Wow, I really messed up my PC

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
cmd.exe is not in system32 folder
msiexec.exe is not in system32 folder
regedit.exe is not in system32 folder (i use regedt32, but just for the record)

I don't know what else isn't in my system32 folder. The thing is, I found cmd, msiexec and regedit in C: \WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\.

I need all 3 files above as they are really crucial to what I do on my PC. I did a full malware scan, virus scan and trojan scan, removed them and rebooted. I am at a loss now, a dead end, a full stop.

edit: yay forgot to add, I'm thinking of copying the ServicePackFiles files to the system32 folder. Problem is, I believe this could lead to undesired results.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
<_< yeh viruses are bad... i gues you can format you computer again.... cmd.exe is a aim of viruses.... msiexec.exe does somethiiiing with msn i gues...

rededit.exe is register edit.. its something like when something start .. like when you start you comp. then msn starts and it register on the regedit.exe

dunno really but i gues you have to format agn.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm tinking of formatting, I only have 1 HDD at the moment (a 120gb forgotnamebrand, partitioned into 2).

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
bapplebo said:
I'm tinking of formatting, I only have 1 HDD at the moment (a 120gb forgotnamebrand, partitioned into 2).
Copy everything of importants to the D: (Second partition) HDD after a good virus scan ofcourse :tired:

Then boot up with the windows cd and format C: and reinstall windows \o/

Then install asap a virus scanner, scan again.

Then put everything of importants to the C: (First partition) and format D: (Second partition).

Good luck.

Best answers
Yeah, it sounds like your too late, the viruses probably got to the system files and ate them up. (yum,yum, yum, regedit :)) You have my vote for formatting man, sorry though.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, so formatting it is. The problem is though, what is the time required? I dont want to sit around doing nothing for 8 hours.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It depends on the size and speed of the drive, really. It shouldn't take you anywhere near 8 hours just for the reformat itself, though. You'll spend much more time backing up your personal files (make sure you don't forget anything - nothing sucks worse than remembering you can't find file X because you forgot to board it onto the ark before the flood) and reinstalling your OS.

If you're not comfortable with doing it by yourself, I'd recommend you get a friend or someone who is to help you.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DragonDude said:
If you're not comfortable with doing it by yourself, I'd recommend you get a friend or someone who is to help you.
Took the words right from my mouth.

I plan to do it this weekend, as I have school for the rest of the week, and one thing I don't want is no computer (incase something goes wrong), if I need to write essays or do some random homework. Also, my brother (who is doing his final exams) will be home, so I guess he could do it for the practice.

Guess I was incorrect, my HDD is 100GB. I'm not so sure about the speed, the Device Manager doesn't tell me much (yes, that actually works O.O).

Thanks to everybody who replied for the help. I really appreciate it!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most drives aren't eactly on par with what they say they are, a 120gig drive is truly not a 120gig drive, it will be lower (sometimes, maybe 107 or 110, or a little higher).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom