WoW and Guildwars

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
READ THIS!! I just want people to tell what they play, no comparisons or what the hell is better.

I'd like a WoW player to give feedbacks about WoW. I would like the guidwars player to do the same. Please don't compare each game. I just want to hear both each users that play the 2 games what they think of it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I play WoW frequently. I have a level 60 Shaman on Shattered Hand.

The game is pretty cool, but I still haven't done anything. As a matter of fact, I finally took down Onyxia today, with something like 30 other people in my guild. It's stuff like that, the big raids, that makes WoW totally awesome. I really just wish I had more time to play it, with a website and a server to run, and school, it makes it very hard. But when I play the game, there's always something cool to do. My best friend is ranked number 4 for PvP in the server, so I usually roll with him, and we take down like 8 people at once sometimes. The PvP is really where the game is at though, it's where the skill is. Monster are almost the same throughout the game, but it isn't so when fighting another player. Well, anyway, back on topic, I LOVE WOW.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As I've played both WoW and Guild Wars, I'll review both.

When you first start playing World of Warcraft, it's fun. The quests are interesting and have quirky aspects that you will remember. You'll remember individual quests. Characters are pretty customizable when it comes to equipment, but not really when it comes to character models. The crafting system is in-depth, and interesting to master. But at the end, you'll only be making a few things. You gain levels quickly, the world is interesting, and you get access to new abilities quickly. The graphics are good, the music is decent, the PVP is decent. There's a lot of stuff to do, especially high level things. But at the very very end, after you've done everything, there's really no reason to play--after you get "the best" equipment, and beat "the last" dungeon, PVP isn't enough of a reason to stay. The roleplaying aspect of WoW is a joke because nobody pays attention to the "RP" tags on servers. Blizzard should put up a notice before making a char. on an RP server, asking if you understand if it's RP, etc.. I quit my level 60 Tauren Druid after a few months of playing, with some closed beta testing beforehand. WoW had just lost all meaning. Blizzard kept ignoring the Druid's concerns in favor of other classes, and there was nothing left to do, but I miss numerous people from my server.

Guild Wars has amazing graphics, plus there's no monthly fee. GW isn't very customizable. Crafting isn't very in-depth.. you need so many materials from different places, there's no real sure way to farm the materials most of the time. GW boasts skill customizability, but you can't really just "pick and choose" random abilities, because a lot of the abilities are pretty much worthless. But there are numerous viable strategies to fight effectively. GW didn't really have staying power for me. The quests seemed all the same, because all that you ever see is really just a pop-up with text, and you follow the minimap. After awhile, you don't read the text, or pay attention. Just follow the minimap. However, there are a few scripted quests which are pretty cool, where you have cutscenes and talk.. those are interesting, but there are only a handful of them. GW also has an interesting world, I spent a few hours in the tutorial world without realizing it was a tutorial--hundreds of people were around me. The thing I didn't like about GW most of all was the playerbase. People CONSTANTLY spam in town what they're selling, the channels are constantly flooded by people trying to out-spam each other. RP is even more unlikely to happen in GW unless you turn off all channels, stay out of town, and only assosciate with friends. GW has decent PVP, but like all PVP (to me), it gets boring eventually when it's just skillset versus skillset. Personally, I don't like GW's heavy reliance on instanced areas, though. I played GW during the beta weekends (briefly) , and in release for about two weeks. I quickly lost interest and don't miss the game at all.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I own and like both GW and WoW.

The scope of WoW is simply awe-inspiring, I readily admit that. The major hit it takes, in my opinion, is from a combination of the fee and the disgusting amount of time you need to devote to get anything interesting (I'd like a mount some time eariler than level 40 >_>). For those of us who are into post-secondary education, that kind of time requirement coupled with a fee is no good. However, the variety of areas, items, armour, etc. is dazzling. The classes are very well balanced, and the fact that the entire server is, to some extent, at war (horde VS alliance) is simply neat.

However, I find that the first few quests (well...not few - my character is at level 20 and I still have an issue with this) are horribly tedious. A person, for instance, could ask me to bring him the heads of 12 bears. Ok! I accept the quest and begin my hunt. I kill some 35 bears before I get the 12 heads that I need (apparently, some of these bears, despite their appearance, don't have heads). I'll return after my valiant efforts to receive my decent (not great) reward, only to get another quest from that same peasant/solider which involes something else from a bear's corpse. Frankly, there are a few too many quests like that, imo. I've never been a fan of those quests - they only generate tedium. However, there are a few quests that may, occasionally, balance that tedium out and are simply a lot of fun to tackle with a group. Plus, the scope of the Alliance-Horde conflict really adds a lot to the game - watching a particular PvE incident in Stormwind showed me that. WoW does, indeed, have more to offer than your typical MMO.

I also found a lot of good points in GW. I REALLY liked that GW's quests focused on moving you through a neat, fantasy story. When you performed a huge, story-affecting mission, you felt like a hero at the end. This varies from a lot of MMO's I've played where major quests involve you waiting for a hero to respawn after some higher-level tank killed him before you got there.

I liked, for the most part, the fact that all non-town areas are instanced. It prevents having to compete with annoying grinders/farmers. You do what you want in your space (unless, of course, you opt to bring a party along). I also liked the emphasis on strategy that I found in GW. The key to progressing through the story (ie: completing a mission) is a good group. Sometimes, that means a well-balanced group (a tank, a healer, a few mages), or that could mean a group that's made entirely of tanks. Not only that, but you need the group members to be attentive and open - people stuck in their ways will likely get you killed. It's a lot of fun to get the right group together and plan your way through the missions as you do them. That's not something I've really done in any other MMO. And, if you can't find a good group for some smaller quests, you can always hire henchmen (for free) to help out. However, enemies that pop out of the ground and the VERY large agro range make for some very tedius exploring in GW....and I mean very tedious at times.

Lastly, I really liked the sense of direction in GW. It's open, in some respects, but there is also a guiding story to follow that leads you through the game's nations. I, for whatever reason, don't always want that "go wherever you want" feeling. Sometimes, frankly, that's too open, and I'll likely end up wandering into a den of beyond-cap-level mosters that will slaughter me.

My recommendation? If you have the time/money, try both. I don't really compare WoW and GW often because I enjoy what each has to offer. A lot of people will condemn GW saying that they prefer WoW, but I think that people are not taking into account the fact that GW was not meant to be another WoW. It offers a completely different feel, and I don't think people should let it slip past simply because it isn't like every other MMO. At the same time, WoW isn't the typical MMO. They have tried, earnestly, to get rid of the grind (and it is present to a lesser extent than other MMO's), and the sheer scope of the game is a selling point in itself. The game is balanced, and the community has several helpful players in it.

Try both, heh.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My experience with WoW has been paramount beyond all other games. In WoW, the combat is interesting, the gameplay mechanics are just 'action' enough to stay interesting, and as Maj said the scope of the game is magnificent. A lot of people say it takes a huge amount of time and devotion to get anything but I am strictly a casual player and have gotten to do most everything in the game so far; getting epic items or doing epic quests in WoW takes like 1/10th the time it takes in an average MMO. The game also is not as exploity as most online games out there.

Currently, WoW is the only thing keeping my growing contempt for the video game world at bay.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have both, GW and WoW.

WoW:WoW has awesome graphics when you have Shaders(My GFX Card isn't too good, can't have shaders on WoW) WoW is fun, yet it's competetive. You might come across some immature people that use caps and stuff. You can also group with asses sometimes. I'd say WoW is worth getting. If you have money to pay montly atleast. WoW has good gameplay. And it's basicly based on Warcraft. The funny/cool thing is, is that, you can have the panda from Panda Express, Diablo, and a Zergling. But you have to pay an extra $5, I heard. But you don't have to pay $5 each month I also heard. WoW is really fun, and you should get it, same with GW D:

GW:Wow, GW has to be one of the funnest games I ever played. Along with World of Warcraft. It has awesome graphics when you have Shaders. Even without your Graphics Card can't use Shaders, the graphics are still amazing. The Attack system is very different then WoW's. IMO I'd say GW has a much better storyline then WoW's. Except, the PVP is different. This is all I have to say because I'm not even far in GW and WoW.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, from what i can observe atleast wow seems pretty good (One of my mates who works at the net cafe never works no more, never behind the counter to serve customers at all and plays wow jsut about all day on warsoul, level 58 and player name is wswu). I might play it in the near future once i have better net, but i'm just really not sure if I should, as i might not be able to control my hours of playying it (infact someone I know has jsut stopped playying wow all together and is now moving on with his teaching studies).

GW doesn't seem that bad ethier from the reviews iv'e read on it and the people that can't afford wow, or when there breoke they can always play GW to keep them going till they can get the money together for another wow game card.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the best way to explain my point of view on WoW can be summed up like this: 5 million people can't be wrong. Heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom