Would you call Goku a gifted fighter?

Best answers
I was watching the Pikkon fight right now. (Sure it is a filler, but heck.) I noticed Pikkon calling Goku "a complete idiot or a fighting genius", and that set me thinking.
Consider Naruto. Uzumaki Naruto is far from being gifted. Not that I am saying that his enormous chakra capability isn't a gift. What I am saying is that he has his skills because of the training Jiraiya put him through. To quote Shippuuden (I havent read those chapters. started Naruto manga at like 250) "Ero-sennin worked me so hard that my clothes tore and even the head band that you (Iruka-Sensei) gave me broke apart and so I had to get myself some new clothes."

And Kurosaki Ichigo from Bleach. This is a double-edged sword (pun unintended). Ichigo is skilled. Surely no one swings a 6 foot Zanpaktou without being skilled. But his later skills did come from training under Urahara, Yoruichi and later the Vizards. Yet, he had enormous skills.

And for One Piece fans, Monkey D Luffy: the lazy captain who never trains and yet pwns every villain out there. Yeah he has pretty much of what you could call a seasonal skill. Gets his skills when he's emotional. NAMI IS MY NAKAMA!!!!111ONENINETHOUSAND

And back to Son Goku. Well. I haven't really ever thought about it. But I feel that Goku did not show much skill in Dragonball. For a human, sure learning the Kamehameha would have been a great feat, but remember that Dragon Ball Z sets the scale a lot higher. In Dragon Ball, where none of us knows or suspects his Saiyan past, he could be considered a gifted fighter. But remember in Dragon Ball Z, things seemed to come easier to him that it did to Vegeta, for instance. Or is it because King Kai's training (both in the Saiyan saga and in the 7 year time gap on Other World) was a much harsher situation that what Vegeta put himself through. This isn't likely, though. I remember that Goku himself says that Vegeta must have pushed his limits even harder than he himself had.
But we have to remember who was the sole person to go Super Saiyan 3.

whew... did I win something for typing all that in?

Gamers - Desire (Host)
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Its so easy..

1.) its a manga/anime..
2.) goku is the main char, the heroe...
3.) goku is a train whore... he trains everyday..

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Goku's whole motif is that hardwork overpowers hierarchy and overconfidence.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
consider to be a gift fighter you must have nature talenty ability. not artifical(like you be training alot) it is come from inside of you naturely. which goku isnt. goku can become powerful and stronger than his past is because he train, but most because his fortune that made him to been teach by good master and having a great training envirorment(trained with king kai, gravity control training during namek saga. been parner with pikkon during underworld training....) goku is just a lucky one that's all.

the real gift fighter must be increasing their power without any artifical element(training, boost after near death also doesnt count!)the only one who ever quarify the test is brolly.

brolly is consider as a true gift fighter

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
consider to be a gift fighter you must have nature talenty ability. not artifical(like you be training alot) it is come from inside of you naturely. which goku isnt. goku can become powerful and stronger than his past is because he train, but most because his fortune that made him to been teach by good master and having a great training envirorment(trained with king kai, gravity control training during namek saga. been parner with pikkon during underworld training....) goku is just a lucky one that's all.

the real gift fighter must be increasing their power without any artifical element(training, boost after near death also doesnt count!)the only one who ever quarify the test is brolly.

brolly is consider as a true gift fighter

Broly is considered a tank...

Eh...we can never be sure just how much Gohan tought Goku before he died, but all Saiyans have a natural ability for fighting. It's easy to explain why he cleaned house through most of Dragonball. When it came to DBZ however...well, now Goku is up against other Saiyans. It's hard to say how much of Goku's ability is natural and how much is just perseverence, since Goku grew up on a relatively low gravity planet, while his Saiyan brethren were subject to ten times what he had to endure.

However, I like to think that Goku has a natural drive to improve which spurs on his sometimes scary increases in power. Even on a low G planet like Earth, he made it to about half of Raditz's strength. If they were equals, then Raditz would quite likely have been ten times Goku's strength, and not 2 times. If Goku had been exposed since birth to the same gravity, he'd have whiped the floor with Raditz by the time they were forced to fight each other.

But we all know once Goku DID experience 10 times normal gravity on King Kai's planet, his improvement was effing fast. Easily surpassing Nappa, and almost equalling Vegeta, who WAS gifted as a fighter.

Really though, I suppose Goku didn't naturally have an advantage at all. His low at-birth power level was enough to have him sent to another planet, ranked third class. But his will and eagerness to work hard is what always gave him the edge. So yes, I think we can call Goku's ability acquired skill through hard work, and not natural talent by conventional means.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd call a gifted fighter someone who can become strong easily by training.
There are people (anime/manga characters) that improve their fighting skill faster than others.
I'd call them gifted, because noone is strong (like uber strong) from birth on (except broly, but he's supposed to be legendary...)

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I always figured that Goku was the result of hard work. While he is naturally strong, he still started at the bottom.

One of the things I think Goku had working for him was constantly fighting stronger opponents than himself. I mean, what would you learn more from, a difficult situation or a simply situation? It can go either way, but generally you learn more from a difficult situation. Goku was constantly testing his abilities against stronger opponents, which resulting in his ever-growing strength and ability. It goes all the way back to Master Roshi and how he pushed Goku and Krillin into competing in the tournaments. Not to mention making sure that Goku nor Krillin won, this way they have something to aim for in their training.

However, when Goku beat Piccolo, thus won the tournament, he really had nothing to aim for since Piccolo was considered the strongest fighter. So, during the transition between Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, Goku slacked off in training, though mainly because of his wife and son. Then Radditz appears, proving to be stronger than Goku and Piccolo combined. Even though they managed to beat Radditz, Radditz told them that two more fighters are coming that are even stronger than him. So, this prompts Goku back into training. Next thing you know, one fight led to another, eventually ending with Majin Buu.

As for Vegeta, he definitely had a natural talent for fighting.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Out of all the examples you listed, Goku's the hardest worker.

Ichigo's power comes from being son of a shinigami and human.

Naruto's power comes from the nine tailed fox.

Luffy's power comes from eating a cursed fruit.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While Goku is a genious with fighting he didnt get that with birth. He got it with training.

Lets go through the main 4 shall we ^^

Brolly - Defenitly not a gifted fighter. While a powerhouse he has not got the smallest sight of a gifted fighter.

Goku - While weak he constantly trained himself along with beeing trained by others to get stronger. He eventually became a genious fighter but that was all due to training. Not actually beeing gifted. Goku is much like Rock Lee in Naruto. A genious at hard work.

Vegeta - Much like Brolly hes a powerhouse among the saiyans. But he also has a bigger tallent for fighting than the others. So yea id call him gifted. Going on with the Naruto examples Neji fits him best.

Gohan - The canon equivalent of Brolly (thats why i put him in there). A powerhouse with no sight of gift. He can only relly on his strength and speed. And cover his lack of style with compleetely overpowering his oponent. If he cant overpower his oponent he looses. That is showed on multiple ocasions with big energy bursts that make his oponent seem totaly weak. But as soon as his oponent was at about an equal level he cant do ****. Sorry no Naruto example for this guy (yet im only watching the anime so i dont know if anyone will show up)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom