With all the bad next-gen news:

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Funny how big blue has it's hands in all three consoles.

I know the winner of the next gen war: IBM.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Cucumba said:
Funny how big blue has it's hands in all three consoles.

I know the winner of the next gen war: IBM.
Hahahaha, so true.

Best answers
So basicially it means that the CPU eats up less electicity and has slightly better preformance than the Gamecube CPU.

Well that could only mean three things.

1. It can be reduced even further when underclocked which all but confirms
that this chipset will be used for the DS2.

2. That Nintendo really cares about your electricity bills.

3. We should be getting Wii in Oct ?

This also confirms much of the speculation a while ago, that has stated that the Wii chip is nothing except an extension of the gamecube CPU. That pretty much means that we wont be seeing anythign about a 1.5 Ghz processor if or when Nintendo will ever announce the system specs.

Also, what's up with this guy anyway ?

He looks as if he's ready to eat them or something.

Anyway's, so the XBOX 360 eats 150 Watts.

The Gamecube eats 39 watts and if this entire console is built around power consumption, and now the Wii will likely eat 24-30 watts and will be Gamecube power + 150% for the specs.

That also explains what their focus has been on for the last 5 years. Which should throws away my previous assumption that, "Nintendo has been working on the chips for 5 years, therefore it might be powerful." No, it wouldn't be powerful if Nintendo spent all the R&D making the chips smaller and eat less electricity.

So I guess they spent those 5 years shrinking the CPU size and making it eat less electricity to run I am not really that shocked at all that the console is comparatively "weak" to my expectations. After all, most of us would focus more on using technology to make hardware more powerful instead of making it more efficient in power consumption and size.

I suppose it's very realistic that the final hardware is somewhere between 800 Mhz and 1.4 Ghz, and I suspect it is much closer to the former than the latter.

This also leads me to my biggest guess, which is that the Wii will likely not have any fans to vent the system because the system produces very little heat.

For the most part, maybe the Wii could possibly show that next generation of consoles could be happening too early. I remember playing Soul Calibur 3 about an month ago for the PS2, and I was utterly shocked at how much the game has improved over it's Dreamcast cousin that came out 5 years before. The PS2 is not that much more powerful than the Dreamcast and yet it produced visuals I thought wasn't possible for a console that is 6 years old.

Since the Wii will provide some marginal improvment over the Gamecube, no matter how small it is. It will have a good shelf life if there are enough 3rd party games to take advantage of it. Hell, the PS2 is 6 years old and is still going strong with graphically stunning games like Soul Calibur 3.

I can't help but estimate that the specs are 800 Mhz - 1.5 Ghz for the CPU and I know it will be in the lower end rather than higher end. Of course once people take advantage of such graphics, I will forget that the system is basically Gamecube 2.0 in terms of graphics

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I highly doubt that a 90 nm chip will rull at 800MHz. Just because it's based on the previous Gekko, doesn't mean that it is the Gekko. For instance, you are running on a computer based on a calculator proccesor, the 8088. Just because most modern processors are based on the core design of the 8088, doesn't mean they run at 8MHz on a 8 bit bus.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Forgive me, but I don't really follow.

Do you mean to imply that it's more likely the CPU will run at much higher than 800 Mhz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom