Windows Messenger Pop-Up Ads

Do you HATE Windows Messenger Pop-Ups?

• Yes, I get them all the time! Kill them!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, never heard of them before in my life.

• Occasionally, but they don't bother me.

• Total voters
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you guys ever get those stupid "Windows Messenger" pop-up ads? It's a program built into WindowsXP, and people abuse it to try to spam you.

It's really annoying, especially in ESF, where in OpenGL mode, if you alt tab, you lose sound. It makes you alt tab.

Anyway, I did some search on google, and I found out it's really easy to stop them.

If you get these, and want to stop them, just do this:

Control Panel--Administrative Tools--Services--and double click 'Messenger.' Change it from Startuptype:Automatic, to StartupType: DISABLED.

Then it won't automatically start again, AND NO MORE STUPID POP-UPS!

Rejoice! Yay!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i dont have this problem...but if you get kicked out of esf and lost the sound just press strg+alt+del
and click on half life and te change to

Best answers
If you dont mind me asking.. what is strg.. ? did u mean crtl?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
he probably does, but that doesnt works for me....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whats the point of this thread? Most people allready know how to do it.. its simple

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yokie said:
Whats the point of this thread? Most people allready know how to do it.. its simple
The point of this thread is to inform people how to stop these annoying 'Windows Messenger' pop-up ads.
No, 'most people,' don't already know how to do it-because even going into the Messenger program and telling it not to come on at Start-up, doesn't even stop it. You have to do it through Admininstrative tools, or it won't work.

This method of spam is becoming ever more common, and I think people will find this thread of some help, if they keep getting these pop-ups.

Just because you didn't find it useful doesn't mean no one will.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Isn't it that a lot of these messages come from people running Kazaa? I've only gotten two messages in my entire internet lifespan, so I think it has something to do with avoiding bad sites and stuff...

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, they don't come from Kazaa.
Any website on the Internet knows your IP address. If you happen to go on any with Pop-Up Ads, as almost all websites do, your IP address can be obtained by spammers.

Also, they enter IPs randomly--so anyone around the world can have a message popup.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm, i cant choose administrative tools in my comp.. o_O

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you running XP?
Go to control panel, make sure you're in "Classic View," then you'll see Administrative Tools.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
No, they don't come from Kazaa.
Any website on the Internet knows your IP address. If you happen to go on any with Pop-Up Ads, as almost all websites do, your IP address can be obtained by spammers.

Also, they enter IPs randomly--so anyone around the world can have a message popup.
I knew that any website knows your ip, thats a part of the whole three-way handshake thing going on there. I've just heard that's where a lot of them come from is people on Kazaa... but disabling it is smart because it's fun to just send messages to everyone on the network using a wildcard and then the schools network admin gets mad and... yeah... stuff...

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i only got these when i turn off my firewall, and also only when running kazaa, maybe coooincedince, but does this aslo kill net sends?

Best answers
Is "Windows Messenger Pop-Up Ads" the same as "Messenger Service"

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, Messenger Service is Windows Messenger. They're very annoying, and that's how you stop them.

Best answers
SailorAlea, im thinkin you installed an IE plugin that allows other people to pop up various crap whenever they want. You really shouldnt get any popups from MSN Messanger, unless you mean the popup when someone comes online. I've heard of a lot of people with popup viruses..

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Once again, Slander, you're not listening to ANYTHING I've said.

Even in my FIRST post,
"It's a program built into WindowsXP, and people abuse it to try to spam you."

WINDOWS MESSENGER is a program BUILT into WindowsXP, and is installed AUTOMATICALLY. Everyone with WindowsXP has this program.
It is NOT MSN Messenger. It is Windows MESSENGER SERVICE.

P.S.-You're welcome, Zereth. Glad it helped you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, when i am in classic, i still cant choose administrative tools, you probably need administator rights for it, and i do, so whats the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom