Windows media Player screws up your iPod?

Best answers
Well, I got this iPod Video 60GB (had it since belgian release), always worked fine on windows with iTunes etc.. Up untill today :/

I was checking a song with Windows Media Player when it hit me that I still had some important stuff on my iPod, so I plug this baby in and all of the sudden WMP starts freaking out with synchronising stuff and changing/applying settings.. Now, ever since, iTunes can't find my iPod..

When I boot my PC and get in windows, my iPod is there, I'm able to access its HD etc, so it works and it is connected.. But when I start iTunes, my iPod vanishes from my desktop and it doesn't show up in iTunes.. After halve a minute or so, it shows up again.. But nothing shows in iTunes, so when I quit iTunes again, the iPod gets disconnected again, just to show up again half a minute later..

Now, when I just start iTunes and the iPod vanishes, and I just leave iTunes open, my iPod shows this dialogue screen stating "Automatic Play" and then the names of the folders on my iPod scroll by.. After a while iTunes gives me an error saying "Unknown error deteced (013), unable to find -name of iPod-) and it goes back to the spamming of that dialoguewindow every minute or so..

What the poop is going on? When I check the iPod options in WMP, everything is set to automatic (detection and synchronising), switched them to "manually" but that didn't fix the problem..
I can't even check my iPod-properties from within iTunes because it can't find any iPod -_-

I'll try and get some screens of this weird stuff later..

Edit 1: tried iPod update to update or repair the iPod software.. Both failed because it failed to write to disc -_-
Edit 2: seems like the repair ****ed up my iPod real bad now :/ The OS has been switched back to the basic black & white OS and when I try to start the ipod, I get an icon of a folder with a "!" next to it and a link to the apple support site.. I went to that site, tried every possible solution to what seems to be my problem, but nothing worked.. WHen i try iPod Updater new, I get: "iPod ServiceError"

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you tested your ipod in another pc to verify if it's your pc or ipod that is causing the problem?. Was your ipod connected during a time your pc was accessing it and did you unplug your ipod in the middle of the process? (possible cause).

Best answers
Doesn't work on other computers, so it's actually the iPod that failed.. I tried the final solution to fixing this iPod (putting it into Diskmode and resetting it), but that failed.. Guess it's back to the store with this one :(

And no, I never unplugged this iPod in an insecure way.. I always did the "Remove Hardware Safely" thingy from windows.. Only thing I did before it went FUBAR, was plug it in while WMP was running -_-

Best answers
Usually using the iPod updater to reset your iPod to factory settings would do the trick, but you say you've tried that?

It's just unfortunate that you had the WMP synchronisation options active when you plugged in your iPod.

Best answers
Yeah, same thing happened when I plugged in my mom's digital camera to my PC.... WMP automatically sychronized all its music to the Digicam. But It was no where near as bad as your problem.

It sounds like your Ipod is better off back at the store.

Best answers
Yea, mailed the helpdesk of the applestore where I bought my iPod.. They sent back a final solution that really -is- the final solution a user can do to reset his iPod.. I tried it and it didn't work.. If that didn't work, they said, I had to bring it in for repairs (waranty ftw)

Update: I was able to fix the iPod software to the up-to-date OS.. But Now i'm still having problems with the iPod showing up in iTunes.. When I plug it in, windows detects it and shows it.. When I start iTunes, the iPod gets disconnected just to connect again a minute later.. When I close iTunes, it connects again and stays connected untill I start iTunes again, if I do that, it disconnects again.. I tried everything.. Format, different USB-port, reinstall of itunes and ipodservice.. Nothing works >_<

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
K not sure if it's not mensioned but here's a try.

Plug-in your iPod.

Edit > Preferences > iPod

Check "Open Itunes when blablabla."

Uncheck Disk Use.

I had a smiliar problem.

If that doesn't work.

Restore your iPod. Then uninstall iTunes and the iPod Updater and install the software again but input your iPod key into the serial thing and it should recogonize it if it's plugged into the computer.

If it that doesn't work.

Damn can I have your iPod? xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom