Windows 8 - Lacking permissions to write in C (root)

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Now, I've recently installed Windows 8 and it works great. Now, for the main question. I'm having permissions issues within C:\ (Root) directory of Windows.

Whenever I attempted to create a file, let's say a document (txt) file, I get this:

Now, I've already attempted a lot of things. My account is already an administrator, I've already changed my own user policies to admin and access to root, heck I even used a few CMD functions to set my permissions. While it says it succeeded, I still lack the permission. Further more, when I enable the main administrator account and login from there, I seem to have full access and I'm able to create files. Oddly enough, while my own windows profile has the exact same permissions as the admin account.

I've spend hours and hours to solve this issue of which includes searches through Google.. But all failed.

Any idea's?

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Can you screenshot that permissions tab?
Also, did you upgrade or clean install Win8?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
It's a clean installation, so I find it weird I lack permissions.

I'd like to add though that I "had" limited permissions when I first changed it. Received a bunch of errors when I changed the settings to a bunch of directories when it changed the permissions for me seeing it had to alter every single directory to give me access.

Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Doubtful. According to Google, this permission issue applies to Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
One thing you can try, is create a new account, set the group to administrators and login with that one.

Oldtimer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Disable UAC.
If that doesn't work you need to run your program as Administrator through the security\compatitiblity settings.
Ever since Vista, Windows has basically had two administrator-types. There's the default one, that you can assign with usergroups etc. The one from Windows XP and before (basically).
Then there is the new level which pertains to UAC and certain actions taken by programs. The only way around this is to either disable UAC (my favorite, I hate that thing with a passion) or to "Run program as administrator".

EDIT: I also would not recommend messing with the ownership of root if you can avoid it.
EDIT2: While I agree with the philosophy "It's my PC, I want to do on it what I want", I wouldn't recommend saving files to C-Root. Keep it clean. Use a C:\Temp if you absolutely have to save something in there.

Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
UAC is already disabled, as I always do that in every windows installation. I'm not attempting to run a "program", I'm attempting to take over root of my C partition. I always save files in my C partition, heck.. I never had any issues with it. I don't want to be limited, period.

I know it's a copy/paste Mystacx. As I've seen that type of text in my hours of search ;).

One thing you can try, is create a new account, set the group to administrators and login with that one.
Yea.. creating accounts is weird with W8..

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
11:06 PM [Deverz] Administative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management
11:06 PM [Deverz] Or the Win 8 equivalent
11:07 PM [Deverz] Try that

Oldtimer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Wasn't a copy\paste, but it was a paraphrase, thank you very much. And you didn't mention anything about UAC being disabled, so I thought I'd mention it.

As for you not running a program. Right; then how would you be saving a file then? Magic?
In any case, I'm installing Windows 8 to a VM as we speak, I'll see if I run into the same problem. If not, best solution is another reinstall.

Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
*shrugs*, I'll just give up. Don't really feel like it wasting more time. Luckely, I had windows 8 installed along with Windows 7. <3

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
windows 8 = blasphemy....

They're trying so hard to sell it with all the commercials on tv (in belgium at least)
it's just weird that they are even trying that hard. i never saw any commercial for windows 7 lol

--- edit ---

oh btw this might be your problem: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/507-built-administrator-account-enable-disable.html
you need built in admin i guess

Oldtimer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
After wrecking 3 keyboards because of the insanity that putting a touchscreen menu on a non-touchscreen device is; found the problem and can fix it but it has a downside.

The problem in windows 8 is that we can't completely disable (or suppress) User Account Control. According to people more into windows 8 then I am, UAC is actually required for the majority of the Metro interface (or whatever MS is calling it now). So the slider we used to disable and supress it in 7 doesn't actually do what it did before. It simply disabled the prompts.

Please keep in mind that the following solution breaks metro-style apps.

WIN+R. Run secpol.msc, Local policies, Security options.
Third option from the bottom should be "User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode". Set this to DISABLED.
Reboot.

Problem fixed. Mind you, metro will no longer work. Basically breaking the entire metro thing.

Other option's ive now tested and actually work is running all your programs "as administrator". This doesn't break anything but does hold a bit of extra effort.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Thanks, I shall give that a try. Though I don't really mind, seeing I don't use the metro UI at all. Or rather, barely.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have only 1 question.

Can metro be totally bypassed for the standard windows look and feel and does that include my beloved quick launch bar?

Just a nice person :)
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Force Pit Member
Best answers
My girlfriend bought a Windows 8 computer, the Asus Vivobook with the touch screen. Unfortunately, I didn't like it at all and I think she will stay away from "Metro". I was so confused by Windows 8 and couldn't find anything anymore :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom