Windows 7 - Operation System Not Found

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
My GF had 2 HDD's. One with Windows 7 and the other one wasn't used at all but both were connected when windows 7 was being installed. I've removed the one that wasn't used at all as I needed it for my own PC. But after I booted up the PC again it keeps showing the error "Operation system not found" and I'm pretty sure windows has been installed on this one. BIOS can find the hdd as well.

I've already tried using W7 boot repair but that doesn't seem to work.. google didn't gave me much help either, any idea's?

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It might be that with both hdd's in the comp at the same time while installing 7 as the install it left an hidden boot sect on the empty Drive best thing to do is format and reinstall 7

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Yea, I know that the empty HDD has been used to make a boot section. (which makes me wonder why on earth it would do such a thing) I just want to solve that issue without the need for a format/reinstall.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well you could try the fixboot on the windows disk again and if all else fails formating my be the only way

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
well you could try the fixboot on the windows disk again and if all else fails formating my be the only way
I tried the bootfix twice, doesn't seem to do anything.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you can't get into the OS to perform the usual diagnostics, the only thing you can really do is format.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Fixed it

Repair Vista Boot Loader
If dual booting Windows & Linux, and also use GRUB, if you remove the Linux partition(s) you probably can no longer boot Windows. While this is very easy to fix if the Windows operating system is XP or earlier, it is a bit more complicated (but still easy to do) in Windows Vista.

More often than not, when removing Linux partitions in a dual boot Vista-Linux environment, or when using GPARTED to resize partitions, Vista can no longer boot.

Windows Vista uses a different boot loader than earlier versions of Windows. Fortunately the Vista bootable DVD contains a utility for repairing the MBR and boot sections of the hard drive. To repair the Vista bootloader: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

However, the utility mail fail on any action and give an error message of "Element not Found". This is because resizing the Vista partition(s) or Linux partition(s) changes the disk's file allocation table and the Vista partition may get marked as "inactive". The same holds true when removing or resizing Linux partitions. A boot partition MUST be marked as "active" to be bootable.

The remedy for "Element not Found" is this:

1.Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
2.Press a key when you are prompted.
3.Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
4.Click Repair your computer.
5.Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. (if no Vista operating system is listed, click Next anyway)
6.In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Next:

At the command prompt, type diskpart.
This will get you to the DiskPart prompt, which allows you to use a variety of hard disk partitioning and formatting tools similar to FDISK in older versions of Windows.

At the DiskPart prompt, type select disk # where the # sign is the number of the hard disk drive with Vista installed on it. If your Vista drive is the only hard drive in your computer, it is Disk 0.

Select the partition by typing select partition # where the # sign is the partition that has Vista installed on it.

Type active and press ENTER. The Vista partition is now active. Finally, type 'exit' to close DiskPart. Reboot the computer using the Vista dvd and follow steps 1-6 above. You can now repair the Vista boot:

Fix the Master Boot Record: (commands)

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /rebuildbcd
bootrec /fixboot
BOOJA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom