Wii console specs unvelied

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh, the PS2 has the works graphics when it comes to being compared to the Gamecube and XBox and that is the system I play the most out of the three. Graphics that are a step above the gamecube and just over the X-Box should do fine. Graphics will probably be great, definitely not "360" or "PS3" great, but if the game is fun that's great enough for me.

But, it does suck if there is a multi platform game that the Wii won't get due to it's power...But if the graphic range between PS2 and XBox aloud the same game for both consoles, shouldn't it do the same here? I am unbiased when it comes to these next generation consoles. but I really hope wii-exclusive games aren't mini-game/gimmicky like just so you have a reason to use the controller.

Best answers
~*Logan*~ said:
Gameplay > Graphics. Anyone that disagrees is an idiot.
I would reflect this back by saying YOU are a idiot.

How to hell can you say that on a "next-gen" destined console? Rofl.
Of course it has to have gameplay AND graphics, otherwise there would be no freaking point.

They need to show that it's capable of following todays technology.
Sure I mean, everyone who can write a godly story can probably make that game good in 2d(as long as he is an artist blabla), and classic games will always be the best, but for NEXT GEN consoles, you MUST have next-gen "art". Whole point.

Best answers
Godhand said:
I would reflect this back by saying YOU are a idiot.

How to hell can you say that on a "next-gen" destined console? Rofl.
Of course it has to have gameplay AND graphics, otherwise there would be no freaking point.

They need to show that it's capable of following todays technology.
Sure I mean, everyone who can write a godly story can probably make that game good in 2d(as long as he is an artist blabla), and classic games will always be the best, but for NEXT GEN consoles, you MUST have next-gen "art". Whole point.
He never said graphics didn't matter just that gameplay is far more important.
I don't really care if the graphics aren't that huge of a leap from the gamecube, that's why I'm also getting a ps3 for.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OMFG THE WII DOESN'T HAVE 9,000,000 GIGAWATS!?!?!? AND THAT 700,000 GIGAHERTZ QUADROPLE CORE PROCESSOR!?!?!?! FAILL!!!!

Seriously...like it really matters. Look at the ps2, it was the least powerful of all the 6th generation consoles and did that effect it's sales or third party support? HAHA, NO! As a matter of fact, I'm sure it pwned all the other 6th generation consoles in sales :O~~ and had imo the best third party support of the 6th generation consoles. So tell me again how a console being the most powerful has any effect on its future?

Best answers
MoSys, producers of the Wii?s main memory, have confirmed several details of the console?s main memory, performance and shipping date in a recent webcast discussing 2nd quarter financial results.

Among the different topics discussed was a tidbit of Wii information, particularly on the main memory the console will use:

- The Wii will be using 1T-SRAM as previously confirmed in May, R version.
- 1T-SRAM-R includes transparent error correction, that?s useful to correct any memory errors during operation and is accomplished without adding any silicon area or cost to the unit.
- 90nm process (more information.
- NEC is shipping chips at the end of Q2 2006.
- For the Wii, MoSys is getting 50-70% of royalties per unit over the GameCube due to increased volume.

This reconfirmation the Wii will be using 1T-SRAM-R certainly puts a large dent on various websites? claims to holding leaked Wii specifications.
Stay tuned for further updates.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/5648
I guess there's no way to tell if any of the specs are true, until Nintendo let's everyone know themselves. Im not expecting it to be far off though. The only thing magical that the Wii can do at this point, is to do an " Xbox 360 " and magically double the RAM before the console comes out. Of course, we don't know how much was there in the beginning so magically doubling it means nothing to us because we never knew the amount of RAM from the beginning.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In reply to the concerns voiced above:

Developers who are staying away from the PS3:
Atari
SNK

...who cares? There are 500 others, number one...and number two...when was the last time either of them did something I cared about? A top tier title I ran out and bought for the console?

Currently Cancelled games:
Endless Saga
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 -- Possible continuation in 2007

Cancelled for launch titles. Endless Saga will be out later, I wager; SDvR07 is near and dear to my heart and that one is also full on cancelled, but only because it can't be done in time for co-release with the other versions. The company updates the game every year and the time it would take to fully utilize the PS3 for it's respective version would set them behind for 2008's installment. That's the only reason why that was done.

Either way, I don't think either of these games is on the Wii (SDvR can't be;the controller can't do it), so your point only further serves to illustrate my initial gripe.

Lost exclusives:
GTA4
Crap, and glad to see it go.

Unreal Tournament 2007
It's a PC game, doesn't belong on a console anyway.

Assassin's Creed
Wherever it ends up it will still be too good for the Wii to render.

How do you know exclusivity is 'lost' on these? How do you know they haven't reached a licensing agreement of some sort and are in fact going to make extra money 'publishing' the other version? Even so, lost exclusives are impossible; contractually speaking there wouldn't be such an easy hole in the clause. These games were going to come out multiplatform since day one, none of them are actually 'exclusive.'
DragonQuest will probably move to the Wii

Not to mention, developers like EA and Ubisoft have far more games in developement for the Wii than the PS3.
EA and Ubisoft both suck. I can go into detail about that but I don't want to go too far into other points. But far as I'm concerned you can have them. They only jumped ship because of that gimmick controller anyway.

If Sony flops at TGS like they did at E3, more developers will be pulling out. Sony will also lose a majority of their fanbase with their $600 pricetag.
Most of Sony's fanbase can afford that 600 dollar pricetag. And most of us heard this same type of trash talk last year, and the year before, and the year before that, and...you still lost. By a longshot.

it's gaining major appeal to non-gamers as well as casuals
The exact kind of people I don't want in MY industry. They hold us back. People like that are why games like WoW have to have freaking dial up support and all that backward compatibility crap that ruins it for the rest of us...because people don't have a true interest in the hobby.

Let me ask you, if you built really detailed models, wouldn't you be pissed if 500 other dudes built snap together 4 piece pre-painted models, got as much cred and pride from it as you and your hard effort did, and then the local model store started to only carried those kinds of models, therefore ruining your hobby?

No, it gives 3rd-party some breathing room. Nintendo is it's own worst enemy and if they released that title at launch, then their 3rd-party support will drop faster then an elevator on a 2 story building.
Why is it that you guys think Nintendo's third party support is lackluster by accident? They do that strictly on purpose--every title is an exclusive niche title which you and/or your mom will buy in earnest, giving them exclusive revenue in all aspects of the game's creation. They don't have low support because they released a game that made other devs not feel good about competing with it--they have low support because they WANT ALL YOUR MONEY FOR THEMSELVES.

The success they've been experiencing with the Nintendo DS has been extraordinary, and that same success, in my opinion, will most likely carry over to the Nintendo Wii.
It's a toy for kids, that moms buy to keep them shut up on the ride to school. It's success is a testament to the poorness of american parenting. And on top of that it is only doing so well because it receives no legitimate competition (the PSP marketing is half assed, in other words).

Bottom line, I ain't worried. None of these are deal breakers, not in the slightest. It'll do as well as it always has. But I'm confident it will remain dead last.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is the last stop before thread derailment. This is not another PS3 vs Wii argument, this is a discussion on Wii's hardware. Do not turn it into a fanboy chestthumping thread, or I will take it with me back to the cold Pacific depths.

Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
It's a toy for kids
Oh please, the little kid meme is overplayed and overdone so stop using it as an insult to us Nintendo fans.

ANYWAY: Specs aren't the greatest but are better than my computer so it works well in the end I suppose. It is nice to see some speculation to the system specs. Haven't heard a thing about it for a couple of months (Maybe May during E3?).

Edit: I swear my fingers want to kill me...(Had to fix alot of typos)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
~*Logan*~ said:
Gameplay > Graphics. Anyone that disagrees is an idiot.
That's an opinion, If it was a fact then why the **** was Nintendo 64 and Playstation created.

Best answers
mf29 said:
That's an opinion, If it was a fact then why the **** was Nintendo 64 and Playstation created.
Actually > means "greater than" which means that gameplay is more important than graphics and most gamers would agree.
The nintendo 64 and playstation were created for greater graphics/true 3d which meant more space which means more gameplay. Also it has more power which meant that it allowed for more eyecandy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom