Why go with Vista?

Best answers
After checking and doublechecking the vista site (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/) I've come to the conclussion that there is absolutely -no- reason for me to go with Vista.. What is so special about Vista that you can't do with WinXP or even Win2k?
Window-previews in taskbar? I have it on my WinXP..
Previews when alt-tabbing? I have it on my WinXP..
New and improved Explorers? It's just Win98 explorer with vista looks..
Easy quicksearch to find stuff? Ctrl+F doesn't work for the people at Microsoft or what?

Really.. If someone knows a good reason to actually get Windows Vista, please share it with me.. And I'm talking about good reasons here, not some lame stunt by Microsoft to force ppl to get Vista (things like getting the new Halo game on Vista only)

I can recreate everything that Vista can, just by using stuff to customize my windows.. And the funniest thing is: it'll all run for less than 20mb physical memory, instead of the 800mb that Vista needs to work..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DirectX10, future games that are being specially made with the OS in mind, massively improved aesthetics (fully 3D desktop, light emission effecting windows etc...), different registry system. That's all that came to mind, i'm sure there's loads more. Currently i'm not swayed to purchase it but it won't be out this year so they've got time to persuade the sceptics (self included).

Best answers
You have to upgrade if you want dx 10. Thats the only reason to buy it if your a gamer.

Best answers
I said good reasons.. All I read in these 2 replies is "you HAVE to upgrade, or else MS won't give you product xx".. That and stuff that can be easily added to XP with third party software..

The only thing I am interested in, though, is the new registry system.. Someone care to explain what this new system is?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't write Vista or anything but I doubt you'll be able to get DX10 (and thus future PC games) onto an XP machine with 'third party software'. Software requires a certain build of DirectX (which is why you see 'requires DirectX 7 or higher' on the back of software boxes) to run. It's not that Microsoft chose not to give DX10 to their other OS's, rather they can't because it's not compatible. How's that for a good reason?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

Pay special attention to the 'Future of DirectX' section.

For more new features: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista#New_features

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The question isn't "Why get Vista" but "Why not get vista"

Upgrades ftw. I love Vista with every inch of me.

Wikipedia sucks **** said:
Speech recognition is fully integrated into Vista, which can be "trained" to understand a user's voice, to activate commands in any Windows application, and to enable voice dictation.
That's ****ing ownage. I'm going to be sitting there talking to my PC. Oh wait, no I'm not, because I don't have the ram to support it.

sorry i must have been high or something, didn't mean to double post =x

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Watch the douple posts, Phoenis ;)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If I have a good enough pc for vista i'll use it, If I don't however, then microsoft has just lost a customer.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wtf... i double posted? Erm... that's.... odd.... sorry, i'll fix that and merge them together.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most people arent going to hop over to Vista the day it comes out. I was still using 2k when XP came out, and I didnt upgrade for about a year and a half. Youll get Vista with your next computer, and until then it just isnt all that important.

Best answers
If I would get myself a new PC, I still wouldn't use Vista.. I'd rather use WinXP that has 20 times less memory load than Vista..

Back in the days, one would say: "Hmm, I might get myself some more RAM because 3D Studio Max isn't rendering fast enough".. With Vista, people will go: "Hmm, I need more RAM because it takes 5 minutes for the start-menu to pop open >_<"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know I sure as hell won't be 'upgrading' to Vista unless I absolutely need to.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
http://mirrordot.org/stories/451603e72396736d3165314be64e9a25/index.html

Aero actually looks pretty decent, but they need to use heavier anti-aliasing on all fonts though... currently the text looks far sharper on my linux desktop than in all the various (high-res jpeg) screenshots I've seen...

Currently GNOME (+ XGL) does everything Vista will do, window wobbling, the "expose" trick, thumbnail previews of movies/images on the desktop, etc., and on far less powerful hardware. I will still probably acquire Vista and try it out, but I don't see myself using it for any reason other than testing/becoming familiar with it for tech support purposes

Best answers
Hmm, that GNOME thing looks interresting.. Anyone care to explain what it exactly does?
My guess is that it just hooks WinXP (like StyleXP etc) and allows you to add stuff?

What if I just want the expose feature and wobbling? Is it possible to get those 2 features only?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Kimfu said:
Hmm, that GNOME thing looks interresting.. Anyone care to explain what it exactly does?
My guess is that it just hooks WinXP (like StyleXP etc) and allows you to add stuff?

What if I just want the expose feature and wobbling? Is it possible to get those 2 features only?
The mirrordot link was showing shots of the latest build of Vista... in case you interpreted my post incorrectly.

Refer to this post: http://forum.esforces.com/showpost.php?p=719293&postcount=7

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.0/screenshots/ <- THAT is GNOME, although you can customize it a bit more than they do

GNOME is a window manager for linux/X11-based systems. Nothing to do with Windows or anything Windows-based. Sorry if I caused any confusion. I was merely stating that the desktop setup I use on linux does basically Aero does with a little customization on my part, and with much lower system requirements. :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was thoroughly unimpressed with those Vista screens.

XGL looked far more bad ass. o/

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I'm not going to use Vista at all, with such high system requirements, there is no need for me to move to Vista. I'm using a 1GHZ system, 720MB Ram memory, and a GeForce 2 GTS Video card and I can use Windows XP just simple fine. As said above, with Vista's requirements. I don't even dare to use it. Oh, and before you ask it. I know my computer is a little sucky, but I can use it just fine. But at the moment, I just can't afford to upgrade yet due lack of money :p.

Best answers
I'll pat my trusty Windows 2k pro :)
bsides every1 knows that Vista stands for Virusses, Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware :D

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sephize said:
I'll pat my trusty Windows 2k pro :)
bsides every1 knows that Vista stands for Virusses, Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware :D
Good joke there :D.

Some new games may only be able to be played on vista, as I remeber a thread not long ago stating "halo 2 on vista". Considering that vista consumes 800mb of memory while Idle, it's a bit of a dam bloat. Half of it is being recoded though thus causing the delay, I wonder if they will take the time to come to there cencsors and realise that the whole world is not made of money.

Better hardware = more money = just to get/run vista = bad selling point for microsoft unless someone buys a machine from an oem that has vista on it or someone goes and builds a pc then purchases a copy of vista.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom