Why does my pc randomly crash?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We'll, i could just be on desktop or maybe on a game and the pc will just restart itself. This is becoming extremely annoying. Is there a setting i may have to turn off or something? Any help at all, or a reason why its doing this will be very helpful :smile:

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You don't got that blaster worm do you?

*Also, what OS are you running?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Could be overheating, make sure your fans are working. Could be bad RAM, could be a bad motherboard. Usually that problem means something is seriously wrong, unless it's just an annoying virus.

Best answers
Hehe.. Does it say "you have 50 seconds before the computer restarts" or so and just counts down? I had that but if you choose drive (called Kör in swedish) I think its drive.. From the start menu, You can write "Shutdown -a" without the " but this will do some odd things to some links, The copy paste thing and sometimes on kazaa but it will work again when you start over..

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Try replacing your ram. I've seen 2 computers that would restart themselves and it becamse more and more frequent. After much aggrevasion we found it was bad ram.

Best answers
I just had this problem a few days ago, its not the MS Blaster however, I'm not sure what it is but I know thats not it. I fixed it by reformatting and going to Windows 2000 Pro.
Also bad RAM wouldn't let you start your computer at all, it would get to the bootscreen and just restart, if you can get into Windows chances are it isn't your RAM.
Windows XP has been getting hammered lately with efficiant viruses and worms, so be on the look out. Run an anti virus program and make sure you have the latest definitions for it. Also activate your firewall.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, broken ram won't however i had a friend who's RAM slowly died. Hic computer constantly kept shutting down 30 minutes into anything. It became more consistent until it wouldn't start up at all. Bought some new RAM, viola, problem gone. I thought it was quite odd.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, i dont have the blaster worm virus, i know all about that, and i've already fixed it once before. I have updated my ram recently, so its not that (512 ddr ram) Yeah i have Windows XP.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
512 DDR? Isn't that a little lopsided for an XP machine? Or am I thinking of another kind of ram?

Just because you just updated the ram doesn't mean it's okay. You could have a bad sector on one of your ram sticks; this will slowly leak memory until eventually your computer has no ram usage worth mentioning and won't even turn on anymore.

At least that's what I THINK happens.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think your mistaking it for SDR ram. Thats what i updated it from. Thanks anyway.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This happened to me, means your mobo is on the verge of dying, or your cpu is dying.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I had this problem before Go Buy a New Fan for ur comp yeah it worked for me (use The *Coolmod Fan*
keeps ur comp overheating and stop freazking like crazy

Best answers
:eek:
do this

right click on my computer/properties/advanced/ at startup and recovery go in settings and uncheck automaticly restart,
^^^^^
That wont make it stop restarting, before restarting, a blue screen will appear, and at the top ull see wuts the error (some thing like blabla_blabla_blabla) and down the screen ull see wuts the hardware doing the error

its prolly a hardware error, my modem does that all the time

one of the way to remove it is to updates ur drivers
or change the part doing the error, or get used to it

next time ur comp will restart, if the blue screen doesnt appear, well i dunno wuts wrong >_<
and u have a p4 or a AMD?

Best answers
GhostfaceKillah said:
This happened to me, means your mobo is on the verge of dying, or your cpu is dying.
Thats not necessarily true, listen I just had this problem, I'm quite sure its a type of worm or virus, but I cant be too sure, I was forced to reboot to a diffferent OS, because it got to the point where I couldn't get past the bootscreen without it restarting. I formatted and went back to 2k, things work fine now. It could be a hardware issue for you, but it could be other things as well.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmmm well thanks again but the problem seems to have stopped o_O

Well, i just had the pc reformatted, could have possibly been something to do with that, but i've had it back a few days now, and it hasn't happend for ages.

Thanks for all the tips and stuff, much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom