Why does MS3d make you pay???

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey, I just thought I'd go out on a limb here and ask why-tf people call Milkshape freeware and how "everybody" has it if they make you pay an outrageous $25 fee to use it after 30 days??? We all know noobs don't pay for things, so how come all the noobs seem to use this program forever??? I know I wouldn't pay $10 for this program due to functionality, I'd rather use that sort of cash to get something worth my coin.

I just want to know how all the D-class noobs are using this program if its not freeware, as it obviously should be since its such a piece of crap for modelling. But unfortunately, its the only program that can compile, decompile and export .mdls' and .smds'.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
you can compile models without ms3d.
You just need studiomdl, essentially the same thing ms3d uses yet a bit more advanced.
ms3d never was freeware anyway. Its shareware.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, it's such a shame that a useful, multiformat modelling tool costs an exorbitant $25. I, for one, sure wouldn't pay that, when the price tags of the alternatives are measly hundreds or thousands!

Valve didn't use Milkshape to develop a single model, so why you think it's the "only program that can compile, decompile and export .mdls' and .smds" eludes me.

If you don't think it's worth the price, they have their own forums where you can complain about it. We're not the Chumbalum Soft marketing department.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, I caved and bought the thing online. I have the stupid registration code, but where to you put it in? All it says when I start it is that the copy is expired and I need to register. It says keep MS3D open for at least 2 minutes to complete registration...okay, so what's the code for now? I'm utterly confused.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers

Post edited. how about we dont support warez eh?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Uh...I just said I bought it over the Internet. Its okay, I never realized you had to go into "about" and hit the register button. I thought after the trial ended that a window would popup. Thank you!

Best answers
.. man that's a stupid question.. why does ms3d make u pay... because the person who made it.. want's money for all the hard work he did on it.

Best answers
J-Dude said:
Okay, I caved and bought the thing online. I have the stupid registration code, but where to you put it in? All it says when I start it is that the copy is expired and I need to register. It says keep MS3D open for at least 2 minutes to complete registration...okay, so what's the code for now? I'm utterly confused.
Go to Help - About ,Hit register and input your name and the registration code and press ok. Open Milkshape again and keep it open for 2-3 minutes. Close milkshape. After that milkshape is registered.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jasonc said:
.. man that's a stupid question.. why does ms3d make u pay... because the person who made it.. want's money for all the hard work he did on it.
Ha. And again, I say ha.

MS3D is only good for converting and compiling stuff for game editing. It sucks major ass when it comes to modelling. GMax is totally free, and besides its lack of export/compile abilities, its far superior to MS3D. I'd much rather use GMax if I could find plugins for the gaming stuff.

Again, if the people who made Milkshape are so good at creating a 3D editing engine, then why don't they make something that can compete with Max? Because they can't, so they scrape money off their piece of crap program which with any other company would be freeware.

Anyway, I already got it to work, thank you anyway. Any mods can close this now, there isn't much more room for discussion without software patriot flame-wars.

Best answers
well if u atually looked in to it.. milkshape3d 2 is coming out soon.. and it has been said to be as good if not better than s max >_>

Best answers
im not a fan of ms3d and if a ms3d 2 comes out ill still prob use max, i just find it a easier program alround

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
MS3D is only good for converting and compiling stuff for game editing. It sucks major ass when it comes to modelling. GMax is totally free, and besides its lack of export/compile abilities, its far superior to MS3D. I'd much rather use GMax if I could find plugins for the gaming stuff.
That's really down to personal preference. I for one love MS3D and it's what I do all of my work on. It's nice, simple, easy to use. Alot of stuff in ESF is from Milkshape, it's a great program.

Again, if the people who made Milkshape are so good at creating a 3D editing engine, then why don't they make something that can compete with Max?
Simply put? Cause it would cost more. The reason Milkshape is around and is so successful is because it's affordable and easy to pick up. It makes gaming accessible to people just starting out.

Look at it this way, you're just starting school and you know nothing about math, would you rather buy a small calculator with just the functions you know you'll need for a few dollars? Or spend a couple hundred on a scientific graphing calculator you wouldn't even begin to know where to start with?

No one would spend $400 for a program on a mere whim when they thought they "might" like to try 3D design. But if you could get a capable program that could do everything you need for game design (it may not have the bells and whistles but it has everything you really need) for only $25? Perfect!

In the end, Milkshape is a great program. Stop bashing it so much.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
omg who edited my post i dindt do any warez......

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
Importer: http://pages.videotron.com/browser/

Look towards the bottom of the page. Unfortunately I couldn't find an exporter.

Source: http://www.turbosquid.com/Forum/Index.cfm/stgAct/PostList/intThreadID/16045

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kama said:
That's really down to personal preference. I for one love MS3D and it's what I do all of my work on. It's nice, simple, easy to use. Alot of stuff in ESF is from Milkshape, it's a great program.

Simply put? Cause it would cost more. The reason Milkshape is around and is so successful is because it's affordable and easy to pick up. It makes gaming accessible to people just starting out.

Look at it this way, you're just starting school and you know nothing about math, would you rather buy a small calculator with just the functions you know you'll need for a few dollars? Or spend a couple hundred on a scientific graphing calculator you wouldn't even begin to know where to start with?

No one would spend $400 for a program on a mere whim when they thought they "might" like to try 3D design. But if you could get a capable program that could do everything you need for game design (it may not have the bells and whistles but it has everything you really need) for only $25? Perfect!

In the end, Milkshape is a great program. Stop bashing it so much.
You pretty much summed what I was going to say. ;_;

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom