Why does Gamestop suck so bad?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My friend preordered Smackdown Vs. Raw 2006 for me for my birthday. He gave me the receipt.

I hate Gamespot but I say what the hell.

Game's due out on the 14th. I call. "Not in, tomorrow, bye." [click].

I call up again this morning. "This afternoon."

I'm pissed, because I have to work this afternoon and won't be back until WELL after Lamespot closes. The reason why I am angry, though, is because I preordered it. It is a preorder, I confirmed it over the phone, NOT a reserved copy.

By the time I get home these idiots will have surely sold out as I'm hearing lots of reports of Gamestop carrying as few as 20 copies a store. So I've got a paid preorder that guarantees me...nothing.

Oh wait, it did get me something. All my friends who preordered at EB have the game this morning (or last night even). So basically I have a paid preorder to get the game late, possibly not even at all until the next shipment (Thursday). The guy told me when I confirmed the preorder that they were only expecting 25 copies. What is wrong with these people? And I guarantee they're going to try and force me to get a bunch of warranties, strategy guides, and crap magazine and newsletter subscriptions, too.

Choads.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gamestop kicked me out yesterday because it was before 3 oclock and Im 17 (Im in Hightschool =/). I showed them my program card and pointed to the part that says I get out 6th period which is around 12:15. They guy didnt care and so I had to leave. I went back today and they tried kicking me out again, but I remembered their manager was working there today so I asked them to get him. He came by, said it was ok for me to be there, and now I shouldn't have any problems staying in the store for more than 2 seconds.

I hate their employees and I hate their selection of games. I also hate that people sell their games to gamestop for 10 bucks and then gamestop sells it to everyone else for $50.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When Tenkaichi came out, I called around the stores--they all said they wouldn't be getting it till tomorrow. But one Gamestop guy said "It doesn't come out till tomorrow." I told him, "I'm looking at the official website--and it says today." "Nope! Tomorrow."

I felt like telling him off: "Just because YOU don't get your shipment in until tomorrow doesn't mean the game hasn't been released, jackass!" .. but I didn't say it. Needless to say I didn't buy the game from his store. :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
I hate their employees and I hate their selection of games. I also hate that people sell their games to gamestop for 10 bucks and then gamestop sells it to everyone else for $50.
Omg dude, EB is worse by far for selling games. I had to "Trade" 8 of my games to get Legacy of Goku on GBA. A DAMN GBA GAME! Was so ticked, but I did it anyway, and the game wasnt even that good anyway. Commercials...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Amnestometh said:
Omg dude, EB is worse by far for selling games. I had to "Trade" 8 of my games to get Legacy of Goku on GBA. A DAMN GBA GAME! Was so ticked, but I did it anyway, and the game wasnt even that good anyway. Commercials...
Try reading some reviews on games sites next time. :p

Glad we don't have a Lamestop over here. Just about any video game store I've been to was at least pretty decent, but of course every shop gives crappy credit when trading in games, though I think $10 is especially lousy. =/

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here it's EB all the way, I even get free **** becasue I know the workers so well :D.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I go to Futureshop for basically anything to do with games, or just technology in general. Low prices, things appear in store on there actual release dates, pre-orders are always on time, most of the people actually know what they're talking about, great customer support etc. It's a great place, it blows EB or any other similar stores out of the water.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea, our gamestops are ok, but there trade in prices do suck. I went up there and just for ****s and giggles, I took a few games in to see how much I would get. I put in FF7 for ps1, Legacy of Legia, two huge classics (which doesn't make them worth more I know :p), Sonic Heros, Soul Caliber 2 and Megaman x Command Mission. Waited for 15 mins for my trade in total. Got up there and he tells me "Ok, your total is 9.00 cash or 12.00(and some odd cents) store credit ", I laughed, picked up my games and left....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NightTerror said:
Yea, our gamestops are ok, but there trade in prices do suck. I went up there and just for ****s and giggles, I took a few games in to see how much I would get. I put in FF7 for ps1, Legacy of Legia, two huge classics (which doesn't make them worth more I know :p), Sonic Heros, Soul Caliber 2 and Megaman x Command Mission. Waited for 15 mins for my trade in total. Got up there and he tells me "Ok, your total is 9.00 cash or 12.00(and some odd cents) store credit ", I laughed, picked up my games and left....
Wow, what a joke. I remember doing a 3 for 1 trade in at EB once. It was okay though, I traded 3 games I had beat and didnt want to play again *cough*Fable*cough* and got my brother SC:CT. Hes 10 and didnt like it so he gave me SC and I bought him one he wanted for $25. Kids these days have no taste.

Other than that, I havent really dealt with any game store much, I usually just go to Walmart when I buy games, which isnt too often. My main gripe with EB is that they never have the demo stations on.

Best answers
you guys are unlucky cause in the uk there is this placed called gamestation and they give you great prices and great trade ins cause when i was gettin tenkaichi i traded 4 games and got it easilly.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess the moral of the story here is, buy and trade your games somewhere else? No one is holding a gun to your head telling you to buy your games at a Gamestop.

I don't blame them for buying used games for $10 and selling them for $50, it's called making a profit. And as long as people are willing to depart with their old games for that little, then they're going to continue doing it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, gamespot is the only place that sells video games around me so I dont really have a choice unless I want to travel for an hour through a concrete jungle.

Making a profit is fine, but selling a used game for the same price as a brand new one is stupid. At least give me 20 bucks if you're going to sell it for 50 -_-.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really don't think they sell used games for full-price. All stores sell Gamecube, PS2 and X-Box games for $49.99--who would pay the same price for something that says "USED"? They sell used games for cheaper prices for a purpose.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When Tenkaichi came out, I called around the stores--they all said they wouldn't be getting it till tomorrow. But one Gamestop guy said "It doesn't come out till tomorrow." I told him, "I'm looking at the official website--and it says today." "Nope! Tomorrow."

I felt like telling him off: "Just because YOU don't get your shipment in until tomorrow doesn't mean the game hasn't been released, jackass!" .. but I didn't say it. Needless to say I didn't buy the game from his store.
Did you preorder a copy of it anywhere, Alea? I wouldn't overreact about someone saying "It's doesn't come out till tomorrow", it sounds like an honest mistake. Besides, the preordered copies were issued the day the game came out to those who preordered, you were only able to pick up the game a day after because you most likely didn't preorder a copy of it. But, I can sympathize for you all over this Gamespot frustration, I have two Gamespots around where I live and a majority of the employees at both treat phone customers like ****, like real ****--and it's so frustrating to go down there just to get an answer on a release date for certain games, because they're often pushed back and/or forward.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
I really don't think they sell used games for full-price. All stores sell Gamecube, PS2 and X-Box games for $49.99--who would pay the same price for something that says "USED"? They sell used games for cheaper prices for a purpose.
They were selling the game I sold them for 50 dollars. Thats why I kept mentioning those numbers.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
They were selling the game I sold them for 50 dollars. Thats why I kept mentioning those numbers.
You mean they were selling new copies of the game you sold to -them-, for 50$? That does make sense. But there's no way they're going to turn around and sell your used copy of it for 50$.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I went into gamestop the other day. I saw the game Star Wars Episode 3 for xbox used... They were selling it for $50.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
You mean they were selling new copies of the game you sold to -them-, for 50$? That does make sense. But there's no way they're going to turn around and sell your used copy of it for 50$.
Yeah, stop trying to change what I said. I sold them a game which they said was worth 10 bucks, and they sold it for 50. Bottom line. I didnt get confuzzled while walking down the street.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
I went into gamestop the other day. I saw the game Star Wars Episode 3 for xbox used... They were selling it for $50.

The prices of Gamestop and EBgames are set by the corporation--I seriously don't think you saw what you think you saw in the store.

Zeonix said:
Yeah, stop trying to change what I said. I sold them a game which they said was worth 10 bucks, and they sold it for 50. Bottom line. I didnt get confuzzled while walking down the street.
I wasn't trying to change what you said. What you said sounded like they were selling your used copy back to others for 50$, which isn't what they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom