Why do people bother with PC games ?

Best answers
I mean Seriously, consoles suck.
No, they don't.

The PC is always superior.
No, it isn't. For approximately 1/3 of every generation, the PC is less powerful than the console for pure dollar value. Even after that period is over, the console has staying power while the PC needs an upgrade or it can no longer play the newest games. Increasing the cost so much that you can add both the other consoles and still save money over PC gaming.

You get mods,
Mods aren't useful to everyone. And they aren't that big a deal. I'd rather move on to a new game than stay stuck on an old one for ages.

the better control schemes,
In a couple genres maybe, not overall. And the second keyboards become more widely used on console, you'll have lost the point completely.

the customizability,
Most of your customising comes from developers having to deal with multiple hardware setups. It isn't needed on console.

the vastly superior hardware,
Superior for 2/3rds of a generation, but not the whole thing. And it costs more.

the internet play.
Nah, you've been owned by the networks being set up by console manufacturers. The 360 is already superior to most PC online. In time it will conquer the rest. Sony and Nintendo may take a little bit longer seeing as they waited a bit longer before setting up, but they'll get there too.

The consoles are, if anything, trying desperately to be MORE like the PC.
No, actually they are trying to be more than that. Nintendo aside, anyway. They are trying to make a single purchase cover your stereo, DVD player, tivo, etc. PC has never been a substitute for any of those in the general market.

The fact is, you only run into problems if you are either dirt poor and undedicated to gaming, or incompetent--neither of which I want in my world of online gaming.
Says you. I say you're full of it. In fact, I go so far as to say that you are undedicated to gaming, for attempting to put one platform over all others exclusively. A true gamer would have a PC AND consoles. I guess you aren't as dedicated as some here though.

As for TV being 'easier' on your eyes--well there's a lot of technological jargon behind it, but let's just put it to you simply: You know those HDTVs, how the pictures move all nice and silky smooth? That's called framerate--your tv can't do over 30 frames per second, but new TVs can do a few more. The computer gaming world has been able to do more than double even the best TV's maximum, depending on the game, for more than 6 years now.
You said a point against PC gaming, then failed to prove it wrong. The reason PC monitors tend to be harder on the eyes is proximity to the screen. It has nothing to do with framerate.

The last and most obvious bottom line is that PC gaming is pretty much the most technologically advanced form of interactive entertainment in human history.
That's opinion. Entertainment is a lot more than just gaming. A LOT more.

If I let any one of you console only gamers, sit down and look at some of the next gen titles we had even last year--Doom 3, the better parts of HL2, the bloody war scenes in Call of Duty, even the everlasting glory of the real time strategy games (something consoles will just never have)--I can personally guarantee you'd understand why.
Self owned hard core. No real time strategy on console?
And yes, those games were great. But then so is Zelda. So is Final Fantasy. So is Metal Gear. So are a hundred other titles that don't tend to make it to PC.

At the end of the day, a computer that can play current-gen video games halfway well at decent settings can also do any other technological hobby in existence.
So?

I'm a writer, musician, web developer, and graphic artist (when it suits me)--I can do it all from my computer, because I got a game-capable PC (five years ago, anyway).
Good for you. Five years ago? Too bad you can't play the newest games eh?

I fully maintain the belief that beyond a shadow of a doubt if you have spoken to anyone who has done both game formats to their fullest potential (i.e. gamed on a GOOD computer and knows what they're doing, but has also played all the consoles), they will have similar feelings.
Well you're wrong. Because I have gamed on a good computer, and the consoles. And neither is truly superior to the other. Both have their strong points, both have their weaknesses. Only a fool would ignore 1/2+ of new games simply because of their fanboy attitude.

The consoles will seem clunky, stupid, dumbed down for the masses, and completely uncooperative and unfair when it comes to pricing, even.
Uh, no. Revolution aside, the consoles own PC's for the next year or two. Sorry.

Don't believe me? I paid for Warcraft 3 once, and have been playing it for at least three years...STRAIGHT.
So you got stuck on a game for three years. Good for you. I've played dozens of games in the last 3 years, and probably spent just as much or less money on it as you.

I like computer gaming because it pushes the boundaries of the current generation of gaming, as it has the previous things. All you people who love your Mario Sunshines, your Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Times, and your Splinter Cells and MGS's, you all owe that crap STRICTLY to the PC.
No, we owe it to companies like Nintendo, Capcom, Square-Enix, etc. Companies that have always supported consoles over PC's.

Because that is where the people who came up with the ideas behind modern gaming bred their ideas into conventions.
Easily debateable. PC gaming didn't go anywhere until console and arcade gaming did. They all effectively started at the same time.

50 dollar games that play for six hours that you don't ever want to play again.
Happens on PC as often as console. If you don't shop intelligently that is.

Computer games don't have lame-ass unlockable content like the main character in a jock strap or a baby diaper to try and trick you into believing the four hour game you bought was worth fifty dollars.
LOL! Console games don't have lame-ass mods made by fans that trick you into thinking the developer deserves $50 for content they didn't even create!

Not to mention the graphics tend to suck compared to the computer,
Again, Only for a piece of every generation.

and a lot of games offer little to no customizability.
Already covered this. *Yawn*

At the end of the day, if you compare the two, consoles almost border on a rip-off.
Only to a fanboy.

All that aside any person with a job and half-decent saving habits can afford a pretty decent computer. You won't be playing Oblivion or anything like that but a person who knows their stuff can get the right parts for a beast machine off of website directories and such for fairly short money.
Says the person with no kids I'm guessing. Or who hasn't noticed how many people are below the poverty line. Console is cheaper. You fail.

At the end of the day, my friend, PC games are better in every way you can imagine,
Opinion, not fact.

and a powerful PC is ALWAYS worth the investment.
No, it isn't.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just dont see how people can keep investing money in gaming on a pc. It seems like you have to keep upgrading your pc constantly just to play the latest games at it's best, and they only seem to have FPS and MMO's. And i heard games like WOW can suck your life away. Also the pc screen tend to be alot harder on your eyes then TV's. Plus you have to worry about alot of other things when playing pc games. You come across install errors, video memory issues, ect, when on a console, you can just slide in a game and play with no problem. It just seems like a waste of money.
/puts pile of text into minimalizer,

/result = question: Why do you buy a computer instead of a console? isn't a console much cheaper? and has more games?

1) Why?

Answer: because they LIKE computer games, and like computers.

2) Isn't it cheaper?

Answer: Yes, it is.

3)Has more games?

Answer: No, it hasn't.

The computer has a great variety of games, very good games too, computers such as RPG's, RTS, FPS, TBS. adventure games, the only games the computer lack are, fighting games, such as Tekken, (imo).

4) But TV's are better for your eyes then computer screens!

Answer to that: I dunno,

I usually get a headache quicker from TV then from a computer screen, maybe i'm an exception of the rule though, but that's how it is.

And a computer has more functions then a console, a console is only for games, ONLY for games, (and perhaps watching a DVD), besides, I hate games for consoles, except the fighting games.

Best answers
Am I the only one that sees the irony in him calling PC-people fanboys?

Anyway, 5 years ago I bought a state of the art PC for about 900€.. Now, to this day, I'm still using this computer, haven't had a single upgrade.. It can still run the latest games such as HL2, CoD2, Oblivion, etc... I can still use the internet, use the tools and apps I need for my school and job (graphical and digital design), I can still use it to store personal files, ...
Now, in that 5 year time-span, Sony has released the original playstation (+-400€) and the PS2 (500€).. So if you wanted to keep playing PS games, you had to upgrade from a playstation to a PS2.. In total, that's +-900€..
I'm pretty sure that I'll still have this PC when the PS3 is released, so add to that another 600€.. That brings the grand total of the Sony console-line to 1500€ and PC still at 900€..
Also, console-games are way more expensive than PC-games.. (Console: 60-75€ and PC: 40-50€)

So ye, in the end, if you want to keep gaming on a console, you'll end up spending more money on a console than on a PC..

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Babyboy, you came in here asking for everyone’s opinions, then you just go and shoot everyone down for what they think.

If you look at the direction the consoles are going, you can see that they are bridging the gap between the differences of the consoles and the PC's. Not to mention that the next-gen consoles (so far) are going to cost as much as a new computer.

What defines a PC? What defines a console? Both are computers, both act like computers, and both function like computers. So technically, both are not too different from each other.

If you think about it, you say that upgrading a PC is expensive, well so is buying a next-gen console. Both the console's and PC's fall under the same dilemma, if you don't upgrade you will not be able to play newer games. To be more specific, if you don't upgrade your PC, you will still be able to play newer games, just that you will experience a lot of problems, and lack of smoothness, while if you don't upgrade your console, you will be stuck with whatever games were released for it.

I'm not saying PC's are better than consoles are vice versa, even though in my whole argument I seem to lean towards PC's. The thing is that there are too many things which can determine which is better, and in the end, you'll still wonder which is better.

Another thing to think about, while PC's were starting to become popular (PC's, not the room sized computers), they were no powerful than a Super Nintendo at the time. The point being is that PC's have had a lot more time for development than consoles, so in a few years maybe even decades, I have no doubt in my mind that consoles will be as powerful and have the same multi-purpose as PC's.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kimfu said:
I'm pretty sure that I'll still have this PC when the PS3 is released, so add to that another 600€.. That brings the grand total of the Sony console-line to 1500€ and PC still at 900€..
Not exactly. Why are you adding the cost of a system your PC can't compare to? You won't be able to run UT2k7/U3/Farcry 2/etc, at least not at a level that would allow the addition of the price of the PS3. (Note: I'm not saying that the PS3 will have those games.)

I personally love my computer. It's very powerful for what I paid for it (~$700) and, while sometimes I do wish I had more powerful components (note: sometimes), it's still more than able to play anything out and more than likely, anything to come for a few more years.

I like the PC world more than the console world because, well, it's more open. Consoles are more social devices for a small group of people to play. A computer is more a wide scale instrument for lots of purposes.

Best answers
MC said:
Babyboy, you came in here asking for everyone’s opinions, then you just go and shoot everyone down for what they think.
Personally, i think that he is trying to just spawn some debate, either in an attempt to get more viewers, more posters, or just to keep the thread open.

my opinion: I like both worlds. Computers give you lots to do in just one machine. Consoles make it possible to play games, without the need to upgrade if you want to play a state of the art game.

Best answers
So I've had this PC for about seven years now. At the time cost me about £900, maybe? With the minimal upgrading I've had to do, I'd call that about £1100. So for that sum, I've got my DVD player, my games console, my stereo, my internet access, Skype which is rapidly replacing my phone service, and not to mention the wide range of features I get with Office.

So I use my PC for everything.

My console? Gathering dust in the corner, because the games suck, and there's no mod community to improve on the **** ones. You mean I have to buy a new one every 3 years? **** that ****, I'ma sticking with my PC and my emulators.

Oh, and:

They are trying to make a single purchase cover your stereo, DVD player, tivo, etc.
Sounds an awful ****ing lot like my PC, buddy.

Console gaming and PC gaming are identical as far as I'm concerned, only my PC actually does other stuff other than take up space when I'm not gaming. Yeah, I could use my PS2 as a DVD player, but it lost that capability a few months back, because it's old as ****, and even when it DID play DVDs, it made a hell of a lot of noise. And look at that, I can't upgrade it. Now I have to wait for the PS3 or buy a new one.

Or, look, I can use my seven year old PC which plays games at the same quality my dead PS2 used to play them at.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright. You're new here, it seems--I don't think much anyone else would borderline flame the board's most tempermental moderator in the middle of his own section, otherwise. But other than the Fanboy stuff--which is only borderline anyway--you were pretty civil, so I'm going to just respond.

The first thing I should probably say, is that I DO own a PS2 and an Xbox, though I never play the Xbox (because I can't stomach a 15 frame per second game online).

The second thing is akin to Kimfu's point--I bought this computer in 2001. I can still play pretty much everything. I don't upgrade because I can no longer play--it doesn't usually get to that point, ever, to be honest with you. It's more like I upgrade to improve the quality of the gaming experience, as the stronger games don't always run as well, but right up to Oblivion I managed to get my stuff working every time without any real problems.

I hope you realize that you made a lot of illogical statements when you quoted all those parts of my post. As you're about to learn, a debate with Pride is a hard thing to win.
On Power vs. Consoles said:
No, it isn't. For approximately 1/3 of every generation, the PC is less powerful than the console for pure dollar value. Even after that period is over, the console has staying power while the PC needs an upgrade or it can no longer play the newest games. Increasing the cost so much that you can add both the other consoles and still save money over PC gaming.
I don't know where you get your figures. A powerful computer that can run anything put out for the next four or five years on max, is only about 900 dollars. Yeah you have your console for 10 years, but you seem to be under the impression that you have to shell out 3,000 bucks every two months to play the latest games. And as I said before, that only happens to uneducated consumers. As for power versus the consoles, I'm not even going to argue this; the consoles, mechanically, are a FRACTION of modern computers. When your Xbox has an SLI motherboard and a dual core processor with two monstrous 512 megabyte video cards in it, I'll change my stance on this. But that will never happen, because they are built invariably on current technology--it will NEVER be cost effective for any console manufacturer to put fully state of the art equipment into their machines. Granted, they don't necessarily need it, but still. They will always have low end versions of the parts in current circulation--and even if they WERE state of the art, a new video card or technology comes out every other month in the world of the PC, so it wouldn't last long at all.
On Mods said:
Mods aren't useful to everyone. And they aren't that big a deal. I'd rather move on to a new game than stay stuck on an old one for ages.
I don't get this either. You have a very biased opinion of this. It's not being 'stuck' on an old game--it's somebody making a new, usually very creative one, out of your old game, and making it available to you for free. Free innovative games with consistent updates and great concepts = good, I can't see how you can find any other way to spin this. Welcome to the ESF forums, by the way.
On PC having better control ability said:
In a couple genres maybe, not overall. And the second keyboards become more widely used on console, you'll have lost the point completely.
The PC is the king of custom control schemes, so this is another moot point. You can completely customize the keys of any game, the only one I ever played where you couldn't was this drab anime game called 'Oni' which, ironically, would have been a lot more at home on the PS1. You get one controller, maybe a steering wheel, and a keyboard and mouse addon for consoles (that you can barely use because your sitting on a couch and not at a desk). Well the PC has flightsticks, laser mice, game mice (mine has five buttons--all assignable on a per game basis), and best of all there are controllers available for the PC (again, all with customizable keys for all games) that have a million shapes and sizes, including that of the PS2 and Xbox controllers. Yeah you've got your little stylus thing on the DS, but we have that too; the new Nintendo controller is only just catching up to the capability of the mouse, which is--what? 25-30 years old? Even once it DOES catch up, it's sensitivity will probably be completely unadjustable and I bet all kinds of things will screw with its signal. We have wireless laser mice, too, have for years. Nice of the consoles to try to play catchup, after so long.
On Customization said:
Most of your customising comes from developers having to deal with multiple hardware setups. It isn't needed on console.
I was referring to customization on MY end. I have over 40 user-made add-ons for World of Warcraft. In Halo you get to pick one of 8 colors, on one of three character models. There is an entire other website dedicated to ESF itself, and additional character models, maps, sound effects, graphical sprites. In the world of the PC, is someone out there sees a way a game can be made better, he can ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Not just sit and hope when he pays fifty bucks for the inevitable sequel, that the developers made it better. In a lot of situations, it is WE THE GAMERS of the PC world who have defined new kinds of gameplay and such in our games. World of Warcraft is the perfect example--do you know how many of the UI components in that game's current patch, were originally add-ons, which made the developers go, "Hey, that is a pretty good idea, that should be a part of the game in the first place!" We have a voice, and a choice in how we play--console gamers don't.
On dedication to gaming and Pride's alleged fanboyism said:
Says you. I say you're full of it. In fact, I go so far as to say that you are undedicated to gaming, for attempting to put one platform over all others exclusively. A true gamer would have a PC AND consoles. I guess you aren't as dedicated as some here though.
As I said, I own both sides of the coin, and have found the PC to be uniliaterally better. Calling me undedicated when your main gripe is that having a PC is a costly bother is a little asinine, don't you think? I am willing to spend more money and more effort on my gaming habit then you; any avid PC gamer is, bottom line. You want it to be cheap and easy, you want instant gratification, and you don't care if you have to pay 50 bucks every two weeks to get mediocre games, so long as you don't have to exert any effort in making them perform better or be more enjoyable to yourself. That's fine and all, but calling me undedicated to gaming is probably the furthest thing from the truth you could say.
On console online vs. PC online said:
Nah, you've been owned by the networks being set up by console manufacturers. The 360 is already superior to most PC online. In time it will conquer the rest. Sony and Nintendo may take a little bit longer seeing as they waited a bit longer before setting up, but they'll get there too.
I don't know what internet you've been on, man. I can play World of Warcraft with 10,000 people and no lag with the graphics as high as they go (on a five year old computer). I can play Unreal Tournament on hundreds of servers which appear instantly in the list the millisecond I click online. I can TYPE. I can download other apps and files off the internet directly to my computer. In Unreal Tournament when I connect to a place that is using maps that I don't have, it downloads them--in like 15 seconds. I don't need to use a clunky controller to navigate the internet, I have my keyboard and mouse, which allows me to do other unique things--like post back to you right now. Can you even view the reply box on the Xbox live internet? Can you even GO ON the Internet at all with it (Seriously, I don't know, but if you can...I doubt it)? If you're talking about internet play well that's just a load of crap. I haven't actually had any netlag for the last 4 years, since I got my cable modem. City of Heroes with thousands of people (HUNDREDS ONSCREEN AT ONCE), World of Warcraft with thousands of people in the same server, Planetside with thousands of people at once (ONSCREEN AND SHOOTING/DRIVING VEHICLES)...never had a lag problem. I set up my PS2's online and I got unplayable stupid lag on every different setup I used. I never even bothered with the Xbox because only Halo is worth playing multiplayer on it and as a PC person I can't stomach playing with ONLY 32 people maximum. The same way I can't stomach dying because a guy got behind me and unloaded his gun into my back but the control scheme doesn't allow me to turn around any faster than the speed of a cripple in a wheelchair with a missing wheel.There's no argument here--the PC is and always will be better at the internet play than consoles. If you think playing laggy games with a handful of people on a big goofy control scheme while they scream in your earpiece is 'better' than PC online gaming, you obviously haven't had much experience with the PC.
On how consoles aren't trying to be like PCs said:
No, actually they are trying to be more than that. Nintendo aside, anyway. They are trying to make a single purchase cover your stereo, DVD player, tivo, etc. PC has never been a substitute for any of those in the general market.
The PC can do all of those things.
On console-only games said:
Self owned hard core. No real time strategy on console? And yes, those games were great. But then so is Zelda. So is Final Fantasy. So is Metal Gear. So are a hundred other titles that don't tend to make it to PC.
I can emulate what doesn't get officially released. Play it with whatever controller I want, whatever controls I want, and be able to save anywhere...plus have better graphics in some cases.
At the end of the day, a computer that can play current-gen video games halfway well at decent settings can also do any other technological hobby in existence. So?
I don't think I even have to answer this. You can't make a movie with your Xbox. You can't record your band with it, either. Hell, you can't even do your homework on it. Call me when you guys get Wordpad and MS Paint and I'll rethink my point.
On cumulative eyesight damage said:
You said a point against PC gaming, then failed to prove it wrong. The reason PC monitors tend to be harder on the eyes is proximity to the screen. It has nothing to do with framerate.
Look at a 60hz 800x600 monitor for ten minutes. Your eyes will water and sting and your head will start to pound if you look at it long enough. Now look at a 120hz flatpanel CRT with 1280x1024 resolution. I stare at one all day at work and I don't wear glasses yet.
On Pride's computer's age said:
Actually, I can. They cost less, look better, play better, and have a way longer enjoyability than any console game I've ever played (except for sports games, really). Not including mods or multiplayer, of course.
Compare and contrast said:
Well you're wrong. Because I have gamed on a good computer, and the consoles. And neither is truly superior to the other. Both have their strong points, both have their weaknesses. Only a fool would ignore 1/2+ of new games simply because of their fanboy attitude.
1.) The fact you are unwilling to learn how to maintain a PC or are unwilling to pay the price for one is not a weakness. The PC as a machine has no weakness versus the consoles. A PC game can be any size they want, it can use all the latest technologies, it can easily implement fully functional multiplayer, in some cases it spawns a whole line of brilliant and interesting modifications, it can support vastly more players, it doesn't require a proprietary network to access its internet support, it supports any type of input device ever created, and has vastly superior capability in all technological points of interest. Graphics, sound, video--it crushes any console. EASILY.

I wouldn't call me a fool, either. Like I said, I own consoles, always have. I own a PC too. If anyone is ignoring the virtues of the other side of the fence, it's you. To me the consoles have their niche, that much is undeniable. Third person action games are the console's, right now, as are sports games. But what most people fail to see, as I see, is that these things exist only because the PC does not feel the need for them in its own libraries. If the PC devs decided to do something along any of those console niche games' lines, it would be better--of that I have absolutely no doubt (except, of course, with the wrestling game--but if I bought a controller, even that doubt would evaporate).
Senseless belief of ownage with no basis said:
Uh, no. Revolution aside, the consoles own PC's for the next year or two. Sorry.
You know, ya waltz into my section and start shooting off these snippy one-line answers. 'Consoles own PCs.' Where are your facts? Where's your point, even? 'Consoles own PCs.' How? Do you have an explanation worth sharing or are you just so desperately attached to this notion that you can't help but repeat it despite the mounting evidence to the contrary?
On Warcraft 3's longevity... said:
So you got stuck on a game for three years. Good for you. I've played dozens of games in the last 3 years, and probably spent just as much or less money on it as you.
No. I got my money's worth, out of a game I paid for. I too played dozens upon dozens of OTHER games during that time frame, of course--but my point still stands. There is a reason why EB and Gamestop don't have PC game 'trade in' sections. We're still playing these old games because they are great--and also, are constantly being upgraded. I also have something like 200 maps for War3, and it comes with the very map editor they used to make the single player campaigns. You've got...what? 16, in Halo 2? Heh.

How can you argue that enjoying a game for longer rathern than shorter amounts of time is a negative?
Gaming roots said:
No, we owe it to companies like Nintendo, Capcom, Square-Enix, etc. Companies that have always supported consoles over PC's. Easily debateable. PC gaming didn't go anywhere until console and arcade gaming did. They all effectively started at the same time.
Actually, you owe any three dimensional polygon-based video games to one Mr. John Carmack, who was one of the first people to commercialize the use of 3d accelerator APIs to make game environments. Even if they hadn't been the ones to push it, the idea was floating around for a long time--Wolfenstein 3D and Doom made people see the great potential of a fully 3D environment. The consoles did not start to use polygons until many years after that point. They only started using actual graphics processors in the last generation of machines, I believe. Behind the technology of the day, always. Yes, they started at the same time, but the PC is an independent market that has pushed the technology of the industry in all kinds of new directions. The consoles only just got environment mapping. Environment mapping was made on Quake III. The time frame is the same, but you never see the consoles inventing a new technology. It ALL came from, or is partially derived from, the PC.
Irony said:
LOL! Console games don't have lame-ass mods made by fans that trick you into thinking the developer deserves $50 for content they didn't even create!
Well that's asinine. Most of those mods are created with tools provided by the developers with the game. They usually ARE made of the developers' content--ESF is a rare exception to that rule. Oh, did I welcome you to the ESF forum yet...?
Affordability said:
Says the person with no kids I'm guessing. Or who hasn't noticed how many people are below the poverty line. Console is cheaper. You fail.
Actually, YOU fail. If you have kids or are below the poverty line you shouldn't be pissed you can't afford a PC, and you damn sure shouldn't be going out and buying a playstation, either.
On PCs being worth the investment said:
No, it isn't.
I run my life through my PC. I write books on my PC. I do my work on my PC. I pay bills with my PC. I play video games with my PC. I write, compose, and record music with my PC. I edit videos with my PC. I store my memories on here by way of saving hundreds of photos taken at family and friend-related events. I keep a journal on my PC. I use my PC to keep in contact with old friends and make new ones. I used my PC to buy my car, after using it to heavily research things. I use my PC to consolidate my school loans. I use my PC to check my minutes on my cell phone. I use my PC to learn how to cook things I don't know how to cook. I use my PC to order food when friends are over sometimes. I use my PC to keep up with the world around me. I used it to research medical problems when I had no health insurance. I used it to learn how to play some songs on guitar I could never figure out. I even used it to join a little-known mod's forum some years back, which puts us right where we are right now.

At the end of the day, my computer has...well, really, it's changed my life, in ways. Now how in the hell can you tell me it's not a worthwhile investment?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Babyboy said:
No, they don't.

Superior for 2/3rds of a generation, but not the whole thing. And it costs more.

And yes, those games were great. But then so is Zelda. So is Final Fantasy. So is Metal Gear. So are a hundred other titles that don't tend to make it to PC.

So?

No, we owe it to companies like Nintendo, Capcom, Square-Enix, etc. Companies that have always supported consoles over PC's.

Easily debateable. PC gaming didn't go anywhere until console and arcade gaming did. They all effectively started at the same time.

Already covered this. *Yawn*

Only to a fanboy.

Opinion, not fact.

No, it isn't.
that was so funny i read the whole thing.

i love warcraft 3, but tis because my computer sucks balls and is roughly 5 years old and is the only thing i think is fun and can play with high settings

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, this is entertaining. I love seeing people's eyes forcibly opened to the truth. Yes, welcome to the ESF forums.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lets see. I can go the route of consoles and be forced to buy a compleletely new console with a several hundred dollar price tag, or I could just upgrade specificially what my PC needs, saving me money over time :O

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I own almost every popular console in existence, and I have a pretty good computer by today's standards. I've played countless games for both--and I can say without a doubt, that most games are better on the PC.

Why? Numerous reasons, that most people have already stated.

1) Better input--mouse and keyboard are much better than a controller for certain types of games--first person games, especially. (Some games really need a controller, though--like Metal Gear Solid and Fighting Games).

2) Better sound. It's a lot easier to hook up a 5.1 Surround System to a PC than it is to a console, in my experience.

3) Better visuals. Consoles become outdated technologically, very quickly. The PC market moves -fast-. Improvements come along all the time. It's true that developers are able to squeeze consoles to the last drop, but if you look at games released for both PC and X-Box/PS2/etc, they can be made to look better on a PC in almost every case.

4) Better displays. Standard-Def TVs, which most games are designed for, suck ass. 640x480? No thank you. I'd much rather be playing in my 23" widescreen monitor's 1920x1200. In order to get a -TV- tht could display 1920x1080, which still isn't as good, I'd have to shell out about $3-4,000.

5) Better Online Capability. Internet multiplayer is one of the things I love about PC games. It's true that some newer systems offer online capability, but they are nowhere near as sophistocated as a PC's. DOA Ultimate on X-Box Live ran like hot, sick ass. Halo 2 ran decently, but again--who wants to play a FPS with a slow, clunky controller? Not me. Plus, the interfaces for X-box Live/XB360 are equally constraining.

6) Updatability. What if a game ships with a debilitating bug, such as TES III: Morrowind? Microsoft and Bethesda never did anything, and Morrowind is near-unplayable at points. Filled with bugs, crashes if you open the world map in certain places, corrupt save files.. All these were fixed on the PC with a simple patch, something they couldn't do for the x-box because it wasn't compatible with x-box live. These aren't problems with consoles in general, just the way they've been made up until now.

7) Multitasking. It's much easier to play a game, and chat on AIM (or anything else) on a PC than it is to try and do it on a console.

8) The ability to FIX the damned thing. If a console breaks, such as the PS2 giving disc read errors, what do you do--if it's out of warranty? Send the whole thing to Sony, and have them charge you almost as much as the thing cost in the first place? No thank you. I've had consoles break down on me numerous times, despite treating them very well, and I've only had one component in a PC crap out on me, which I was able to instantly and cheaply replace.

9) Accessories. You're not gouged on idiotic accessories in order to play your games. What's this? To play Crystal Chronicles or Four Swords Adventures multiplayer, I need gameboy advances, and link-up cords? No THANK YOU. What's that? I need multiple memory cards because the friggin' console has no hard drive and the memory cards only hold eight megabytes? No thank you!

PCs in general are better suited to gaming. However, like I said, some games must be played on a TV--fighting games, MGS-type games, katamari-type games. Anything requiring a controller. You CAN play PC games with controllers, but.. well, that's never really caught on.

Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Like i said before, consoles are great for single player games, such as FF7, chrono trigger, etc. But I personally wouldnt BUY a console for them. Id just borrow my friends psx, rent ff7, beat it and return everything. Other than halo 1 and halo 2 for xbox, and budokai 3 for psx2 i cant think of a good reason to own my playstation2 and xbox.

The argument that xbox360 has internet play just like a PC is retarded. First off my internet cost 49.99 a month, and thats it. 360 costs that PLUS the cost of live. Not to mention all the accessories required to talk on live.

I bought an xbox to play halo with my buddies, only because they refuse to play on the PC. Well guess what i went and bought? A keyboard and mouse adapter. After that i plugged my xbox to my computer monitor and raped. They got to use there consoles, and i got to keep the feel of my PC.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I bet, as an old school Unreal Tournament junkie, if I could play PC style in any online console shooter, I probably wouldn't even die. There is literally that much of a difference in precision. That difference alone makes me prefer the PC, honestly.

Though...all that other stuff I mentioned definitely plays a big factor, as well.

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Babyboy said:
No, they don't.

They don't. But they ARE inferior.

On the highest settings. Can't play newer games on the highest settings.

Don't doubt it. If you do, I'll proceed to whip out my old P4 1.6GHz, GeForce 2 PC.

That is the most ignorant statement I have seen in this topic. There is a mod out there for an old game suited to EVERYONE, trust me. Plus, most mods are either small improvements, in which case it shouldn't stick you to a game, or total conversions, in which case it will be a new game in itself.

Let's look at Oblivion, for instance.

The 360 misses out on nicely-textured distant lands, visibility under water, SVERAL new locales, quests, etc. Items, armor, weapons, effects...

Soon enough, Oblivion will be COMPLETELY different on the two platforms. What does 360 get? Horse armor? Please.

Thing is, keyboard won't become widespread. Everyone who plays console games play it because of a controller.

I doubt he meant graphics settings, but rather mods, server-sized mods, items, skins, models...

Not if you know your stuff and build a PC. Plus, no one in their right mind uses a PC solely for games.

You have got to be kidding. I'm not even going to respond here.

My computer is my stereo and DVD player. I don't even USE TiVo, so, meh.

Don't give me that dedicated gamer bullcrap. I'll use the term "gamer" when I start getting paid regularly to play games. Anyone who spends money on buying ALL the consoles, PC, etc. and plays games for several dozen hours a week needs to cut down at least a little.

That is why we have TV-Out.

Agreed.

Name me five RTS games that worked on consoles.

In case you didn't know, several Metal Gear and Final Fantasy games have been released on PC. Namely, MGS1, MGS2, FF7, FF8, FF11, etc.

So?

So... it does all that and more? Good response, man.

See my first comment.

Soooooooo contradictory. As a proud owner of a PS2 and a PC, I get the best of both worlds. It's funny how you try to bring up Consoles as superior all the while calling him a fanboy.

1. Revolution isn't out yet.
2. All "current-gen" consoles have been bested. As with the 360.

No.

Again, Capcom is porting all of their major series (RE, DMC, Onimusha) to PC. DMC3 comes out in 2 days.

As with Square.

Your second and third statements contradict each other.

Okay.

Ignorance.

Or, as is the case with the 360, all of it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the graphics on console games get better.... and i dont have to upgrade it

oooooo burn

does it sting?

i'm poor.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The graphics on consoles "get better" because the developers learn the tricks of programming with the "SDK of the moment" as opposed to developers having their pick of the litter on PCs..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I play older games on my PC because it can't do better, so I play console games when I want something that has better graphics.

=/ My graphics card tends to overheat sometimes, I had to use a tool to downclock it. It's in a laptop so I can't just go out an replace it.

So yeah, console gaming ftw for me. o/

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kimfu said:
I just find it retarded to buy a PC just to game, and nothing else.. I play games myself, and I do enjoy them, but a PC should be used for more than just gaming..
You say that as if it's a fact. But it's not. That all depends on the person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom