Why do people bother with PC games ?

Best answers
I just dont see how people can keep investing money in gaming on a pc. It seems like you have to keep upgrading your pc constantly just to play the latest games at it's best, and they only seem to have FPS and MMO's. And i heard games like WOW can suck your life away. Also the pc screen tend to be alot harder on your eyes then TV's. Plus you have to worry about alot of other things when playing pc games. You come across install errors, video memory issues, ect, when on a console, you can just slide in a game and play with no problem. It just seems like a waste of money.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Meh, personally, I'm a PC fan. Also, theres more internet-usage based on PC's. Sure, you can get an add on for PS2 and stuff, but its a lot easier IMO for PC.

Also, I've never came across an install error, video memory issues, nor anything else.

Plus, think of a ps2. after a few years, when you pop it in, it takes ages to load. when you use a computer, pop it in and its ready ;)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A console doesn't have a keyboard or a mouse is why I love the PC. Plus, modding and hacking games is alot fun then on a console, where you're limited to sources. Plus, games for the PC are cheaper these days.

Oh yeah, a controller is easier to break then a keyboard. Spending 15 more dollars more when you can get a keyboard for like 5 bucks, and 10 bucks for those keyboards that bend and baggy.

Console accesories cost alot more. For example the 360 hard drive is $100 bucks, but it's only 10GBS. I can get the same exact storage size for my computer for only like, $20 or maybe $35. Also, you have to pay to get your console connected to the internet, and to buy the extra content on there like the Halo 2 Multiplayer Pack. It's free on live but you had to buy it on the day it came out.

Also, to get those errors, you'd seriously have to be crapping up your computer with enhanced programs.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
my computer sucks. so my xbox gets me by...

i personaly think online multiplayer on computers is alot better. i've never played online on a console but i figured it would be the same as a camputer... but with a controler.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PC FTW!!!! Reason is you have more freedom and you can learn alot of stuff of PC's much faster, coding, making games, you can't do that on consoles, right?Like you can't play strategy games on a console, it would take a day to build a base, etc. Consoles IMO are only good for games like Budokai and Teken, etc.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I enjoy PC gaming, I just don't go crazy on the upgrades. I don't get every new video card that comes out, I only upgrade when my rig really starts to get old, and it's usually driven by a sweet new game that I've been waiting for for a long time. Plus, for the most part, PC games are 100% free, if you know what your doing that is.

Overall though, I still prefer console gaming. It's less money and less hassle, and seeing how that with every passing day, I seem to play games less and less often, dropping thousands of dollars on a brand new PC loses more and more justification everytime I think about it.

Best answers
Someone who bought a PC to -only- use for gaming, is a complete retard (sorry to the people that actually did this)

I bought a PC to do school/work stuff (photoshop, illustrator, 3D Studio Max, premiere, final cut pro, audition, indesign, quark, ...), have access to the internet, have possibilities to saveguard pesonal documents... Gaming is the last thing I'm doing here, I game maybe 1h per week (3h max).. The rest is filled with stuff for work.. And that's what a PC is about, not nust gaming.

And @ babyboy.. PC's screens (the LCD/TFT kind) are a lot easier on the eyes and brain than TV screens.. TV-screens is all about flickering and skipping frames.. (unless you own an overporiced plasma or LCD-TV)

I'd only get a console to play beat 'm ups.. Games like mortal kombat are born on consoles and are meant to be played on console with a controler.. And since I'm a Mortal Kombat, and the proud owner of a SNES + MK1-2, I'm quite the happy camper :)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@ Kimfu - Dude, PCs aren't "-only-" meant to do work. They also aid in mankind's incredible leaps in technology. One of these incredible leaps are displayed through video games, which we love and enjoy. And whether you choose to believe so or not, some people do live for gaming, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I personally believe that people are entitled to enjoy what they enjoy, as long as it's within the law.

I'm a gamer. I practically live, eat, breathe, and dream about gaming. This is what I enjoy, and I'm sure that I'll continue to enjoy it for a long while. So don't say that people are retards for enjoying PC games, because that's not the case. By the way, I'm not flaming, but simply defending my personal opinion against yours. And we're all friends here, so I hope you don't take what I've said personally.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also, the selection of games or pc's is very large, while for the consoles it's quite limited. And as Bapplebo stated, pc games also have mods.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Freeware games.

Patches.

Mods.

Better graphics.

(Usually) better control (keyboard+mouse=win)

Best answers
Spunky said:
@ Kimfu - Dude, PCs aren't "-only-" meant to do work. They also aid in mankind's incredible leaps in technology. One of these incredible leaps are displayed through video games, which we love and enjoy. And whether you choose to believe so or not, some people do live for gaming, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I personally believe that people are entitled to enjoy what they enjoy, as long as it's within the law.

I'm a gamer. I practically live, eat, breathe, and dream about gaming. This is what I enjoy, and I'm sure that I'll continue to enjoy it for a long while. So don't say that people are retards for enjoying PC games, because that's not the case. By the way, I'm not flaming, but simply defending my personal opinion against yours. And we're all friends here, so I hope you don't take what I've said personally.
Read my post again and notice that I never said that people who like video-games are retarded.. I just find it retarded to buy a PC just to game, and nothing else.. I play games myself, and I do enjoy them, but a PC should be used for more than just gaming..

Look at it this way: It's like buying a car just to listen to the radio.. No driving/cruising/travelling, just sit in the car and listen to the radio.. If you wanted to listen to the radio, you should've bought a hi-fi installation.. (with gaming: if you want to game, buy a console)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I myself have not bothered with console games since the days of N64 or the Original Playstation. The only games I have bought for any console since then would of only been gba games.

I myself Play a lot of css & 1.6, HL mods & Generals/Zero Hour + a few zero hour mods. Console titles really don't appeal to me much these days. To me, a console was child's play in comparision to any pc game Iv'e played. Plus, I could never really imagine playying an RTS game with a controller (or atleast I will prefer a mouse/keyboard for RTS games should a console based RTS ever surface, heck I still remember a mouse that was released for the Original Playstation back in the day).

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why do people invest in PC gaming? I personally feel PC gaming is generally superior then that of a console. With the PC, you know you're going to have access to a huge library of mods which can dramatically expand the lifetime of a game by years (case and point: Half-Life). Then you have the Keyboard and Mouse configuration which can play many genres significantly better then any console controller can (ever try playing an RTS with a console controller? Yeah, I'm looking at you Starcraft 64). You also have to take into account patches / free updates for games - There a huge game-breaking bug in the game, no problem, patch that sucka up. Not to mention you have what seems like a limitless volume of freeware games. Then add in the fact that PCs have superior graphics and Monitor resolutions are better then that of a standard T.V and you have yourself a winner.

Yes, PC's do cost much more than any console on the market, but honestly, if you look at the Xbox 360, you could potentially be paying 650 dollars for the console / accessories / games. Console gaming isn't cheap anymore either. As for the installing errors or memory issues, that's a non issue. It doesn't happen unless there are some serious problems with your computer or the game is buggy beyond belief, in which case a patch would be issued to fix the problem.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well my computer runs warcraft 3 great, and i can mod the hell out of it with the map editor. so foo yah!

and it runs wow... ok when i'm in dungeons.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know. Just what are doing on a mod forum, if you think pc gaming makes no sense ? Obviously you have a retail of half life installed, otherwise you would not be here. Well ?

Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
consoles are typically for younger people, and people who arent computer savvy. (it takes some computer skills to build and price a pc etc) Not generalizing, but out of my friends they all love consoles and its because they dont know the first thing about PC's. Personally i own an xbox and a ps2 also, but i got those in 2005. Xbox because of the modding, and because budokai 3 and resident evil were only out for ps2.

Point being, PC's are a good idea if u know what your doing and want more than just a gaming machine because PC's can do just about everything. Gaming, video editing, word processing, internet, etc etc etc.

Another small point against consoles for me is the fact that i cant choose what goes into my system. With a PC i can decide how fast or slow i want it. With consoles you either pay or your screwed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My answe is simple. Consoles suck. The PC is always superior. Add in mods, the better control schemes, the customizability, the vastly superior hardware, the internet play.

Open your eyes a little man. The consoles are, if anything, trying desperately to be MORE like the PC.

You only run into problems if you are either dirt poor and undedicated to gaming, or incompetent--neither of which I want in my world of online gaming.

As for TV being 'easier' on your eyes--well there's a lot of technological jargon behind it, but let's just put it to you simply: You know those HDTVs, how the pictures move all nice and silky smooth? That's called framerate--your tv can't do over 30 frames per second, but new TVs can do a few more. The computer gaming world has been able to do more than double even the best TV's maximum, depending on the game, for more than 6 years now.

The last and most obvious bottom line is that PC gaming is pretty much the most technologically advanced form of interactive entertainment in human history. If I let you sit down and look at some of the next gen titles we had even last year--Doom 3, the better parts of HL2, the bloody war scenes in Call of Duty, even the everlasting glory of the real time strategy games (something consoles will just never have)--I can personally guarantee you'd understand why. At the end of the day, a computer that can play current-gen video games halfway well at decent settings can also do any other technological hobby in existence. I'm a writer, musician, web developer, and graphic artist (when it suits me)--I can do it all from my computer, because I got a game-capable PC (five years ago, anyway).

I fully maintain the belief that beyond a shadow of a doubt if you have spoken to anyone who has done both game formats to their fullest potential (i.e. gamed on a GOOD computer and knows what they're doing, but has also played all the consoles), they will have similar feelings. The consoles will seem clunky, stupid, dumbed down for the masses, and completely uncooperative and unfair when it comes to pricing, even. Don't believe me? I paid for Warcraft 3 once, and have been playing it for at least three years...STRAIGHT.

I like computer gaming because it pushes the boundaries of the current generation of gaming, as it has the previous things. All you people who love your Mario Sunshines, your Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Times, and your Splinter Cells and MGS's, you all owe that crap STRICTLY to the PC. Because that is where the people who came up with the ideas behind modern gaming bred their ideas into conventions.

50 dollar games that play for six hours that you don't ever want to play again. Computer games don't have lame-ass unlockable content like the main character in a jock strap or a baby diaper to try and trick you into believing the four hour game you bought was worth fifty dollars. Not to mention the graphics tend to suck compared to the computer, and a lot of games offer little to no customizability. At the end of the day, if you compare the two, consoles almost border on a rip-off.

All that aside any person with a job and half-decent saving habits can afford a pretty decent computer. You won't be playing Oblivion or anything like that but a person who knows their stuff can get the right parts for a beast machine off of website directories and such for fairly short money.

At the end of the day, my friend, PC games are better in every way you can imagine, and a powerful PC is ALWAYS worth the investment.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I upgraded my computer to play oblivion not too long ago, and only spent 300 dollars. It is not like you have to buy a whole rig that is pre-built. Shopping for parts is the most cost effective thing. Consoles exist for those poor suckers who don't know how to upgrade their PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom