Who exactly is Gman? (from HL1 and HL2)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In the credits he's acredited as 'Gman' so it's his official name until the real one.

I think it would be thoroughly lame to have him be Gordon, partially because it seems a large part of the community thinks this, so it wouldn't be a surprise, more of a let down. Maybe Valve intended them to look similar to start off these conspiricy theories so the truth would be more shocking when it revealed itself. You see him in HL, HL2, Opposing Force and Blue Shift, and what he does to Shephard in OpFor is basically what he did to Gordon in HL2, just seal him away in time until he is needed again. He gave Gordon the choice in HL1 but not Shephard as he was already working for him.

If you notice, he always appears when Gordon/Shephard/Calhoun are in danger, like when the room is slowly filling with acid, when he shuts the tunnel door so Gordon fights the alien slaves, adjusting his tie in the glass of a window while you get mugged by zombies. Heck, even sending in the Black Op's and having Shephard disarm a nuke, it was all just an evaluation, he has the people fight for their lives to prove themselves. Gordon, for instance, was a regular scientist, but out of all the scientists in Black Mesa, he was the one that survived, invaded Xen, killed the Gonarch and evenually destroyed Nihilanth. Shephard fought the Race-X Worm that was half in, half out of the portal at the end of OpFor, utilizing everything on hand to kill it. Calhoun was an exception, he was one of the few that escaped Black Mesa (and Gman) and he returns in HL2.

SO my guess is that the Gman is a contractor for an elite, godlike, universal, over-government that controls from the shadows and has people like the Gman to do the work for them. He finds candidates and then uses them as pawns or tools to do the work. Because they're the pinnacle of the hierachy, they have the most advanced technology so can freeze time, make Gman invincible, teleport...pretty much anything. The Gman is one of the 'faces' of this secret government that link Gordon with the higher power. Once one of the pawns has completed a mission, they're sealed away in time and darkness, never aging, until their services are required again.

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So to put it simple, Gman is Gordon from the future?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well it could be possible...but for all we know...its his son or maybe even his father o_O

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SSJGoku83 said:
My guess is that Gman did the same stuff where Gordon does now.
Only that Gman is NOW controlled by the Aliens.
Means: Gman once was good but is now bad.
i still go with my quess.

Gman (maybe) was an fighter for freedom like Gordon but got captured by the Aliens and does now the work for them on planet earth.
But in his head is still something working right, and he does try to help Gordon even without knowing it, cause it all happens for him like he is in trance.
But it turns out bad.(sort of Majin Vegeta=Gman where got controlled by Babidi=Aliens, but still gots his own mind only less left)

(**** ma writingz)

nZ

Best answers
Gman is governament secret , a bit like the eqivalent to Revolver Ocalot from MGS , and the fact that everything happens to Gordon is not coincidence, (actually its almost like MGS2 everything is set-up) and Gordon is just a pawn and Gman is making sure everything runs smooth.
Well thats what i think anyway , it seems a bit weird tht Gordon always gets in the middle of things, or meyb its just Valve trying to make the game more fun ... :S

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if gman makes sure everything runs smooth....how come that if i see him standing infront of a window, then get my self killed? pretteh smooth eh?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Out of all, I agree with Ravendust the most. There's no way Gman could be, as some people pointed out, connected to any Earth government (there's no way he could be human, that's a fact), especially since he's still working after all the Earth governments are destroyed.

And I doubt it'd be as simple as the Gordon-from-the-future thing. Mainly because a lot of people argue the name "Gman" as a point, when it could have no relevance whatsoever. Or the fact that he always knows where you are. Well, he always knows where Shepherd is too, and Barney, and he also -appears on unplugged TV sets-, it's not like he's not capable of these things without having done it before.

Also to say that Gman doesn't know what's going on... they go a very long way to make him look really sinister and nefarious when you talk to him. He really doesn't look like a poor mind-washed guy with an alien in his ear or something.

If you want to get all technical and crap about how they look with this widow's peak and junk, notice upon further inspection that Gordon has attached earlobes, while Gman's hang. This is a genetic trait that stays with you, much like the widow's peak, the ability to roll your tongue, etc., so unless he had plastic surgery to unhook his earlobes or something, it's impossible they are the same.

That is, assuming that the creators were anal enough to check for such things as matching genetics.

nZ

Best answers
Sicron said:
if gman makes sure everything runs smooth....how come that if i see him standing infront of a window, then get my self killed? pretteh smooth eh?
Well think about it like this, survival is up 2 you , he tests you to see if you can handle situations because you are a pawn and he wants to make sure you can, if you fail u die, u need a new pawn, if you succeed he keeps using you, just like Ocalot in MGS.
I think gman is from some alien government , hell he mite even be from combine race, but in some way i think he is a good guy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't beat HL2 so I don't have any theories yet...but here's a question. Why the **** does he talk like a bad answering machine?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
I haven't beat HL2 so I don't have any theories yet...but here's a question. Why the **** does he talk like a bad answering machine?
Heh, just to add to his weird persona, I guess. He sounds like a snake, and that gives his character an evil, spooky feel.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
At the intro to my game, he sounds like the Verizon lady, not a snake. Except for all of the skipping, which of course Verizon Lady doesn't usually do.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
EVIL_GOKU said:
OH SWEET JEESUS THAT SCARED THE **** OUTTA ME.

As for the g-man he is alien. Havent you played the mod "Point of View". He was inside zen without a suit. (i know, it is a fan mod).
But I believe that they almost based some of the concepts on HL2's aliens and what g-man did.
Like the fact that the aliens communcated more through chemicals. And the fact that thier memory gets stored in thier collers (HL1) and can be transfered to the other aliens (they seem to have removed it in HL2). Like the fact that the Ninlath and the other floatie head things were controoling the alien's thoughs. I could go more indepth, but I believe that I have gone far enough. (more would be clear if you played the mod I mentioned)

G-man stands for Government Man. And oviousally Barney and the Scientists know more than Gordon knows. Cause they said "I expected more warning".
Still the g-man isnt human. Try shooting him in ANY of the scenes you see him. He is bullet proof and refuses to die.

Best answers
heh, you guys are saving valve tons of money....with all these ideas I don't think they need a story wrighter for hl3 :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
broli said:
heh, you guys are saving valve tons of money....with all these ideas I don't think they need a story wrighter for hl3 :p
ROFLLMFAO :D god that was hilarious :D:D:D

but so far only three topics seemed to speak to me:

Gordan freeman

and that Gman stands for Government man.

who knows? lets hope it seriously isnt his dad or something.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
I think the whole thing about GMan being Gordon is stupid. If if really plays out to be like that, then that is the most half assed storyline ever.

Best answers
i think hes a *** stalker whos in love with u o_O pretty freaky right? its just sooo half life'ish

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Mortenl said:
i think hes a *** stalker whos in love with u o_O pretty freaky right? its just sooo half life'ish
Believe it or not I'm going with this theory.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well Gman is a mad scientist if i rememebr correct, gordon free man = scientist, i think, that gordon over time went mad, created a time machine, went back in time to help himself correct his mistakes he forgot to do. hit the fact, how the story ended in HL 2

just my opinion, so dont hold me too it! lol

but it kinda makes sense if Gman does turn out to be Gordon Freeman

Best answers
All the speculation that the GMan is Gordon in the future may be right. When you

SPOILER

come up the elevator and hear Breen talking to the slug-like Combine "benefactor", he hints that after he is teleported out of the tower to safety, he will need another body to withstand the hard environment or something to that effect. The GMan could be an alien intelligence planted in Gordon's body.

Oh yeah, GMan sez

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom