Whites to be Minority in US by 2050

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
WASHINGTON (AFP) - Immigration will drive the population of the United States sharply upward between now and 2050, and will push whites into a minority, projections by the Pew Research Center showed Monday.

"If current trends continue, the population of the United States will rise to 438 million in 2050, from 296 million in 2005," an increase of nearly 50 percent, the study by the Washington-based think-tank said.

More than 80 percent of the increase will be due to immigrants arriving in the country and their US-born children, who will make up nearly one in five Americans by 2050 compared with one in eight in 2005, it said.

Whites, who currently make up around two-thirds of the US population, will become a minority (47 percent) by 2050, the report said.

The Hispanic population, currently the largest minority group, will triple in size and double in percentage terms from 14 percent in 2005 to 29 percent in 2050, the report said.

The Asian population will roughly double in percentage terms, from five percent to nine percent, while the black population will remain static at around 13 percent.

The projections are based on trends over the past 50 years, during which legal and illegal immigration have played an increasing role in US population growth, the report said.

From 1960 to 2005, new immigrants and their US-born descendants accounted for 51 percent of population increase, and for 58 percent from 1980 to 2005, the report said.

But, the report warned, "possible future changes in immigration policy" could impact the projections.

Illegal immigration has become a top issue in the race for the US presidency, especially among Republican candidates, most of whom favor of a crackdown.
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2008021...ationethnic;_ylt=ApmLVVlnM0ofrTj1jc7onZOs0NUE

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hate the word "minority"

'Nuff said IMO

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Doesn't matter, we're all ultimately people regardless of whatever color our skin is. Welcome the immigrants I say

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
methinks a "so?" is in order. I've no problem with beccoming the most ethincally diverse country in the world.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Number 1. So?

Number 2. I hate to say this, but I really doubt our country is going to continue letting the immigrants flow in as they do now especially if we are soon to become the minority.

Number 3. So?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah.. finally!
Us blacks will be on top!

Guess who will be picking my cotton in a few years!

YOU

õ.õ
Yeah, uh, as shown in other places in the word, before majorities will become minorities, majorities will fight minorities, which is usually done through politics.

Think about deportation, taking no one in etc.

It's not a nice thing, but that's how it goes, people don't want to lose control!

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I call bull****. I don't know of any time machines, or time travelers. They have no proof this will happen, they only have the power of guessing.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I call bull****. I don't know of any time machines, or time travelers. They have no proof this will happen, they only have the power of guessing.
And statistics!
But yeah, you're right, since when have numbers been right :3

and you calling bull****, is the power of guessing too I suppose

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is good, according to the college guys in Borat, the minorities in America have all the power, I believe making whites the minority is a secret plan by the government to give power back to white people!

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll like the fact affirmative action will sway in my direction. :D

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll like the fact affirmative action will sway in my direction. :D
Without years of slavery or poverty on your side, good luck with that.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Without years of slavery or poverty on your side, good luck with that.
If he can get a tray of rice crispy squares I think he should do it! But only if he gives me some.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They took our jerbs!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Congratulations, you just made the "I never attended mathematics class" list. Unless you know all the facts, you are merely guessing. It's not likely that someone runs you over with a car the next time you go out, but it still might happen. You guess the most probable scenario - so do the people working with statistics, only they actually know what they're doing.

If they have calculated correctly, this will likely be a reality in 2050 (or at least within a certain margin of error).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom