Which Video Card is better?

Best answers
nVidia GeForce G210, 1024MB, GDDR3, 64bit, DVI, HDMI, PCI-E

or

ATI Radeon HD 3600 http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk.../Pages/ati-radeon-hd-3600-specifications.aspx
Most likely the G210 out of the two.

Though TBH, they are both crap on a stick as far as gaming is concerned and are better suited for Browsing/E-mail/General use machines more then anything.

If you want to get something that'll play games and your budget was limited, say look into at least something like a Radeon 6790 or a GTX 550 that should allow you to play games @ med settings on at 22' resolution at the most (1680x1050).

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most likely the G210 out of the two.

Though TBH, they are both crap on a stick as far as gaming is concerned and are better suited for Browsing/E-mail/General use machines more then anything.

If you want to get something that'll play games and your budget was limited, say look into at least something like a Radeon 6790 or a GTX 550 that should allow you to play games @ med settings on at 22' resolution at the most (1680x1050).
Seconded, either of the cards in OPs post are hitting minimum spec status on not so spectacular games. AMD and nVidia both have excellent sub $100 cards these days.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if you're buying a new gfx card. get the cheapest that handles DX11.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
i don't think it's important, i think it's just nice to have it, rather than don't have it.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
if you aint got a big budget then rather buy a used HD 5770 or something.

Best answers
if you're buying a new gfx card. get the cheapest that handles DX11.
Whats the point in buying the cheapest low end DX11 cards?

Defeats the entire purpose of DX11's enhancements altogether...

Why is DX11 so important, anyway?
i don't think it's important, i think it's just nice to have it, rather than don't have it.
Its not like you have a choice when buying new cards now anyway - DX11 is pretty much supported on all newer cards.

With DX11, Tesselation and DirectCopute are implemented and can prove very useful in not only just games but apps that make use of DirectCompute APIs. Passing it off as something that isn't important is just stupid IMO. I don't know anyone who stupid enough here in my country (Australia) to buy a GTX 285 for $400-$500~ (Believe me, some shops here are trying to flog them off to hopeless fools for prices like that lol, no DX11 for them).

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DX11 ensures you buy a "newst" generation card. Newer generation cards tend to be better. Especially in the price to power ratio.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, DX11 is likely to become mainstream within the next year (for pc games). the features/benefits go beyond tesselation, render speeds are vastly better on DX11.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The main reason DX11 isn't standard already is because of consoles. The moment the next set of consoles come out, no one will ask twice about having DX11 or whatever version is available then in games.

Best answers
ATI Radeon HD 3600 is better if you have amd cpu (+ this card use 128bit memory interface). Buy at least HD 3800 or 4600.
None of them is better, there both POS cards that fit into the same low end segment. The CPU won't matter at all because you are already GPU limited by a crap card for 1 and AMD's 'vision' platform is just how they markert their platform - its not like its inherently better than a nv gpu on the same platform with an AMD cpu.

I wouldn't recommend them with a ten foot poll, especially when there are much better cards available (Hell even the low end cards of today would offer slightly better performance, not to mention OC potential).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Out of curiosity, what do you think is the best value graphics' card you can get? I thought about building an economy gaming machine when I get my paycheck.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Best answers
Out of curiosity, what do you think is the best value graphics' card you can get? I thought about building an economy gaming machine when I get my paycheck.
You'd probably want something along the lines of at least a Radeon 6850, 6870 or a 1GB 6950 if you can afford it.

Its not just the GPU you want to worry about though. What do you plan on pairing it with CPU wise?

Of course a good GPU is important, but do give your CPU choice some consideration too.

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
far as i know 460 gtx is best buy it's not too expensive and performance is better than 5770 and even in some cases better than 6850 and 6870.

Dirt 2 (DX 11) - 460 GTX vs 6850 & 6870:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...6850-vs-gtx-460-1gb-overclocking-study-7.html

Metro 2033 (DX 11) - GTX 460 vs 6850 & 6870
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...850-vs-gtx-460-1gb-overclocking-study-10.html

In first fight the GTX 460 wins and in second fight the 6870 wins.
Though in bouth cases the fps difference is small only 6 fps higher or sometimes just 4 fps.
So buying more expensive 6850 or 6870 is not worth it.

Also the GTX has better support in games for example if you like sims 3 you will able to turn on AA while with ati if you turn AA on you get tree deformations and glitches (they still havent released fix for that)

Another game is Batman Arkham Asylum if you put AA on the game it gets serius fps drop and game starts to slow down like your in slow mo.

Best answers
far as i know 460 gtx is best buy it's not too expensive and performance is better than 5770 and even in some cases better than 6850 and 6870.

Dirt 2 (DX 11) - 460 GTX vs 6850 & 6870:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...6850-vs-gtx-460-1gb-overclocking-study-7.html

Metro 2033 (DX 11) - GTX 460 vs 6850 & 6870
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...850-vs-gtx-460-1gb-overclocking-study-10.html

In first fight the GTX 460 wins and in second fight the 6870 wins.
Though in bouth cases the fps difference is small only 6 fps higher or sometimes just 4 fps.
So buying more expensive 6850 or 6870 is not worth it.

Also the GTX has better support in games for example if you like sims 3 you will able to turn on AA while with ati if you turn AA on you get tree deformations and glitches (they still havent released fix for that)

Another game is Batman Arkham Asylum if you put AA on the game it gets serius fps drop and game starts to slow down like your in slow mo.
Most GTX 460s you will find left today end up being either the 768mb model or the 1GB SE version - A crappier, cut down version of the original GTX 460, which hence if you find someone claiming 'This a 1GB GTX 460', double check to see if its the SE variant or not.

With this in mind: Buyer beware. The 460 has been replaced by the 560 anyway and for the sake of $70~ it makes more sense to get the newer generation product instead. The 1GB 6950 just manages to pull ahead of a 560, no surprises there though since it is identical the 2GB version bar the ram.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its hard to go wrong with a video card these days, the top teir cards get bottlenecked by six and eight core processors, be they virtual or actual. I agree with Quagmire on the 460, its not the current generation anymore. Nvidia should be 5xx, AMD should be 6XXX, and you want to aim for a minimum of 1GB RAM. Also, the 128 bit memory bus is ass, try to not get one.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I have a Radeon HD 5770 and an AMD Athlon II x4 3.1GHz CPU... 4GB of 1600MHz Corsair Dominator XMS3 RAM...I can max any game except metro 2033 and ones with PhysX turned on, and have 30+ FPS on pretty much anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom