Which graphic card are you using

Simply some greatass
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Mannnn some people got some old rigs! too much esf! lol. I got the MSI 570, amazing card vs the 580.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No wonder you don't prefer graphics. Trust me. once you get a beast, you will want Graphics just as much as the rest. I played my share of Gba and 8-10 year old games when I had a weak PC, graphics never matter then. But now, being able to see all the visual fidelity is very VERY pleasing.

EVGA Superclocked GTX570 here. ^^
Yet i was able to play assassins creed 2 and mass effect 2 on nearly the highest settings with no FPS drops. Imagine that. And i still say GFX dont matter. Games are getting suckier and less finished overall compared to lets say the 90s and early 2000s. They are including less and less details while focusing soulely on the GFX and that kinda makes me want to vomit. Thats why i like mods, cause they work on those very gameplay details that the big houses miss.

Sure it all looks superb, but i never had an urge to replay a newer game while i constantly have urges to replay older games. The new games are fun, but only 1 time though. After that its only multiplayer that saves their asses. Where in the older games single player was appealing enough to warrant a replay.

So ill say it again and again GFX dont matter. The game itself does.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But Graphics are part OF the game. Graphics alone do not make a game, but they sure pull it up from good to awesome!

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Lol some of the cards mentioned are years, not months. I had my 4890 till it quit which is sad since it was only a year old.
The same argument applies. A lot of "serious gamers" either have wealthy parents or steady jobs so they can afford new GPU's,CPU's,MoBo's and whatever they need, while college students like me are kind of screwed when it comes to that(not that we should spend our time playing anyway)

Z power:
[video=youtube;6aU5NbZXOzY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aU5NbZXOzY[/video]

Graphics and art direction is not the same. No amounts of graphical advancements can make the game awesome. While the art direction on the other hand can make or break the game(depending on the gameplay nature of the game). Today's gaming community though focuses more on the aesthetics and being able to see the tessellated rocks, god rays, water physics and focus less on the "fun" aspect of the game... the actual gameplay. I know quite a few people who refuse to play terraria or minecraft because the art direction and thus graphical aspect of the game is more "old school". Now everyone is entitled to their own opinion but this kind of behavior worries me because developers have already started producing games with fancy graphics and recycled gameplay(CoD series is the most prominent one) and there is always a possibility that the industry will get overrun by Crysis 2 clones with little to no innovation.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wholeheartedly agree with you there. On my list, Graphics come after Gameplay and Story. Also when I mentioned graphics, I didn't just mean the technical prettiness that comes with it, art style is included as well. Art Styles are used as visual indicators, which is what Graphics are all about. Trust me, I am the last person who would take Crysis over Half-Life 1, ever.

But I still hold by what I said. Graphics are important to a game. I loved Morrowind because it was, and probably still is, the most atmospheric game I have ever played. Stepping off the boat, seeing the beautiful water, coming in view of the Silt Strider for the first time, all the swamp fog, and discovering a gazillion other things with distinct clarity, it was just plain beautiful. It wouldn't have been half the game it was had it used Minecraft's "graphics".

Our industry is suffering, but not much. There was a time when Graphics really sold games, during the initial phase of the consoles. But now the cap has been reached, and pushing for more aesthetics is not technically feasible. Now gameplay is king once more and a game made for looks will not sell as much. I use Minecraft as an example again. You yourself said your friends don't like it because its old school but they are in the minority, the game still sold million(s) and it isn't even commercially released yet. Terraria is now hugely popular as well.

I would vote gameplay on any poll you give me. I played Lugaru more than the entire GTAIV game and expansions combined, but just because I love gameplay does not mean I should have to forgo graphics that please me. They can stay together, hand in hand. If they don't, blame the developer, not the mechanics. Each time I boot up ACBH and take a view over the city, I feel a distinct happiness. Its more than just eye candy.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Yea, now i see what you meant. Well my opinion about the current state of the industry still stands. The big game developers are more and more pushing their games towards the casual dare i say easily impressed demographic while most of us "veteran" gamers rely on mods and indie games such as terraria and minecraft(which i haven't got the chance to play yet and i probably won't ever since as i mentioned i'm a college student :p ) to get our dose of innovative gameplay. Over the years the meaning of fun in games changed. The devs only push the graphics now because the publishers are afraid of innovation because they believe they'll lose their fans and thus lose money. It's disappointing to see that most of today's games have no support for mods, instead people get paid DLC for parts of the game which should have been included in the first place, outrageous pre-order incentives to get more money from gullible people without regard if the final product will be any good, and overall lowered difficulty of today's games.

Anyway we've went quite a bit offtopic, so i don't really wish to derail the thread, just wanted to voice my opinion

Simply some greatass
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The biggest problem with p.c gaming is the games aren't optimized. They just push the boundaries on strong hardware and top of the line computers. Look at ps3 and xbox titles from the start. When they first came out they looked like junk in comparison to what they look like now. If games were actually coded good on p.c you wouldn't need the amazing hardware that some of us have. Personally I like eye candy, but you gotta hand it to companies like blizzard, designing sc2 with options for weaker computers that still looked alright.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And i still say GFX dont matter. Games are getting suckier and less finished overall compared to lets say the 90s and early 2000s.
In Grega's day, games came on several floppy disks! You would be prompted to put the next one in to continue the game and if you lost them, tough! I like my oldies, but it's nice if a game's pretty.

Looking back my X1950 served me for 4 years, I'm a cheapskate! Before that it was a Radeon 9800. I miss my Amiga.

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
In Grega's day, games came on several floppy disks! You would be prompted to put the next one in to continue the game and if you lost them, tough! I like my oldies, but it's nice if a game's pretty.

Looking back my X1950 served me for 4 years, I'm a cheapskate! Before that it was a Radeon 9800. I miss my Amiga.
That reminds me, we used to have an Amiga as well years ago. At least an Amiga 2000 being the first computer I ever used in my lifetime. We also used to have a Commodore 64 my father bought a few years before I was born. Yep, good old days.

In terms of video cards, I have used video cards that lasted for years and some not as long. As some have said, my Geforce 9800GT (bought in January 2009) also was having overheating issues (thought it was due to it being PNY-made). The reason why I upgraded to a Geforce 460 GTX SE from EVGA bought back in early May 2011.

And yes, proper art direction is important or else it can kill the game (look at the unreleased Diablo 3 that possesses not bad graphics, but wrong art direction). If I want to play Diablo 3, I expect it to be at least like the other two where they were gothic-like. :p

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Depends which computer:
HD6950(Still need to flash it to 6970, too lazy ~_~)
HD6870(Dad's computer, sometimes use it)
HD4650 Silence(Passive, mom's computer also sometimes use it)
GTX285M(My gaming notebook)
HD5470(My work notebook)

It's funny my history mainly contains NVIDIA cards(Including some SLi setups), but somehow shifting to ATi. Damn you ATi!

History: Voodoo 2, Geforce 2 MX 64MB(I hated this card, no shaders? Damn you!), Geforce 4 Ti 4800SE 128MB(Absolutely loved this one ;D, mister powerhouse), Geforce 5600XT 256MB(Crappy, crap), Geforce 6800LE 128MB(Went broke), Geforce 6800GT 256MB(Mister hot head), Geforce 7900GT 256MB(Mister artifacts ~_~), 8800GTS 320MB(So pretty, but doesnt like high resolutions), 8800GTS 512MB(Later on SLi), HD4850 512MB(Later on Crossfire), GTX285 1GB(Hate microstuttering, so back to single GPU), 8800GT 512MB(Loaned), GTX460 1GB(Didnt fit my demands) and now HD6950 2GB(oh I hated ATi drivers BTW).

I used the ti 4800SE and 6800GT the longest. Ti 4800SE best card I ever owned. But thanks to damn Battlefield 2 I had to give up on my favorite pet. Still have the card here somewhere in a box.(And still have the orginal box, Creative card baby!)

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I have been a console kid, ever since I can remember, started with the PS1, continued to PS2, and ended with Xbox360, and now I have my first gaming PC. Blehh..I used to have an AMD Sempron LE 3100, now that was what I used to deem a "fast" processor. It's an "okay" CPU for being a single core, but going from an overly slow PC to a fully built gaming PC is pretty radical. The graphics matter to me now, I love the realism with games coming out, I love the precision with a mouse (omgggg) but gfx won't always matter to me.

Video games are like cake, if the cake is good, then the looks won't REALLY matter. But if the cake is all fancy and crap, yet is dry and tasteless (like some of the newer games today) you'll most likely want your money back. You can tell a good cake (game) by the effort put into it. Look at TES:V, Oh Ehm Gee. They're even releasing a creation kit with the game so you can make your own mods easier than usual, and look at Battlefield 3....the graphics look amazing, the gameplay is fluid and everything flows together. TES:V, and Battlefield 3 are going to be the first games I've bought since the release of MW2, that game is...eh, not for everyone, but can be fun sometimes, especially when you're good enough to go MLG. I choose not to, mainly because games aren't meant to be where you exert 1000% of your energy, they're supposed to be ******* fun! (excuse my language lol)

I love ESF, always will, the new graphics are just butter coating it, along with the new gameplay, and thanks to the devs for making such an amazing MOD for the community.

Simply some greatass
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Personally I don't like ati. I bought the 4890 at launch when it was the best. It had a beast o.c ability and it just packed it in a year after I bought it. I did not o.c it or anything like that, they just don't seem as quality as nvidia. I don't like the ati drivers as much as nvidia because shading just differs. Like ati makes your games look too dark I find. Nvidia just makes things bright and nice. It really is preference though, I may have had 1 bad card. It certainly ruins ati's chances with me, that's forsure.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
nVidia GeForce 9400 GT / 1 GB my too :)

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also have a 256 mb 8600m GT in my laptop. God that thing is slow as hell :p The laptop has become the portable TF2 and PLanetside machine :p

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My Laptop?

>.>

<.<

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2300

Trust me, its nowhere near as fancy as it sounds.

<.>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom