Where is Vista Now?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know there are articles all over the place, but I wanted to pull your opinions. I'm looking to upgrade to Vista when I get a new system in about a month or two. It's been a little over a year since Vista was launched and SP1 is out now which fixed a bazillion (holy crap, Firefox sees that as a word lulz) bugs and made it an overall more usable OS. Now, from people who have used it or have extensive knowledge about it, is this a good time to upgrade? I'm mainly going to use it for gaming on DirectX 10, but a lot of the flash that comes with Vista has also caught my attention. I got to use it for about a week on a buddy's system and liked what I saw.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, all XP based Operating Systems are being removed from the market after June 3rd, 2008.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gryph said:
Actually, all XP based Operating Systems are being removed from the market after June 3rd, 2008.
That has nothing to do with what I asked... I still have a copy of XP so I could care less about that...

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've been using Vista for the past 2 weeks on my new PC. I also have Vista on my laptop that I got for school. In both cases I didn't have a choice considering HP wouldn't offer me XP for either of the models I wanted, and I didn't want to go through the process of reformatting them and installing XP.

What new features does Vista have? I... Don't know. After two weeks, the only new feature that I've found is the ability to search within a folder, which is nice, I guess. You're going to have to relearn how to do some things that you know how to do on XP, but it's not that bad. If you're going to be doing a lot of gaming, just know that as of right now, games generally work better on XP. For example, on some game boxes, you'll see system requirements listed as needing 1 Gig of ram recommended for XP, 2 for Vista (ie: assassins creed. Pretty sure this is also the case for Mass Effect).

My laptop used to crash a lot. I'm going to go ahead and blame this crashing on Vista since after SP1, the amount of crashes went down drastically, though it still occasionally crashes.

The last thing I can think of is that I think some hardware / software isn't 100 percent vista compatible, yet. I personally haven't run into any of that, my desktop works just fine as does my printer and all of that.

But uh, good time to upgrade? I personally don't think it matters either way. I was under the impression Microsoft was releasing another version of Windows in like three years, though.

The best compliment I can pay to Vista is that I don't think I mind not having XP installed, I'm indifferent to both of them. There were some occasional moments where Vista pissed me off, but nothing major. I just want to end this post with saying **** the 5000 confirmations required when you're installing anything on Vista.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I installed Vista back after sp1 was released, and i must say that i didn't like it one bit.
I remember Vista being better when i used it a few months ago, but now that i come back to it from my periods of using Xp again, well... It seemed mediocre to me ( If i would put more time to Vista, i'm sure that i would like it at least in some degree ).

So yeah, i wouldn't suggest you to upgrage to Vista unless you are planning to go for Dual boot with Xp ( or UNIX-based OS ) since the factor that makes you upgrade is gaming after all.
Also, i literally never had any issues with Vista, some compatibility issues occurred , but that's about it.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No one is going to release DX 10 only games anytime soon, unless they don't want anyone buying them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Obviously not.

You should still keep in mind that some of us want to play the games on the highest possible quality if we have the rig to do so though.
People can still do as good with Dx 9 engine as with Dx 10, as far as i have seen this far (Note : this will surely change in the future when more developers turn on Dx 10, unless turning to OpenGL before that).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm. I think I'll stick with XP for another year maybe. DirectX 10 will inevitably be made to work with XP anyway.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm sticking with XP until there's little reason more to do so. Double system requirements for games because the OS devours RAM with the background processes? No thanks. I work with 3D and have heavy enough rendering times without Vista eating it some more. I really like the specs on my PC to mean something, and for an upgrade, not having to feed a quarter of it's effectiveness to Vista's processes and bump me down a 512 or so is prefferable.

If I have to switch to Vista someday, I'm definitely using that Vista Light program or whatever to get rid of the more useless bull**** they make irremoveable. I love the idea of being able to use more RAM, making use of my dual core in games, and utilizing DirectX 10, but I can wait until it benefits me most to do so.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The hardware right now is a bit behind on what Vista demands. In a few years, it'll have caught up, and everything will be fine.

In the meantime, I'll stick with XP as long as I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom