when is stealing right, or good?

Best answers
LOL. You'd be surprised at how many people actually buy the LOW PRICED EDITION of Texts.
I for one, buy only those books which are larger than 500 pages.... I mean texts. Storybooks are worth buying. But some textbooks arent.

And how many of the people on the net would be left if they put everyone who visited a crack site atleast once... behind bars?
That would be the emptiest day in all the WWW's history. All hail server speeds on that day.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it's not irony nuttzy, it's hypocrisy. and it's not even that, since i've bought my copies.

the argument is whether it is right or not, and i'm sorry but saying "given the options available, if i had the money i'd buy it, but i don't, so i take it". is theft. simple as that. if you said that in a store after taking something, they'd lock you up.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm hesitant to get involved in this one, because it seems to be kind of a big issue. However, I'll tell a bit of my side.

Yes, I believe everyone here uses pirated software/games/movies, blah blah blah. But the legal consumer to pirate ratio is still largely leaning in the legal consumer direction. And I agree with what's said above, that if you never ever had any intention of paying for it anyway, then they really wouldn't have lost any money. Is it still stealing? Absolutely, but it's somewhat justified by the fact that you're not preventing them from making money.

As for downloading movies and MP3s, I seriously don't see the big deal with that. Hell, most companies (such as phone companies) are actually supporting the download of MP3s now. They might not agree with it, but they aren't exactly taking precautions to stop piracy. My phone lets me upload any MP3, no matter where I got it. It's not like Steam, where you can only play Valve games (online anyways) with a registered account and a valid, unused serial, which is then "used" when you bind that to your account. Afterward, you buy games which are then credited to your account, and permanently added to it.

So, I don't see what the big fuss is. I feel your pain Onslaught, but it's not the end of the world. I do, however, hope you beat the pissniss out of the guy who stole your bike. Then, make sure you take his clothes, drive him out into a field, and take a huge dump in his mouth. Then just leave him there to cry.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the argument is whether it is right or not, and i'm sorry but saying "given the options available, if i had the money i'd buy it, but i don't, so i take it". is theft. simple as that. if you said that in a store after taking something, they'd lock you up.
But you aren't physically taking something from someone else. You're copying it (illegally), and infringing on that copyright, but it's not the same as physically taking something.

It's the same thing with cassette tapes, and recording music off the radio. I had this sweet two-cassette tape player when I was a kid, so I would record something off the radio, and then I would combine all the best songs and put it onto a single tape. I also had this oldschool Walkman, but I digress. We've just gone from recording on cassettes to downloading with the internet.

Best answers
frsrblch said:
We've just gone from recording on cassettes to downloading with the internet.
Well said. Exactly what I used to do for all my favorite shows. I still love the Thundercats Collection i have on VHS. I aint making money ou of it, just watching what good shows the darn TV fails to show me. :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
As an example/rant: Because of torrent hopping 13-year-old douchebags all over the internet people like me who went to college and worked hard to learn what we know are now screwed out of what was, in my case at least, a $40,000 education.
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
... the amount of money I lost because I couldnt' get jobs because now a million people can put "Design" resumes together as long as they have ****ing Kazaa on Dad's laptop and mom's DSL connection.
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Internet stealing is only justified because of the generation of prepubescent ****heads that populate forums like this (where they got something for free, and are hoping to find more) that think they are entitled to free **** just because. That is also partially responsible why every other kid in America is a good-for-nothing self-absorbed know-it-all prick.
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Not to mention half the people here are below working age with no income and this so happens to be a website with a free game attached to it.
You say all that and then say that they have no income? Then how in the hell are the companies losing money? They're not! It's all potential gain, and if the product costs hundreds of dollars, then the companies certainly aren't going to target the "below working age with no income" people, so no loss. You're so incredibly over exaggerating the significance of a "13-year-old douchebag" pirating a copy of photoshop. I'm sorry your education was a complete and utter waste with no hopes of ever putting it to use, but I HIGHLY doubt it was because of a few "torrent hopping 13-year-old douchebags". If you got into computer design/programming, blame outsourcing.
Onslaught said:
now, of all things stolen, tools are looked upon as the worst things to steal. to take, or vandalise someones tools, is to take, or vandalise that persons livelihood. to take someones tools, is to stop that person from being able to produce an end product, which people need. so that he can make his own wage.

sure, a digital tool is digital, but it is still a tool.
Except you're not taking their tools, you're making a digital copy of them. Those tools are still readily available for anyone else to buy/pirate. If you want to say it that way, then let's say that the pirates are then getting tools themselves to start a livelihood, and in turn, supplying the 'community' with their products. IT STIMULATES ECONOMY!

Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
As an example/rant: Because of torrent hopping 13-year-old douchebags all over the internet people like me who went to college and worked hard to learn what we know are now screwed out of what was, in my case at least, a $40,000 education.
Yeah, its horrible to live in a world where you might be judged on your talent rather than the piece of paper you paid $40,000 for.

Your education isnt a one-way ticket to employment, you actually have to be good, and if you are good, you'll get hired.

Get it through your head that there are going to be people that didnt pay $40,000 dollars that are better than you.

Its a competitive world we live in, I'm sure making everyone pay $40,000 dollars to apply for a job would make sure that alot of talented people were put out of the running, thus making your life easier, but I'm afraid thats not how things work, deal with it.

Back on topic, In terms of piracy, I dont pay for music anymore, record companies got what they deserved, P2P crippled the industry, and rightly so, they charged too much for too long, just because some colossal douche of a producer demands four million dollars for sitting on his ass.

If an album is under ten dollars, I'm more than willing to pay for it, but until then, I'll stick to downloading music and going to live shows, **** record companies.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I couldn't agree more, Mountain Dewd. Make albums cheaper and perhaps people will start buying them again.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mountain Dewd said:
Yeah, its horrible to live in a world where you might be judged on your talent rather than the piece of paper you paid $40,000 for.

Your education isnt a one-way ticket to employment, you actually have to be good, and if you are good, you'll get hired.

Get it through your head that there are going to be people that didnt pay $40,000 dollars that are better than you.

Its a competitive world we live in, I'm sure making everyone pay $40,000 dollars to apply for a job would make sure that alot of talented people were put out of the running, thus making your life easier, but I'm afraid thats not how things work, deal with it.
I actually just got a new job, for a new start up paper in the heart of Boston, one of the hardest daily newspaper markets in the country. The company came to me--because they interviewed people from many other places I've worked and nearly all of them dropped my name, saying that I was the single most skilled page designer they'd worked with...ever. I am now the editor of three sections of this daily paper, and may even (god willing) be flown to other startups of the same type across the country to help get them running right. These people selected me because of my skill, talent, and knowledge of the industry.

They picked ME, out of hundreds of applicants, because they are trying to take down the hardest market in the country outside of New York. What we are doing is equivalent to starting a TV network that is supposed to beat the BBC, ABC, CNN, Fox, WGBH, and NBC all at the same time. We are stepping up to go against newspapers that have been here for literally since the dawn of print media's existence. And they chose me. Why?

Because I'm a bad mother****er in the news office and I can break my foot off in any enemy publication's ass, design-wise and content-wise. That's why.

My training...where to begin? I have been trained to present, write, and design news and print media (as well as news work for radio and TV). I can design advertisements that will make your stupid fat parents buy you crap that you'll strew throughout your house like it's worth half what I made you pay for it; I can make you believe in political candidates; I can make you go to the store when you don't really have the money; I can make you do whatever the hell I want, with colors, fonts, and images...and of course the power of suggestion.

When it comes to news I am an award winning (though uncredited) designer. Even though the plaque is on the editor's wall at Gatehouse Media, I am the one who made the pages and I am the one who, in a market of over 1600 papers, frequently achieved first honors for my papers that I worked on at my old job.

I am the most decorated paginator in the history of the Tab chain of papers, having achieved an unprecedented 14 award winning packages by various journalism associations throughout Massachusetts. 12 of said award-winning packages were designed solely by me.

So you need to get over yourself acting like you know some **** about publication and print media. There is a lot more to know about in order to do the job right then "oooh lol cool free filters." You don't know **** about dpi, you don't know **** about press runs, you don't know **** about CMYK color bleeds, you don't know jack about four-color press plating, you don't know worth a damn about CTP interfaces, Print media PDFs, You sure as **** weren't trained by people who revolutionized the industries of page design, and I know for damn sure you weren't taught photoshop by one of the people who actually MAKES photoshop. I also know for damn sure that you don't know jack and **** about ANY SORT of design conventions, you don't know any of the rules of competent layout, and you sure as hell couldn't pump out a vital cover package while being on the phone with one editor and having two others and the editor in chief look over your shoulder with less than 5 minutes till press deadline and two stories still out completely. I know for damn sure that you haven't the dimmest clue about RIPs, about

Seriously. You think because some punkass ****head kid with no computer and no talent downloads photoshop and does some tutorials off the web he is all of a sudden a designer? Get with the program. People like me are angry because we ARE good, both with design and decisions, but now there are so many millions of people to sift through in the design industry we get lost in the crowd. So good for you, you know how to make cool glowy energy blob effects and how to make a grungy-ass wall background. When it comes to making an actual piece of art for print media you and anyone else who didn't actually get trained the way I did would be a hopeless ****head--which is all I worked with at my job. You had web designers who thought they were awesome because they knew how to do some photoshop tricks but they were pretty clueless when it came to almost anything outside of said bag of tricks. They don't know the difference between photo resolutions, the differences between different methods of image compression, the way formatting is applied to pages in various programs, or how to work with four-ink color setups (which all publications have). How many of you can even tell me what CMYK means without googling it?

****, most people can't even use MS word's simple stylesheets, nevermind this stuff. You know what I did at one job? I made a script that allowed me to place up to 50 sheets of manual pages into a scanner, which then automatically scanned each page, cropped it, set its contrast to a universal levels, cut out any pen ink strokes of red or blue while never losing black typed ink, straightened the writing if it scanned in crooked, saved the file as a single page pdf in a much larger set of pdf documents, eventually resulting in a full 700 page compiled document. I barely had to lift a ****ing finger--because of my "useless" training.

I did that in two days because I rigged up that script. To top it off, that was for my father's agency's Council of Accreditation reports, the first time they'd ever submitted it electronically. I did it so well the COA people people actually used my work as an example of how it should be done ALL OVER THE COUNTRY.

So don't talk to me about people being better than me and my training being a waste of money. I've made a career out of showing up places and using my allegedly worthless training to utterly destroy everyone else there. I can do more work at a better quality faster than anybody you know or ever will know, I can promise you. I've yet to meet someone who I can't eventually supercede at anything as far as my work goes.

So don't tell me about talent. I didn't just pay $38k to get a piece of paper with my name on it. Hell, 10 grand of that cost had nothing to do with my diploma (which is in fact only an associate's); they were summer courses I took solely to better my craft. And for the record I worked my ass off. You act like I just rolled in with a check and went home same as I walked in.

Bottom line: you want to have anyone on this forum try to design an actual publication for print media, I'll be glad to step up and make them look stupid any day of the week.

Seriously. I don't know why I even bother. I shouldn't expect people advocating piracy to understand what it's like to work hard and spend a lot of money only to be indirectly robbed of it all.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you take this way too seriously man, go take a nap, or smoke a cigarette, or whatever it is the hell you do when you got a 2 ton bug stuck up your ass >_>.

people who DO wind up making a career out of said programs, do eventually HAVE to buy these programs before taking it past "hobby" status, Thats just how its done. A video game studio awhile back, (i cant be arsed to remember which one) got in some deep **** for using illegal software, and I bet the fine for doing so was horrendous. I assume most companies dont want to assume that risk.

lets say i download photoshop, and make pictures/renders that I never have any intentions of selling, (you know like MAJORITY of people who download photoshop do) there is no way in hell that this even effects you in the slightest bit, financially anyways, its obvious it turns you into the Tasmanian devil on the inside =P. (just using it as an example, my copy came in a software bundle deal at best buy with my UBER emachines desktop^^)

if someone downloaded all of these programs you claim to use, and then lets say by some chance (since you seem to think you are the best person in your field) managed to beat you out on a job. THEN I could see how this could be even be an issue for you.

lets look at the 35 or so models i released for esf since ive been here, not a single one was made with a program I actually paid for, and I released them for free as well, and that is all my intent ever was. I never once attempted to sell a character model nor did I ever plan to.

im not taking anyones job at EA, im not selling these models on turbosquid, im not contracting out stuff to any commercial project.

so you tell me, what do I do that is hurting or even effecting the industry at all?

jack ****, thats what.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well this thread derailed pretty quickly.

When is stealing justified? When a poor mother steals a loaf of bread to feed her starving children so they don't die.

- Closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom