when is stealing right, or good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
people like to try to justify theft, especially on the net. lets take piracy for example.

many people feel that, they do not have the means to afford certain softwares which could benefit them in the long run, and help them gain a better life. so they download them illegally, viewing it as not being immoral.

my question is this:

stealing a piece of software, to gain you a better life is different to stealing someones motorbike to sell, because you need the money, to have a better life?

i should point out that someone just stole my motorbike, and i am mad as hell.

Best answers
No, stealing software is different because you're not actually stealing it. You're just downloading a copy for yourself. It'd be like me going to your motorbike, seeing a "for sale" sign, and just making an exact copy of it. You lose potential money, yes, but not actual money.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
uhm Stealing big things sucks.... but smal thing under 2$ is fine in my opinion (lol)

poor you :-\ i wouldnt feel different.

Best answers
Hmm, well depends why they stole it. but all stealing is bad. Yeah piracy isnt as hurting as actual stealing.
I used to have a little kleptomania in me. lol. I stole a lot of books and stuff from this shop. but now I buy all my books there as a kind of repayment.

But I'm sorry for your loss. Stealing things from a shop is different from stealing personal stuff. So I wouldnt know your pain. My dad once lost his wallet. He didn't care seeing as he never carries cash over 5$ nor dos he love credit cards. He cared because it had a photo of me when I was 5. :( So I guess it hurt him a lot.

I say stealing is bad. Coming from an ex-kleptomaniac... well thats saying something imo.

Best answers
No, stealing software is different because you're not actually stealing it. You're just downloading a copy for yourself. It'd be like me going to your motorbike, seeing a "for sale" sign, and just making an exact copy of it. You lose potential money, yes, but not actual money.
I couldnt have said it better myself... :yes:
There is a difference in stealing actual money and "stealing" potential money...

But stealing somebody's motorbike is bad. I hope the cops catch that crook. Assuming you did inform the cops about this...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Piracy definitely isn't stealing unless you use what you downloaded and sold it IMO.

That sucks you lost your bike. What kind was it?
I think my wah-wah pedal for my guitar got stolen awhile back and I was pretty pissed. Also I lent my copy of Half-Life to one of my friends and I never saw it again. That realy pissed me off.

Best answers
Also I lent my copy of Half-Life to one of my friends and I never saw it again. That realy pissed me off.
Ha. I lost a couple of things that way...
2 good old Music Cds....
1 copy of "The Rock Says"
a couple of other books including "The Muder of Roger ackroyd" *sob*:\
Not to mention Ben Hur VCD and my Superman Collection DVDs.....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah piracy isnt as hurting as actual stealing.
Yeh, Less Jobs, more money loses for the companies as the breaking of a few rules.
Why else should Piracy get you into the Jail.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
TBH many of you may hate me cuz of this but... I never bought a game/software/program in my life, in my country even a kid thats 8 years old can get any warez he wants , we even exchange cd's at school. And for games that you need to pay to play online we just make our own servers (WoW for example). I hope no one feels ofended but what I've said.

Oh and it sucks so bad when they actualy steal somthing that you realy payd alot, sry to hear that man.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, in Poland there is literally one copy of each game in the country and the rest are copies.
However, with a car, the owner doesn't have it any more. With a file, it's just another copy...

I only think piracy is alright if the "purchase" is no longer in production or available elsewhere.

I dunno, I live in the UK. I don't need piracy and shouldn't judge others in that position.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Eh, I don't class piracy as stealing, But the way I look at it is, If you weren't going to buy the game, and you download it etc..
Then the makers aren't loosing anything, as they wouldn't have earned your hard earned cash in the first place, And its a copy of the original.

The only time I see as copying software wrong is if you download it, and play on the company's server, as they are paying for you to play online, Servers don't come free' and large game servers would cost allot. (Like battle.net or Zone.com).

And if you sell the copied material, You should be shot with the Moo2000 launcher out of South Park 64.

Personally the only things that are original that I own is Half Life, StarCraft and Brood Wars, FarCry, Windows XP and Windows Vista.
Everything else I hire, or borrow from a friend. (Good mates with Gameheaven owner! wewt!)

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That sucks a lot lee sorry to hear that bud. I hope you got yourself good insurance that way you can just go out and get yourself an even nicer bike.

Anyways back to the question it all comes down to what your stealing like most people have already said. Hell I use to steal penny candy when I was a kid and that could be considered theft!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, in Poland there is literally one copy of each game in the country and the rest are copies.
However, with a car, the owner doesn't have it any more. With a file, it's just another copy...
.... :\ .....You are Polish or anything?
;( Poland is maybe not that rich, but thats not a reason to say that Polish People only Steal!!!! Poland is awesome, Poland is nice.

back then i said aswell that polish people only steal, because people simply said it, then i was for a longer time in poland and its not like that at all. Just you are used to fight there if you are going to live in a Village.

I would even say myself that i steal more then anyone here.... ._. yeh i stole alot, im trained, so what? lol

sorry had to get it off.

Best answers
Not sure if someone already said this but I'll point it out.

There's taking a person's property and taking company's product.

Do you think the people at Adobe or Windows are depressed about people getting illegal copies of the product? No they're not... sure they try to stop it but it's not gonna effect their personal life so it's not the end of the world.

Products like Photoshop CS2 are like $600.. sure it's a great program but it's really not worth the price.. neither is Vista. I don't like vista personally... it's like a downgraded version of XP with a different skin in my opinion.

I never stole someone's personal property.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Stealing is always wrong, but how much it effects someone is different if you look at personal property and a company's property.

Adobe for example sells CS2 to 1 million people, so they make 600 million dollars. If like 10.000 people would pirate it, they would still make 600 million dollars. If these 10.000 people would buy it, they would make more money, but they wouldn't lose any money. Now if you steal someone's bike or something, they would lose their bike and they would have to buy a new one making them lose their money.

So in the end I think both pirating and stealing are wrong, but I think it's worse to steal someones bike than pirate some kind of software. If you steal someones property, they lose it. If you pirate a software, there will always be more people who buy it than people who pirate it, so they will make less money, but won't lose any money.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
.... :\ .....You are Polish or anything?
;( Poland is maybe not that rich, but thats not a reason to say that Polish People only Steal!!!! Poland is awesome, Poland is nice.
Let's just say I'm mixed Nationality and visited a few friends... Ja jestem "The 2nd Son" and Poland is great... despite the amount of piracy...

Anyways, I agree with Hishi with that taking people's stuff and files are two different things, and that Photoshop costs too much for it's own good.

A bank robber and a piratee are two different things.

I curse the guy who stole my bike!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I figure that if the company was trying to market the product to you, then it's stealing to pirate. Pirating games, yeah that's stealing if you don't go out and buy it, but I can't see how using professional software which was never intended to be purchased by me anyway would be stealing. I never would have owned it in the first place, so the lose nothing.

Sucks about the bike. I hate having stuff stolen. I even have the serial number from my cellphone written down so if somebody steals it I can call the phone company and have them brick the thing.

Mog

Best answers
If you can't afford something... then don't get it. Simple.
Want it free? make it yourself... :smile:

The only things that are meant to be paid for, but I download freely:
- things I want to try before I buy
- things that arent sold/licensed in the UK.
- things that are BTO (better than original) ...but I buy the original too... just don't use/open it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The main reason I download stuff like music albums is because I strongly believe the current prices, and this goes for videogames as well, are just plain insane. I'm not going to pay €22 for a new cd when I can download it in under 10 minutes. I say, make software / music cheaper and I'll gladly buy more of it, but the way things are now.. I doubt it. €50-€60 for a new game? What the hell, man.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
people like to try to justify theft, especially on the net. lets take piracy for example.

many people feel that, they do not have the means to afford certain softwares which could benefit them in the long run, and help them gain a better life. so they download them illegally, viewing it as not being immoral.

my question is this:

stealing a piece of software, to gain you a better life is different to stealing someones motorbike to sell, because you need the money, to have a better life?

i should point out that someone just stole my motorbike, and i am mad as hell.
Companies wouldn't be suffering as much as you or the Motorcyclist. No matter which way you look at it, these software companies overprice all of their products. And a lot of the programs are majorly unreliable, and often crash, or are not fully compatible with Windows.

Software piracy? I'm not against, but if you have the money... you don't need it for free. Or do you?

I couldn't stand their **** anymore:
Just recently stole Vegas, Photoshop & Flash. Hey, I saved $2,500. Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom