What's your take on HDTV For NG Gaming?

Best answers
Well i was reading over this ordeal at gamespot and ign a while ago and as most of you know, sony as well as microsoft have both decided to make HDTV standard for their next generation gaming consoles. As for nintendo they decided to go with what the majority do have already, and that's normal/standard defenition television i suppose or atleast that's what im getting at from this quotes.

We have no plans to support high-definition output in our next gaming console.

It is accurate that at this time we will not support high-definition [on Revolution]" --Perrin Kaplan
Im not sure if making HDTV standard for a gaming console is all that great of an idea, i truely don't beleive that the massive majority of people are using HD in the US at all.

In fact, i know high definition won't probally be a standard in most countries until the gaming generation after next, at least. It is a fact that HDTV does improve the overall picture resolution of a game, but im sure the diffrence cant possibly be that huge. Alot of people are making HDTV out to be a big deal or like it's a requirment now when only 1 out of 10 people actually have one in there homes.

So my question is, what are your views on sony and microsoft's decision to make HDTV standard and nintendo's decision to stick with normal/standard defenition tv, is HDTV really that important right now? who do you think made the better choice and why? is HDTV even worth it just to play a game in its best quality?

Note: This is all about the gaming companies choice regarding HDTV or SDTV, this is not an company/gaming console vs thread.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, switching from a normal TV to an HDTV, you will notice a difference, it's more smoother, clearer, and "realer" and makes games look even more impressive. So, I wouldn't mind, I'm only getting a PS3 anyways. The games for XBOX360 looks similar to the regular XBOX anyways. Right now rather.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've got an HDTV, and I really see a difference. Prices are always dropping, and I think it's always better to look to the future. Nintendo is known for being, shall we say.. "conservative," so it's not surprising they're the only company who wants to remain with the current standard.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
IIRC both the xbox 360 and the ps3 will still be compatible with current televisions, forget where or who i heard that from though. so dont worry about having to buy a new tv ^^

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So when they say "HDTV Standard", does that mean they won't wrk on normal t.vs?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no, that means they support HDTV standard, or, something O_O

All in all, their tv's! Just upgraded picture tubes and encoded into pixels and... stuff.

Best answers
The difference between HD and standard definition is like the difference between a computer monitor running at 640 X 480 as opposed to 1024 X 768. Of course, standard def is also interlaced while HD is progressive so on top of the 3X better resolution, those scanlines will disappear too.

I'm sure the revolution will at least support 480p which is essentially standard def with progressive scan.

I personally don't have a HDTV, so it might be a pain in the nuts if some PS3 game require such a thing.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It makes little difference to me. I have no plans to buy an HDTV in the next little while (not until I have a good reason to replace my current TV), so as long as all 3 systems support standard def. (well...at least PS3 and Revolution), then I'll be a happy man.

I understand that HD makes a world of difference in picture quality, but since I have no reason to replace my current TV (nor do I want to spend that much money on a TV just yet), I could care less if any of the consoles support HDTV's. As I said, as long as they will work with my current TV, I will be satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom