What's your personal sleeper hit(s) ?

Best answers
A sleeper hit (often simply called a "sleeper") refers to an unhyped film, book, video game, or album that gains unexpected success or recognition. A sleeper hit does not necessarily have to make a lot of revenue, it just needs to achieve a high degree of success relative to expectations.
Of course, the natrual success of your sleeper hit is irrelevant. What matters here is only in reference to your personal satisfaction-- meaning a game you underestimated, never hyped up or got caught in hype, ect.-- Only for it to blow you away, after giving it a chance. Thus, making it your own personal sleeper hit. It doesn't necessarily have to be a sleeper hit, among the mainstream.

My Number # 1 sleep hit, was just discovered a week ago-- it's called Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner. Its quite possibly, the best game i have ever played. This is coming from someone who has a strong dislike for anything revolving around mechs, but this game is just simply extraordinary. I can't believe i avoided this game for two whole years, only to sit down and go into it, expecting it to be the worst game of all time-- the game completely surpasses my initial expectations. The story is excellent, the battles are amazingly intense, and the graphics are quite gorgeous and very stylish, especially for a game released over two years ago. It goes down as a sleeper hit for me and it's definitely a very unappreciated gaming title, which i can see clearly now. I've only experienced four other sleeper hits this generation of gaming, which all happen to be for the Playstation 2-- this game tops all of them. So here's my list of sleeper hits.

1. Zone of Enders 2
2. Ryu Ga Gotoku
3. Shadow Of The Colossus
4. Street Fighter Alpha 3
5. The Bouncer

You guys(gals) have any ?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Damn it I swear I'm about to pop in Zone of the Enders 2 into my PS2. Defiantly a Sleeper Hit, better than some of the bull that gets a lot of spotlight

But, for me, the ultimate Sleeper Hit would be "Robot Alchemic Drive". The only thing I saw about this game in public was an article on it before it came out and it is the only game of it's kind. Controlling Transforming, building-tall mechs from a THIRD PERSON VIEW while trying to keep the player away from harm and battling other Giant Robots through a city landscape....

Playing it right now =D

Best answers
silent Hill 2 by far. the scare factor is great. it keeps u feelin tense and distubred the whole way through and the story is cool to. i never expected to like the silen hill series over the resident evil series at all, and thankz for that game, i do now :yes: :D

Best answers
Harvest moon - A wonderful life. Well maybe not the best game, but still got over my greatest expectations. I never though Farming simulation game could really be fun. (Sister bought it to me from some discount games section)
Well other than that i really have to mention ESF. Who would have though HL1 engine could be modded to so cool game (i expected something like kick, punch, blast...etc type of combat).

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd say a game like WoW, where I completely expected it to be an overrated game, but found myself a loyal player for a year or so.

Of course, I've moved on to better MMOs. (Lineage 2)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tenchu series, it was never especially popular and it's next-gen debut(s) only recieved average reviews, but it remains one of my favorite series'.

And yes, ZOE2 kicked tremendous amounts of ass. I only bought the first one for it's MGS2 demo, and loved it. The sequel was even better.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Valkyrie profile
final fantasy tactics(took them like 5 years after the fact to make it a greatest hits)
Disgaea

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
soul reaver

all of those games were awsome, the story line was just amazing, always left you wanting more, in a good way.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Morrowind and Bloodlines. I play both games again, again and again.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just remembered another one, Deus Ex. Picked it up in a bargin bin for ?4 and played through it five times (and it's not exactly a short game). FPS + RPG = Winnar.

Best answers
Parasite eve was sweet.
So was Rune.
but mostly, if a company knows it's game it will be successful, they promote the **** out of it.

Synergy

S
Oni

That game was awesome in so many ways, it was made by Bungie (Who made Halo 2, if you didn't know) You could break henchies' arms and do flip kicks and stuff.

Best answers
All the Legacy of Kain games. Rise of Nations, Rome: Total War.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chronicles of Ridd ick is probably the ulitmate sleeper hit.

The movie was so bad and instantly made everyone totally disregard the game, little did they know that it is just as good as fellow fps megahits like HL2. In fact, you could probably argue that it's even a little better too.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Star Ocean 2, Black and White, Disgaea, Shadow Hearts 1/2/3

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
hows that a sleeper? everyone and their mother has that game.
Diamond Princess said:
What matters here is only in reference to your personal satisfaction-- meaning a game you underestimated, never hyped up or got caught in hype, ect.-- Only for it to blow you away, after giving it a chance. Thus, making it your own personal sleeper hit. It doesn't necessarily have to be a sleeper hit, among the mainstream.
The discussion is about personal sleeper hits, so they may or may not be sleepers in the grand scheme of things.

For me, it had to be Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I condemned both games for a while, and then was blown away six ways from Sunday when I tried them, heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom