whats the best console WAD file and how to create them?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
there was a program called WALLY but I cant seem to find a way to use it in
a way to add pictures to my WAD file and I also dont know exaclty howto use it

I guess now some1 will post a tut link... thnx lol

and about the console wad files already there online...
please help me find them all and tell me which is the best IYO(aka IMO)

thnx ahead!

Best answers
I'm not sure how to create your own .wad files and such, but I do know that this site should answer all your questions. If they don't, they probably will on their forums.:]

Edit: Then again, I'm just assuming you are reffering to in-game .wad file sprays. I'm not sure what you mean by console WAD files.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
oh lol I have you on msn... and I didnt even knew it!

anyway I mean like when you ingame press "~" and you see a menu...
I want to choose myown pictures to put in there...
as for sprays... I am too... well tired... I dont remmember
what does it mean? sprays?

Best answers
Sprays are images you can display in-game that other users can see. As for the console background, I wouldn't know the first thing about doing anything about it.:p

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
well... I can just guess...
but do you need to install a spray plug-in and then bind a key=root_do
or something?
then it does sprays?
and does all other users can see that spray or just me?

Best answers
The command is bind * "+impulse201" and it works just like other hl mods. As long as the server hasn't disabled sprays, all the players should be able to see it. This site has lots of custom sprays you can use. They also have a request forum where you can request a custom spray to be made for you.:smile:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well this is done using a program that binds the picture into a special type of WAD (Wally isn't used).

Try this tutorial from VLatitude:

www.vlatitude.com said:
Adding your own console background for the console menu

This is also a little different as far as the method goes, though I don't think it's nearly as hard as creating a custom logo. Again, this step is purely optional, but if you're interested, here's how you do it:

The console is nothing but a regular old bitmap file. However, this bitmap file will have to be compiled into a file called cached.wad. As far as I understand it, the reason for this is, that because this is rendered as 3D, rather than a 2D splash (remember, that the console background is often accessed in-game), then the image is treated like a texture. Although I still can't exactly figure out why images can't be opened up in wad editors like Wally. So on that note, we'll have to compile that stupid wad file manually. Don't worry, it's straightforward. Make your bitmap image at 320x200. This file has to be saved as an 8-bit 256 color BMP (qlumpy won't accept 16-bit). It doesn't really matter what you name it when you save it. I'd just name it console.bmp. Now you'll need a file called qlumpy.exe to compile it. This file is included in the Full SDK (not sure about the light SDK). If you don't have the SDK, I suggest you download it.

Now we'll make a new empty directory. For the example, just follow along with me. Once you've done it, you can go ahead and make changes or do it in different directories. Make a directory on you C: drive called console. So now you have C:\console (obviously). Now copy your console.bmp file and qlumpy.exe file into c:\console. Now for the fun part; we have to make scripting instructions, kind of like a liblist file. Don't panic though, it's simple enough. Open Wordpad (Yes, just Wordpad. That's all you need). Copy and paste this in there:

$DEST "cached.WAD"

$loadbmp "c:\console\console.BMP"
conback qpic 0 0 320 200

$loadbmp "c:\console\console.BMP"
loading qpic 0 0 320 200

Of course, if you named your console bitmap anything other than console.bmp, you'll need to change that up there. Same thing if you're using a different directory (were you following instructions??). Now, save this document as cached.ls in the console directory with console.bmp and qlumpy.exe. Now run the DOS prompt (click start>run and type cmd), make sure you are in the console directory and type in "qlumpy.exe cached.ls". You can also type this in the run command box or you can also create a batch file to run this. Any way works fine. Whatever floats your boat. So now, the result should be a magic cached.wad file in your directory. So copy that file into the Aliendance (or other MOD) root folder. You're all done with this now. You can go ahead and delete that console directory when you're sure everything is working okay with the cached file.
To add pictures to Wally just open your picture in Wally then go save as and save it as a WAD. Then open up the rest of the pictures in Wally and copy and paste them into the WAD window.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
thnx very much Dante7524 - now I c logic in it!!

!XxShAdOwxX!:thnx for trying to help anyway
I c the cached wad file of ESF with wally:
WALLY said:
Image List:
CONBACK
lol
anyway I c no pic in wally, I mean I cant see the pic of teh caching thingy
nor anyother pic!
are you sure that what you said is all needed?
I mean I am amost 100% sure that it wont create a wad file with the same structure!

another thing: thnx for the very usefull seems like TUT thingy
but where to get the qlumpy.exe file?
or did ya just meant for a wad file for the post b4 your post?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
thnx!!
I needed that file
I guess that now I can create console files for HL!!
thnx very much
(should be stikied imo, or added to one...
cause important info and nowhere else to find it!
...)

thnx again!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dude, the tutorial said that you can't open the file in Wally so you'll have to create the WAD manually. You can see it but you can't open it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom