Whats better, bumping threads or creating new ones?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just out of curiousity. Cause I was wondering why my SF vs. KOF thread was back on the first page.

But when ever im in a forum like this one someone doesn't want you to revive an old thread, but if you create a topic about a subject already discussed sometimes that current thread will be close and the mod/admin will always tell you to go back to that previous subject (even though that thread is dead).

I have hardly seen that here but I have seen it many times in other forums, can someone explain?

🍂 Regular
Best answers
I'm for bumping back old threads instead of making a new one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It depends on the subject nature in my opinion. If the thread was popular, I usually try and ressurect that one, whereas if it's something that's likely to have changed, I would suggest to re-create it.

Best answers
I don't think it really matters which is better, if reviving dead threads is against the rules then you shouldn't do it.
If reviving dead threads were allowed then any one person could revive 20 threads in 5 minutes by picking out really old polls which would effectivly spam the boards.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
I don't think it really matters which is better, if reviving dead threads is against the rules then you shouldn't do it.
If reviving dead threads were allowed then any one person could revive 20 threads in 5 minutes by picking out really old polls which would effectivly spam the boards.
The problem with that is that moderators will sometimes berate a person for making a new thread with the same topic as one of the old threads. I personally believe that if the other thread is more than a month or two old, it'd be just fine to make a new thread.

Retired
Best answers
I think it depends, what ryoko said is a bit true. if the thread is basically exactly the same without any changes. why not revive it. it's true that its basically being frowned upon. so if you have a want to open a thread that has the same information as another thread. check the date. if it's 3 months old. it's best to create a new one.

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It also matters how many times the thread topic has come up.. Like if there is 5 threads in the last four months asking people which video card company they like more do you really think you will get a different answer from the other 5?

I say really think about what the topic is and search to see if the thread exists and if it would really get a different responce from people the old threads.

As for bringing back dead threads or "bumping" threads... do not do it. Everyone should know the rules and it equals an instant warning to the person that does it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And for wondering why your thread came back. I was planning on making one with that kof vs street fighter question, so I did a search and found one was already made. Realizing I never put a comment on it, I decided I would just vote on the poll so I wouldn't bump it back up. Little did I know, was that voting also bumps threads up.

So that's why your thread came back from the dead.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hate it, though. When a person bumps a thread, then I post right after them not knowing a "bump" took place. I would then get a warning from a admin in the form of a red reputation (under my UserCP) that says "Don't revive dead threads dumb ****". When I wasnt the one reviveing, I said nothing wrong, and the thread wasn't closed afterwards.

Best answers
boy that sucks for killedwithstyle he get slaped for nothing thats silly. alright now i know what to do since hsu said so but now if i remake a thread thats the same and i get slaped for it you will fell my rath..thank yuo for the jhelp now i may follow the rules better

Ryoko edit:

I removed the cussing. While the swear filter covered it, I felt there was too much.Also, if you remake an old thread and get warned, you will NOT invoke your wrath (what little good it will do anyway). If you were warned, it would be within good reason.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KilledWithStyle said:
I hate it, though. When a person bumps a thread, then I post right after them not knowing a "bump" took place. I would then get a warning from a admin in the form of a red reputation (under my UserCP) that says "Don't revive dead threads dumb ****". When I wasnt the one reviveing, I said nothing wrong, and the thread wasn't closed afterwards.
If something like that has happened, I am surprised that you didn't appeal that...

To that end, I am usually shocked by the number of people who do not appeal warnings or reputation deductions (though I don't know that you can prove a moderator gave you that) that they feel are unfair.

At any rate - use your judgement and search around. Hsu has the best point thus far - if it's a topic based upon something that simply has not changed, then there is no need for a new topic. In any case, though, I'd say creating a new thread is better than bumping...sometimes bumps are simply spam, anyway, such as a person posting "bump".

Best answers
thx now i sound like a pussy oh yeah!!!..lol sorry for all the swearing *cough* *cough*

Best answers
Ryoko didn't make you sound like a pussy at all, in fact, the edit made you sound semi-mature without the cussing every other word. Cursing dosn't show manliness, most of the time it shows stupidity and immaturity.

Anyway, wouldn't it make more sense for the polls to have a time limit to them? That way you wouldn't have people being sneeky and reviving threads just by voting in polls. It happens now and then, I think that should be a feature added by vB.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KilledWithStyle said:
I looked it up, and an Admin wasn't the one who did that. The person who did do it, however, has already had disciplinary action taken against him for abusing the reputation system.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry it took me about 2 or 3 days to reply but I got no ISP at home, so anyway, I always create a new thread about a month after the previous thread hasn't gotten any replies (usually longer if I dont think about what I want to discuss about sooner). I just wanted to know how mods/admins do it. Out of all the forums i've been to I've never been mod or anything like that so I donno how it is that you guys work it, but what Hsu said is pretty much accurate. I also agree with DP that sometimes reviving dead threads is better than creating a new one...

I dont mean to go into suggestions but how about creating a "Junk forum"? Where dead/previous threads automatically go via a script and it can be discussed upon there?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
... any one person could revive 20 threads in 5 minutes ...
you cant, since u can only post once every 2 minutes....so u can only revive 2 treads in 5 minutes....well acctualy 2,5 but...thats impossible X-x

anyway, u shouldnt revive treads since u can get mods mad with it and then u get warnings...temp bans, perm bans...blah blah, and re creating them would be the best solution, but making to much new ones about the same things would also make mods mad X-x

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom