What video card should I get?

Best answers
Okay, I am buying a new computer in about 15 days, with the $2000.00 CD I have saved up....but I'm wondering....what video card should I get? I want a good video card(NVIDIA), but I will be upgradeing to DX10 in about 4-6 months....so what is a good cheap card I could get?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Why not an ATI Video card though? Mine was about $90 - $100, and it really rocks. Could play Half-Life 2 very easily.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
My recommendations are:
Geforce 7300GT
The Geforce 7300GT it can be competitive against ATI's Radeon x1600pro
It features:
8 pixel pipelines, 1 texture mapping unit and 4 vertex processing units.
Its not quite a bad card considering its under 100 bucks. (US).

or a Geforce 7600GS. (I don't think any more needs to be said about this card).

Best answers
Why not an ATI Video card though? Mine was about $90 - $100, and it really rocks. Could play Half-Life 2 very easily.
Mine was like 40-50$ and it can play Oblivion... Barely though... (Ati Radeon X300 :( )

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I can't remember what ATI video card I have, because my bro has bought it. But I believe it was a.. 1800pro, not quite sure though.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I can't remember what ATI video card I have, because my bro has bought it. But I believe it was a.. 1800pro, not quite sure though.
I think you mean 9800pro. Only this card is very hard to come by for a reasonable price nowadays.

Besides that it's AGP and he needs a PCI-E videocard.

I would recommend a nVidia Geforce 7300GT. It's fine for a temp videocard and you even game on it without putting your resolution on 640x480.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I'm at my dads house at the moment, and the video card is ASUS "EAX 1300 Pro" for PCI Express. It's quite good :).

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I think you mean 9800pro. Only this card is very hard to come by for a reasonable price nowadays.

Besides that it's AGP and he needs a PCI-E videocard.

I would recommend a nVidia Geforce 7300GT. It's fine for a temp videocard and you even game on it without putting your resolution on 640x480.
Or he could be meaning the x1800 series of radeons.
For a Temp card, the Geforce 7 7300GT will play all your games, At medium quality. (My 9700pro Plays all games at low/medium quality).
And thats only half the card of the 7300GT...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Get this. It's an awesome card. It can do a plethora of different things. Like run microsoft word. maybe. And power point. Possibly.

It's your best bet i'm sure.

Best answers
At this point in the graphics card wars I see no point in getting any card less than a DX10 card. Vista and DX10 will be the norm, whether people like it or not, and if you want to get the most out of it, you'll need a DX10 card (GeForce 8800+). If you're not an nVidia fan you can wait a couple years for ATi to bring out it's DX10 card.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
At this point in the graphics card wars I see no point in getting any card less than a DX10 card. Vista and DX10 will be the norm, whether people like it or not, and if you want to get the most out of it, you'll need a DX10 card (GeForce 8800+). If you're not an nVidia fan you can wait a couple years for ATi to bring out it's DX10 card.

Considering that ATI have yet to release a Direct X 10 part, And considering if you have Windows Vista and any Direct X 9 part.... You can still play Direct X 10 games. (Like Halo 2!).
Vista Aero was made under Direct X 9, 99.99% of the PC graphics market doesn't have a direct X 10 graphics card, So how do you assume its pointless to buy a direct X 9 card when no developer is going to cater for a small percentage and miss out on allot of income? Sure games like Crysis may support direct X 10, But the game can still be played on Direct X 9 hardware.
Like he said, Its just a stop gap measure, later he will make the move to direct X 10 hardware, Personally I wouldn't bother going the Geforce 8 route, I would skip the generation and hope that the power requirements drop.

Best answers
Don't argue about DX10 now. In 4-6 months the next iteration of the G80 and/or the R600 will be out, which is when he'll be getting the DX10 card.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Okay, I am buying a new computer in about 15 days, with the $2000.00 CD I have saved up....but I'm wondering....what video card should I get? I want a good video card(NVIDIA), but I will be upgradeing to DX10 in about 4-6 months....so what is a good cheap card I could get?

radeon x2300xt will coming up this quarter. it may be a good choise for you if you have extra money.

it has twice power of geforce 8800 gtx. not to mention radeon x2600xtx pro.....

there's the source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R600

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
radeon x2300xt will coming up this quarter. it may be a good choise for you if you have extra money.

it has twice power of geforce 8800 gtx. not to mention radeon x2600xtx pro.....

there's the source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R600
For one... The card isn't out yet, thus there is no hard evidence on the product,
So there is no telling what kind of performance we could expect, And Nvidia is planning on releasing another High-end Series 8 Geforce during cebit. (They always like to try and rain in on ATI's Parade...).
Still, You could be right, But until there are some benchmarks to prove the performance of both cards, I wouldn't start saying "its twice as powerful as the Geforce 8800GTX". Because you don't know if thats true.
4-6 months is a long time in the graphics card industry he may find that the card he buys now will suffice for a few years and not bother, But as it seems the Geforce 7300GT and 7600GS are the best recommendations at this point, As like they say always get the best you can afford/need at the time, as there is always something better around the corner. (Otherwise you may as well wait till your in the grave).

Best answers
The X2300 is going to be the lowest of the low end for the R600s. Look at the previous product lines: X1300 and X300? Those are hardly high end.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Barney, what kind of Video Card slot should it be? PCI or AGP?

Best answers
Barney, what kind of Video Card slot should it be? PCI or AGP?
Oh sorry, I forgot to tell you all, I am getting a new computer and plan on upgradeing to DX10, but OF COURSE I WANT AGP OPTIONS! I so want to buy a AGP DX9 card and wait (a long time if ever) for a AGP DX10 card.

Yes skyrider how about I get AGP on my new rig. Screw PCI-E, why don't you go AGP too?

Best answers
Barney, you got 2 Grand to spend on a PC. Why do you want to get a little crap-o card?

Just want something low end til u can afford to get a nice DX10 card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom