• Other OEM Prebuilt Computer

Votes: 32 13.1%

• Total voters
Badassologist Ph/D
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
RAM can be thought of as a pipe. The more RAM you have, the bigger the pipe. Thus you can store and move more data through it, as needed, wherever it is required.

Your metaphor is good, but more specific. Its not just the files and folders RAM affects. Its everything related to transfer of data.
Ah that makes much more sense. yeah i wouldn't mind upgrading everything. really i feel like my pc is lower end than most gaming machines these days.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1. I feel honored that you would think me as both "everyone" and "some users". I guess being more than one person should have its advantages. :3
2. Hellion mentioned no budget whatsoever, whatever I mentioned were just some simple straight forward observations, nothing more. He never asked for advice nor recommendation.
3. I added upgrading RAM since I had already told him the Graphic Card and the Processor could use upgrading. Thus doing them together would make the most sense.
4. Again, I said he might need to upgrade it depending on his performance, I cannot stress this enough.
5. Yes, Pill Monster is right, I confused latency with Clock Timing. Thank him for correcting me.
6. Really Mkil? Really? o_O
7. Also, I don't see how Avenger played any part in this.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I told him he didn't know how RAM worked. He doesn't.

See, you don't actually have 4 GB of RAM to use on a modern system even if you have that put into your computer. I have 6 GB, and my PC lets me use around 2.5-3 GB of that for gaming. I don't have a lot of ****ty programs running in the background. That's just what you're left with in terms of working memory.

These "experts" of yours hardly seem like experts, and a lot of people on this forum have been building computers since they were eight...

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dude, if you use 32bit, sure, but on a 64-bit system, you're not limited.

Some operating systems reserve portions of process address space for OS use, effectively reducing the total address space available for mapping memory for user programs. For instance, Windows XP DLLs and other user mode OS components are mapped into each process's address space, leaving only 2 to 3 GB (depending on the settings) address space available. This limit is currently much higher on 64-bit operating systems and does not realistically restrict memory usage.
Also, with the way Windows 7 works, when you go into a game, it releases all the RAM it's using.

Windows 7 Ultimate

Limit on X86
4 GB

Limit on X64
192 GB
Using a program that can take up ram on purpose, I've managed to get up to 3.7GB of RAM usage. Of course, my system really slows the **** down at that point.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know a computer engineer who would disagree with you, but hey, let's forget facts and focus on some thread full of amateurs.

Best answers
Gigabyte. Graphics card :ATI.Sound card:Nvidia. lol i combined all sorts of stuff so my PC is average...

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Avenger, will you please just stop trolling? Some of the people on that site are in the worlds top system builders. I think they'd know more than you and this mysterious Computer Engineer you need. At long as games have 32bit Exe's, they can't grab more than 2GB anyways.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know I'm late, but hang on while I go get my friends. They're going to be so much better than your friends, just wait.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Not too late to throw in my info is it?

CPU 3.61GHZ AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor
MOBO Asus Crosshair III Formula
RAM 16GB DIMM DDR3
Video : ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Hard Drive (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 32MB Cache)
OS Win7 (64x)/Ubuntu 64x

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Hm, I see two stickied threads of the same kind, one was updated last month, this one which is more updated than the other hasn't been since 2011. I just built my new tower about a month ago.

AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ Quad-Core Desktop Processor OC'd @ 4.5GHz stable
16GB of Corsair Vengenace DDR3-1866 UC'd @ 1716MHz
NZXT Guardian 921 RB
ASUS M5A97 w/ UEFI BIOS
GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB PCI Express 2.0 x16 (will be upgraded)

The build is about 75% complete, still needing a new power supply, hard drives, and graphics card. Overall, system runs very well, and plays all games beautifully! :)

Force Pit Member
Best answers
  • Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
  • Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3 GHz
  • Corsair VENGEANCE BLUE 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  • OCZ ModXStream PRO 600W
  • XFX HD6950 2GB DDR5
  • SSD 120GB OCZ Agility 3

Bought the SSD and cooler two months ago, treating me really well. The graphics card is a bit buggy at times and I occasionally get initial lag in games. My plan is to overclock the 2500k to 3.8 GHz+, but right now I have no need for it. 8 GB of RAM is more than enough for me at the moment. I plan on buying a better case as I'm fitting all of this in an old Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo X ATX Tower, my budget was pretty tight when I bought the parts for my computer so I didn't get a good case for it. But as I'm hackingtoshing it, I have a plan of sometime modding a Mac Pro case and fitting my stuff in there. And lastly, I also have a set of 250 GB Seagate Harddrives from old times, will be upgrading these as well.

EDIT: The reason I went for the HD 6950 was because of the price and the fact it had 2 GB, which meant some kind of future proofing, as games are relying more and more on GPU memory etc. The alternative would have been the Geforce GTX 560Ti :)

Last edited:
Human?
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
  • Cooler Master Storm Scout
  • ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
  • AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3,7Ghz
  • MSI Radeon HD 7850
  • 2x4GB + 2x8GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz
  • Corsair AX850
  • 500GB WD Blue + 2TB WD Green
  • ASUS VG278H 3D monitor

I've had this setup for some time now. Gonna buy an ASUS DirectCU II 670 soon, so I can actually use the 3D on my monitor. Then I'll probably get a Corsair Force 3 Series 240GB SSD. Get a cooler for the RAM along with the Airflow Pro module. And after that I'll probably get a Cooler Master Storm Sniper case and a H60 or H100, I already have a H50 but it makes a buzzing noise which I dislike. And at some point I'll probably get a new 2TB WD Green HDD and maybe Corsair Link. Overall, I'm almost happy with the performance I get. I am extremely happy with my monitor, though.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
EVGA GTX670 x2 + Custom Air coolers
2500K @ 4.5GHZ
8GB RAM @ 1866MHZ
Corsair HX850 PSU
128GB Samsung 830 SSD
Cooler Master Storm Trooper Case
Windows 7 64-bit

---

Monitor: CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27" Dual Link DVI-D LG S-IPS QHD 2560X1440 Pivot Tilt Monitor(In Korea right now)

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I built my own PC.

Intel i3 proccessor with 4 cores, 8 logical threads, 3.10GHz.
16GB RAM @ 1600(or there about)MHz DDR3
1 TB HDD + 500GB HDD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 640

That's the main things.

@Jumin
Alienware are gaming PCs, and they are produced by Dell, silly!
I recommend buying a completely new PC. No offense, but your PC specs are that of a Nintendo 64.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
What was the reason to go for 16GB, do you do any professional work on your computer that requires going with 16?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom