What the hell?!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I got "terminated" from work today. It was my last day so I guess they just processed me early. But they acted as if they wanted me out of there and fast.

I had no ride home, so I called my step-father and he ended up leaving work to pick me up. he was ok with it though. He said he'd be there at 10:30.

They didn't wanna wait that long so they said they'd call a Cab. I called my stepfather and he said he'd l;eave early and get me immediately.

On the way home, Charles, my neighbor and employer, called me saying he got phone calls ringing off the hook saying things like...

"We cannot find the work Logan has been working on for the past week."
"Logan and Lauren (my sister) had attitude problems and weren't approachable."
"Logan and Lauren played video games on the clock and were paid for doing nothing."
"Because Logan's work cannot be found, this will become a legal issue that will be sent to court."

Charles and I are completely confused. He said he was going to a meeting to discuss this so he asked me if I can provide any information. Well...this is basically the things I said.

1) My work is on the shared file. I had overwritten the old documents with the ones I edited so they're all there. And to prove it, I had printed out all 500 pages and handed them in on friday.

2) I had no attitude problems at work at all! I didn't wanna get in trouble for having an attitude. And Lauren was the same way. We both were friendly people!!!

3) Video games? Lauren didn't play video games! I didn't either! I browsed the internet, yes, but I didn't play video games! If you wanna know who played video games, then everyone did. Flash games like tetris and pac man and computer games like mindsweeper. Everyone was guilty of that.

4) WTF?! Why would I wanna steal work from McGraw-Hill? They think I was stealing information like I was some kind of god damn spy. And its a legal issue that will be in court? WTF?!?!?!

5) Finally...if I was such a problem, why didn't they approach me earlier? If I wasn't doing work on time, why didn't they come up to me and say "Logan, you're not doing your work on time, so speed it up." Or "Logan, you're not being paid to be on the internet. If it happens again then you're going to be fired." I got NO coaching. Period. I was never talked to about any of this. If I was such a problem over these 3 months, why did they wait until my LAST DAY to call Charles and tell him all of this? If they needed the work done sooner or if there was concern about my working habits and behavior, they should have talked to me, e-mailed me, called me, or whatever. They should NOT wait until my last day and then drop the bomb on me for which I will have a hard time to recover. I turned my work in on time, I didn't steal anything, and I did NOT have an attitude problem. I will not deny I spent time on the internet, but I did not play video games. Everyone else did.

So yeah...I'm freaked out right now. Literally. I'm shaking. More in fear than in anger. Whats happening? Why is it happening? Why couldn't this be addressed sooner so it could have been resolved sooner? Why? And now I'm gonna be in trouble with the law? WTF is going on?!

I don't know what to do!

Best answers
Sounds like they're just trying to **** you over. My reccomendation would be to stay confident. As long as you've got some people on your side you should be alright. Since it seems that the fact that they couldn't find your work was the reason to make it a legal issue, I wouldn't be too worried if you have actually printed it out. You do have another copy of it somewhere just in case right?

I won't tell you not to worry, because that never works. But whenever you talk to them about it, don't look worried otherwise they'll walk all over you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-JLN- said:
Sounds like they're just trying to **** you over. My reccomendation would be to stay confident. As long as you've got some people on your side you should be alright. Since it seems that the fact that they couldn't find your work was the reason to make it a legal issue, I wouldn't be too worried if you have actually printed it out. You do have another copy of it somewhere just in case right?

I won't tell you not to worry, because that never works. But whenever you talk to them about it, don't look worried otherwise they'll walk all over you.
Thats the thing. I WON'T talk to them about it. They never came to me and I was told after I left the building why I was thrown out. And even then, it was my last day. Why wait so long for something that was apparently a constant issue? Why not tell me to shape up or ship out rather than just ship me out without notice or asking me?

The only one on my side right now is Charles...I can only hope he gets me out of this...but one thing is for certain...I wont be working there anymore in my life -_-

Best answers
They may have fired you cause they dont want to pay those (dont know the ectsact words) leaving funds.(well in case thees laws are the same as they are in my homeland).

They ought to pay you fiering funds to but only incase you were NOT fired for being incompentant at your works - so they made up thees standard stories abaut you beeing payd for nothing and having attitude problem.

And the law suit is emty threats so you would focuse your attention to that.
And not to the real thing for a while.
It is my opinion but may aswell be wrong aswell as right.
Good luck enyway.
(sorry for terrible english)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd be more angry than scared. Even if they take it up to court, you have the proof to calim your innoncense right? There is just a big misunderstanding, they need to get their facts straight, and stop jumping conclusions. It is very unprofessional.

Best answers
Chakra-X said:
I'd be more angry than scared. Even if they take it up to court, you have the proof to calim your innoncense right? There is just a big misunderstanding, they need to get their facts straight, and stop jumping conclusions. It is very unprofessional.
Gogo paying a lawyer <o/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Go in there and talk to them. Get your facts straight in your mind and just walk in. If you didnt do the things they are claiming you did, you should be absolutely fine. Theyre trying to tread on you, to get rid of you and make them look gracious for being lenient. If you can disprove their claims, you can come out on top. Try to get written statements from ex-coworkers affirming that you were friendly, that should deflate that. If they owe you any wages, get them now, before they try anything. Threaten legal action of your own if they wont listen (hey, if theyre going to make empty threats...), call it discrimination against your family. Id say that theyre simply trying to get rid of you. Tell them where you put the work youve been doing, who you gave it to and all that to clear up that load of bull**** as well.

I really hope you can get these things worked out, I know what its like to worker suddenly in a desperate situation not of your own doing. My previous employer went out of buisiness a few weeks ago and hasnt been seen since. I worked at a metal shop and aparently this guy was somehow running into debt. The shop closed and my ex-boss (really nice guy and all) is now living in a hotel somewhere. He didnt leave contact info and he owes me roughly $1100 in unpaid wages. He promised to pay me, and I know he would if he had the resources... what a mess.

Again, good luck.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok guys. Everything has been resolved.

My neighbor/employer Charles came over today and told me about the meeting.

1) Regarding attitude problems, apparently saying "This isn't a place I'd prefer to work at over 3D animation or MIS" is having a bad attitude. Charles simply laughed about this stupidity.

Strike 1

2) If I was causing problems by playing "video games" and "surfing the internet" during work hours and not doing the work at all, why did they not even document it and approach me to coach me on how to make it better? Charles said this was an example of poor management and that they were more at fault than I was.

Strike 2

3) If I had been such a problem for them over 5 weeks, why did they wait until the last day to terminate my position? And why tell me about it in front of everyone? Charles believes what many of you believe...I was a scapegoat. It was my last day so I had nothing else to offer anymore, so they used me to give an example to the other employees that goof off to take work seriously. In other words, they used me as an example of "don't screw up or this will happen to you." Charles assured me that there is a protocal that is supposed to be met when someone is quitting/being terminated....and none of it was given to me. And the way they rushed me out of the building as if I had a bomb with me was also rediculous. Charles told me that was just an assholish attempt to get other workers to take their work seriously. The only reason I was chosen is because it was my last day, so again...it was their fault. not mine.

Strike 3. They're out. But wait! THERE'S MORE!!!

4) These "missing files" were on a shared folder. anyone at any time could delete these files, but they assume it was me? Charles dropped the whole case completely, thinking it was just pathetic.

Strike 4.

So yes. I am ok now. Charles was absolutely pissed at the piss poor job these people were doing in keeping watch over the temps. They had no evidence of anything and acted so illogically that it was just rediculous. Also, Charles told me I won't be able to work at McGraw-Hill in Polaris again, but since he hired me as a Kelly Services representative, he can hire me for any other job that Kelly is a part of. So he assures I will always have a job under Kelly Services. Also, he is my representative for future jobs, so on employment history, I'd put kelly services with him as my contact. not mcgraw-hill.

In any case, McGraw-Hill has no evidence to prove such illogical claims, so I'm going to be fine. I ended up having the last laugh of sorts.

HUZZAH!

Best answers
Umm actually for accusing you with these terms and then terminating you, which they did you did NOT quit you were fired....You can susject them to legal issues on false information. They fired you without following their own policy and for telling you what you were fired for AFTER words and unofficially if i am not mistaken is against the law as well. I would maybe find a friend or a friends father that is a laywer and talk to them about it. THat is a BIG offense there

Best answers
Glad you've got it all sorted out :)
I still think you should go and give them some **** for messing you about though :D

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What's wrong with them ? is really that much of a crime to use the internet here and then at work when youv'e completed a certain task for that time being ?.

Best answers
this would of never happend if you tried and school, and got a good education rather than work in thus junky place

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sarutobi Sensei said:
Umm actually for accusing you with these terms and then terminating you, which they did you did NOT quit you were fired....You can susject them to legal issues on false information. They fired you without following their own policy and for telling you what you were fired for AFTER words and unofficially if i am not mistaken is against the law as well. I would maybe find a friend or a friends father that is a laywer and talk to them about it. THat is a BIG offense there
he pretty much summed it up. This can go against you if you dont straighten that out.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Future_SSJGohan said:
this would of never happend if you tried and school, and got a good education rather than work in thus junky place
He's 19, ever heard of summer jobs? I don't know many 19 year olds that have already finished enough schooling to get a job that one wouldn't consider 'junky', maybe you should be a little less accusing next time.

I'm going into my third year of university, yet I worked in a warehouse all summer unloading cases of booze from truck-containers, and creating orders for liquor stores, junky? Yes.

Cut the guy some slack.

On a sidenote, I work with guys at the LCBO warehouse that got in through Kelly's as well. If you lived in Ontario, you coulda worked with Opti all summer =P.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
College education will not always save you. The corporate world sucks sometimes.

I have this crazy belief that I will be able to one day get ahead in the world by working hard and being vastly superior to all the middle-aged incompetents who have no idea how to properly use a computer and sit on ebay all day while getting 1/5 of the work done that I do...but all I have ever earned at every corporate job I've ever had, is notably less hours, because I get all the work done in a vastly superior timeframe that they run out of **** for me to do.

So I'm a college graduate with a 20 hour a week job where I seldom break 15 hours.

I ****ing hate this country.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
RavenTrunks said:
he pretty much summed it up. This can go against you if you dont straighten that out.
Um...it IS already straightened out. Basically, they have no proof to their wild claims so it can't go against me at all.

Also, I found out that Ohio allows temps to be fired without reason. So I can't take that to court if I wanted to. Besides. It was my last day anyway.

I'm just gonna move on. I don't need no stinking court stuff! I'm out of there, I earned $3000 this summer, and I have something to put on my resume`. Also, Charles was my employer so he'll vouch for me anyway. Not the McGraw-Hill bastards.

So any way you look at it, I win ^_^

Best answers
ok sry man i thought you were some grown up guy working there lol... newayz.. optius prime where do u livei n ontario, i live in windsor

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Future_SSJGohan That is not related to the thread if you feel the need to apolagize do it via PM as doing this again will earn you a warning same with the question for OP.

On-Topic : I figured they were trying to make you look like a scapegoat scare the workers to working harder for less in fear of being let go which is probarbly why they got you the cab so you dissapear quicker anyway its good everything worked out for you and i dont think you should ever work there again.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Logan289 said:
Um...it IS already straightened out. Basically, they have no proof to their wild claims so it can't go against me at all.

Also, I found out that Ohio allows temps to be fired without reason. So I can't take that to court if I wanted to. Besides. It was my last day anyway.

I'm just gonna move on. I don't need no stinking court stuff! I'm out of there, I earned $3000 this summer, and I have something to put on my resume`. Also, Charles was my employer so he'll vouch for me anyway. Not the McGraw-Hill bastards.

So any way you look at it, I win ^_^
I'm really glad. Why were you so worried in the first place, though? You feared for being sued? :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom