What modeling technique do YOU use?

Best answers
Hi, I would like to compare and contrast diffrent modeling techniques for diffrent objects, because it always irks me when I try to imagine how I would model certain objects, anyway here's what you need to post:

The modeling technique you use for what kind of things (cars, bodys, hair, plants, etc)

Which one you use the most.

Some reference photos of your work (if you have some) telling what modeling technique and where (wireframes also would be appreciated)

Thanks for your time,
Islam Sharabash

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally prefer a poly by poly technique, without the hastle of planting any vertex. You start with a single quad and extrude the edges, and weld the verts as you go, I hardly ever use primitives anymore. I initially learned the technique on www.3dtotal.com in the highpoly joan of arc tutorial, they start teaching it in the head section. When it comes to objects, simple ones, I almost always use primitives. Like a pot and a plant, I would alternate from primitives and rectangles.

As for references, it depends on what I am modeling. If I am modeling anime, I ususally find some character sheets and work from them, if its realistic, I just search ww.3d.sk [lots of nudity, but nothing offensive] for some nice pics.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i usually model organic stuff, mostly bipeds, but i do the occasional quadroped...

i usually use a method based on manipulation of some standard primitive, more often a cylinder. and try and keep the edge loops as close to that of the muscilar structure of whatever im modeling.

sometimes though i just start with a box and see where i end up hehe.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
primitive modelling for body and simple objects, poly by poly for head.
NURBS/splines for complicated objects

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I start off with a box for the head, and make cylinders for the separate areas of the body (torso, arms, legs). Then I just work my way down cutting in detail and connecting the areas, while trying to keep the edge loops flowing in the same direction of the muscle structure or the weight/direction of the clothes.

If I'm trying to model realistic hair though, then I'll usually start with a rectangle and extrude its edges until I get the shape that I want.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i start in the last time by the head and i start almost always with the nose to the eyes and on.
i stretch a long poly over the head and then i cut it in many pieces as i gues i need. then i work poly b poly on.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Many suggest box modeling... personally.. I prefer extrusion.

Best answers
I start out with a plane, and extrude the edges, this is more commonly known as strip modeling. I use this for organic models, I extrude the edges to form edge loops, then fill in the gaps =x.

Best answers
Enix said:
I personally prefer a poly by poly technique, without the hastle of planting any vertex. You start with a single quad and extrude the edges, and weld the verts as you go, I hardly ever use primitives anymore. I initially learned the technique on www.3dtotal.com in the highpoly joan of arc tutorial, they start teaching it in the head section. When it comes to objects, simple ones, I almost always use primitives. Like a pot and a plant, I would alternate from primitives and rectangles.

Exactly how I model,

altho Before I start, I often Use the Line tool to build myself a 3d frame to work off of. its particularly helpful for faces and hair.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Edge extrusion (somewhere like Enix's method), and cylinder modelling.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Strip modeling (which is basically edge extrusion)

Best answers
Good stuff! This has been quite helpful and I think I might start venturing away from splines... Never thought as using splines as a guide for strip... sounds really good!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Splines? oo; What kinda of models do you usually make?

Best answers
The thing is... I haven't actchually made a model from start to finish, but I was trying to learn to implement splines in everything, but only was able to make faces and simple organic things like bodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom