What makes counter strike so famous/adictive ?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Counter-Strike was the first Realistic Fps(mod) based on War against terrorism, having realist looking and sounding guns, urban maps, etc.

Also it's damn fun to play, although it's ruined in 1.6 :s

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I play CSS religiously and it's hard to say what makes it so addictive... I only play on a single server with all the same people so I guess that's where a lot of the fun comes from. Also sniping somebody in the head with a scout from 200 ft is enough for me to keep coming back.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It maintained an interesting arcadey balance between realism vs. gameplay needs, simplicity vs. complexity, team work vs. personal prowess, one that a lot of people found fun and addictive. The prospect that it could be freely and substantially updated; new weapons, models, maps, graphics, etc., also made it lasting. Even people who got bored with the current version would come back if they released another.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When Counter-Strike came out, there was nothing else like it, it built up a giant fan-base, and it continues to remain popular.

Prove me wrong.

Best answers
I'm the admin of an Australian funmap server.

I find CSS to be fun when its played on maps with exploding floors and pits of death, vanilla CSS to me is pretty boring.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There was a map for 1.6 called skeet or something. One team started in a bunker and they all had AWPs, the other team was launched down a huge pipe and shot into the air. If you survived and landed in the swamp you could attack the bunker. That was pimp.

Same with gun mod.

Best answers
I'm the admin of an Australian funmap server.

I find CSS to be fun when its played on maps with exploding floors and pits of death, vanilla CSS to me is pretty boring.
Glass_war = the shizzle, amirite?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Counter-Strike was the first Realistic Fps(mod) based on War against terrorism, having realist looking and sounding guns, urban maps, etc.

Also it's damn fun to play, although it's ruined in 1.6 :s

How does 1.6 ruin it? I'm still trying to figure this out.

Best answers
Glass_war = the shizzle, amirite?
Haven't played Glass_war, but we almost constantly run Glass_trap, which is glass flooring over a pit, with plenty of things to send flying down to those who dont fall down the center :D

Woodfloor is also great.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How does 1.6 ruin it? I'm still trying to figure this out.
No, he's saying that 1.6 is ruined. Hackers, whiners, kiddies, etc...

Also, I play CSS occasionally, and I'm also in a clan (kL, incase you've heard of it), and I'm pretty good I think. I play on whatever servers my clan says I should play on, and their recommendations are usually correct.

As for why CSS is so addictive, I think there are a lot of answers to that. There are so many different ways to immerse yourself in this game. You can pretend you're a Counter-Terrorist and try to play it the realiistic way, or you can play it like an arcade game where bunny hopping and sniping go hand in hand. Also, the people can be cool (most anyways, some are just douches -_-). That's what I love about it personally.

Also, I don't think there's a factual answer to this question. It's more of an opinion if anything.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Three reasons:

1.) It was first (technically, anyway).
2.) It was free
3.) At the time, it was a new idea, and one that was not from the industry itself but rather from a small outer source.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I always liked pool_map or whatever it was called, with the bathrooms and the pool with grenades, and the ice_map or whatever it was called

and the ak_47 map or whatever where the terrorists had ak 47's and the ct's had the m16's

and the super heroes servers were sort of fun, i liked the warcraft 3 mods :/

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Three reasons:

1.) It was first (technically, anyway).
2.) It was free
3.) At the time, it was a new idea, and one that was not from the industry itself but rather from a small outer source.
You are correct.
My addiction to CS/HL And mods is the reason I had got a computer =O
Was still a blast going to internetcafe's and playing with some locals.
When I was 12-14, it was funny owning 18-30 year olds.
CS Required skill back then =(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, not anymore, but it used to be.
WoW is nowadays.

And Lion isn't asking what it is, but why is it so famous.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, he's saying that 1.6 is ruined. Hackers, whiners, kiddies, etc...
Well that too, but I think that LegendarY actually meant that 1.6 ruined CS. I agree. I don't know exactly what ruined it, it could be the shield, but it's really hard to say. I just like 1.5 more, and always will. Him and I still play it on WON, and occasionally on Steam.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, i meant both, although strongly the one what Spunky said.
1.5 was actually considered as the 'Last Real' Cs, since VALVe decided to make the mod as an trademark, to be sold as in Cs-Anthology, and in other packs, but before that, it was a mod.
1.5 and 1.6 are both good, but i still like 1.5 more for my own reasons.
1.6 didn't exactly ruin Cs, but there were some things that made it go down a bit. de_aztec for example, is a whole different map between 1.5 and 1.6 , and i liked the old one better.
Most important is in the end, that it's the same game, with same gameplay, except for some little things, and the community is pretty different when compared to each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom