What makes a good movie?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Everyone has their right to an opinion, but either way, Soulrush didn't answer the question.

Soulrush said:
Making oldschool shows or comics into a movie.
I asked, what do you think makes a good movie? Not what should be made into a movie.

Best answers
Naked chicks, always helps brighten up a movie. Take American Pie for instance, Nadia was ****ing amazing, and that was Deff a great movie.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People that can act, good writers, and a good director.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hot chicks, explosions, some sought of uber special abillities, a very evil villian with a dark past, martial arts or other soughts of fighting and characters that are out for revenge.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When you actually relate to the typical protagonist's regret and/or don't expect the antagonist's death.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Go watch the movie '15 Minutes' with Robert DeNiro.

Then go watch 'Memento'.

Then go watch 'Pirates of the Carribean'.

Then go watch 'Fight Club.'

When your done with that, go watch 'Carrot Top's Chairman of the Board.' Whatever that one lacks that the others have, are good qualities for a movie.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good Movie:

• Unique
  • Cuts to the chase
  • A nice, simple, well-developed, strong plot that doesn't take half the movie to explain.
  • A Director that knows what he's working on and reads through the list of cliches in my signature.
  • Actors that can act, not due to them being in high demand.
  • Small use of CGI, none if possible.
  • Realism to the fullest, no "I don't remember who I am, but I can fire a gun with 100% accuracy".
  • Good music - No instrumental of some rock song, no popular rap song, no lyrics, music that fits with the scene but blends with the movie.
  • Enough research into every aspect of the movie (2 Fast, 2 Furious - Tokyo Drift took the lack of research to a whole new level).
  • No more of the stupid racial stereotyping.
  • If it's based on a book, a tv show, etcetera, keep it exactly as it was, don't add things that wouldn't make sense.
  • No villian losing due to the hero gaining confidence in the last few seconds of the fight in which that character was previously losing.
  • Makes sense.
  • Has a blend of each genre if possible.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Movies with a story, but not some generic, cornyass story, but something that gets you thinking "huh, I wonder how this will play out". Have characters with different personalities, unique fight scenes, a climatic end, trying to avoid cliches and actually pretty damn interesting.

If it aint action, blow the audience mind's away. Not overthetop, but something that gets them in a certain way. Make them analyse the character and have them wondering what are they going to do next or "How is he/she going to handle this situation" and the results should not be ordinary, while still being an actual choice.

And bullet time.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i havent seen "15 minutes" or "carrot tops chairman of the board" but i definately agree on the rest. (me points to prides post)

I'd also add "Fear and Loathing in las vegas" to that list

To me, for a film to be a really good movie, its gotta be comming from a different angle than usual, i hate thinks that are terribly linnear. I like to be able draw my own conclusions from a film, and its annoying when it all just points to one clear cut - obvious conclusion. However, sometimes , it just doesnt work that way for some films and i still enjoy them, but then, i think it becomes more about the characters in the story, how you can empathise with them, inner struggles, huge changes in characters, all that kind of stuff, doesnt have to do with the plot but it adds an extra dimention to the story.

Oh and if anybody here doesnt mind black and white japanese films, you should check out Akira kurosawa (director/writer) he's got a lot of awesome movies, my favs are:

Seven Samurai
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
Rashomon (based on an old japanese story i think.. cant remember though)
The Hidden Fortress

Now those are some awesome films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom