What Makes a Good Map?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What's everyones thoughts on what makes a good map for ESF? Is it the detail, textures, sounds, things you can do, originality, what?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originality, ways you can interact with the enviroment and how it effects the way you fight. This is why i like battle arena and esf city so much, because they both have area's which completely change the way you play, they're not as open, you're forced to utilize walljumping more, etc.

Personally i'd love to see a map with lots of tunnels and stuff, to my knowledge it hasnt been done yet, the idea sounds quite fun to me.

Best answers
What skiwan said. I like maps like that because they're not wide open and it makes the map feel bigger and more immerse than just a wide open place where it looks really small and there's nothing to look at because it's really open.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Accuracy to the source material. I was quite relieved that esf_city (1.3) actually looks like a Dragon Ball city. In the same way I was quite relieved that 1.2's esf_cell_games wasn't set in the middle of a canyon.

It's not like mappers sacrifice accuracy for playability, most of the battle areas in the show where wide-open and spacious with stuff to throw people into.

Best answers
I personally think a map with alots of space and good textures, terrain and alots of good details.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A good map needs to follow a few simple rules.

1) No bizarre features (unless they actually work well)

2) Wide open space (so many people can play without it getting crowded)

3) Night (because it's hard to see when you're staring up into a white, bright sky)

4) Obstacles (Because no one likes a plain, flat map. City does this very well))

5) A point (just some random terrain map isn't usually fun)

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
- It has to be a normal map, no weird gimmicks
- It has to give people good FPS
- You need to have a clear point of reference (IE: You can never tell where you are in rosat because there's no point of reference)
- IT CANT BLIND YOU... I hate maps that are so bright you cant see a thing.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i like my maps more along the lines of new vegeta, massive but alot of obstacles although i would prefer bigger and more buildings

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think what make a good map is if the map was in the show , that's way all the noob's play esf_cell_games

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Any map big enough to resemble a small planet is fine by me. I like my battlefields to be big.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spunky said:
Any map big enough to resemble a small planet is fine by me. I like my battlefields to be big.
I like my map to be extra big and whit a lot of hiding place so i can get the enemy unde suprize

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
john_volkov said:
I like my map to be extra big and whit a lot of hiding place so i can get the enemy unde suprize
Which is almost entirely impossible, because if you press F9, you get a magical radar telling you where your enemies are...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LOL spunky.

on topic:

1.Should have good terrain, with plentiful cliffs or just a place that isn't flat and looks small, like my maps.

2.Fps should be stable and not go high, so low poly, the mapper should be aware of the limits.

3.Something to do in the maps, eye-candy isn't always the best, but if there are some secrets or anything like that it would be perfect, like a secret cave or a cool model or something.

4.Good quality in other words textures should be good and like above, smooth terrain, etc.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spunky said:
Which is almost entirely impossible, because if you press F9, you get a magical radar telling you where your enemies are...
Even if the scouter it's activated he will still have a hard time finding you because you can be up you can be down o and one more thing you can see him first on the scouter

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use my scouter alot, but I don't find it exactly hard to find someone after I saw him on my scouter, it takes about .5 seconds to look up and down, but then again you said alot of hiding places, so he might be able to, but I doubt that.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A Map with varying terrain;

You can have a lake at one place, take the fight into the plains or accidently get thrown into a very jagged (and narrow) area. I must say, I do like the little easter egg/interactivity/destructible objects now and then.

But what I would like is a map with the majority of it water. Ape_ocean was good, but you had to go into some structure to breathe. A map about 50-0% water (regarding depth) with obstacles and shapes like a normal map would be interesting. A map that makes me want to play it for something it has that other maps don't is a good map.

Best answers
john_volkov said:
I think what make a good map is if the map was in the show , that's way all the noob's play esf_cell_games
If you ask me, esf_cell_games is one of the best maps there is. So what are you to call people noobs? every1 has their own opinion on everything, and mine is that esf cell games rox.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
esf_cellgames is a masterpiece, great terrain, great textures, ideal place for fighting, terrain doesn't come in the way of a battle yet you can use it for cover to, it's balanced just right, DJ Ready is very proud of that map I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom