What Makes a Good Fighting Game

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What do you guys think makes a good fighting game? Is it a deep story-line? Large selection of fighting styles? Complete customization? What?

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it's the legitimacy of the fighting styles.... which is why Tekken rules.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A relief from an everlasting combo system, which is why I hail Super Smash Bros. Melee. as god's gift to gamers everywhere through nintendo. Also, longer more drawn out fights so that even a mediocre player can go up against someone skilled and hang in there for awhile

Best answers
agree with synth 150%

also, ssbm is a good fighting game, the ultimate party game. the ultimate drinking game too...but I wont get into that.

Best answers
Fast pace and realistic fighting. Which is why Tekken sucks.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
Fast pace and realistic fighting. Which is why Tekken sucks.
Yeah, because something like Street Fighter or Guilty Gear is realistic, just because it's faster.

Give me a break.

Best answers
Synth said:
Yeah, because something like Street Fighter or Guilty Gear is realistic, just because it's faster.

Give me a break.
I was actually referring to DOA. But SF and GG > Tekken. In fact * > Tekken. I've never liked Tekken games. They just bore me... the fact that you can hit someone into the air, punch them in the feet while they're still in the air and keep them up for like 10 hits gets on my nerves. It's not really a skill based game, it's just "whoever can get the other person in the air longest wins." Horrible character designs, boring storyline... there are just so many reasons why I hate Tekken.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree, I hate people who abuse the engine like that, it can ruin the game.

But, you can do the same thing in just about any fighting game. SF, GG, and DOA included.

Best answers
fast paced, deep gameplay, and interesting characters, thats what makes a fighting game. No matter how good the fighting system is, if the characters are all wire frame models with no defining characteristics i doubt it would be a popular game. You could have the most interesting characters in the world, but if the game itself sucked no one would play it.

I like most fighters, tekken being the notable exception(i just can't get into the game, it just feels clunky to me).

Best answers
well tell me something, can you not juggle oppenents in SF or GG? and in tekken, or the newest one at least, you can hit people while they are up against the wall, which is pretty realistic imo, i think you can keep someone up against a wall with well landed punches.

although, i do agree with you with the Fast paced, i really loved marvel vs capcom series.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In the end, it's all about preference, especially with all the black and white franchises in this genre.

Best answers
frsrblch said:
Large breasted women.
QFT. Also my spoon is too big.

As far as juggling goes in SF and GG, I don't mind it because of how far it is from being based on realism. And even in SF and GG, there is a way to get out of juggling through a counter, block or parry in most cases. In DOA you can counter almost every move if your good enough and lead it into a bigger combo, which can also be countered or parried if the opposing player is skilled.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think DOA is the best fighting game I've ever played, mechanics wise. It's not too fast, not too slow, though I have to say in DOA4 it seems like the life bars are WAY too short.

One thing that always bothers me is fighting games without a "reversal" system. Without the ability to reverse or counter a move onto your enemy, there is no real negative to them attempting it over and over again, which leads to all the things that make fighting games suck.

This began with Vega's jump kick in Street Fighter II: Champion Edition so many years ago, and is still a problem to this day.

As for balance well...Smackdown isn't technically a fighting game, but that is by far the most balanced and fair 1v1 "fighting" game I've ever played.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Games like DoA and Tekken turn me off. Personally, too 'realistic', zoomed in and slow for me. Streetfighter is alright (damn hard though), but I like exaggerated games like Guilty Gear and Marvel v.s Capcom (2), though how there is like a ****ing science on how to fight in fighting games that just bugs me/makes me jealous sometimes, I just play how I feel.

Then there are games like Super Smash Brothers Melee and Power Stone which cater to my interests.

Appealing storyline/characters, interesting moves, decent amount of character, eye candy, speed, freeform (or close to) combo system and plenty of replay value (SSBM did it right, MvC2 didn't do it (for me)). If the game has Super Specials, then they must be unique o appealing. Streetfighter alpha's specials were a bit boring when compared to other games.

Basically, an exaggerated, fast, aerial-fight-friendly, fighting games make a good fighting game to me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Big titties, because it turns us all on. Don't be afriad to admit it ;o

I thing games like Street Fighter II: Turbo was great. There weren't 500 different combo's, simple combos to pull off too :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like Tekken alot, I like street fighter 3rd strike.

I prefer tekken because you cant really be a cheap ***** in tekken as opposed to street fighter.

i dont relaly enjoy dota, not really my game. guilty gear is ok, a little slow for me, i do enjoy some good MvC though.

Speed, a little depth, and graphics dont hurt.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
About 7 versions of the fighting game.
About 70 characters
All characters have different moves and personallities.
About 30 stages
About 12 different modes

Best answers
I like fighting games with ability to use enviroment against your opponent, many choices and replay value. Also making your own character and developing it the way you want makes a good bonus.
Thats why i like Def Jam: Fight for NY, i havent played the other Def Jam yet...
Only minus in that game is kind of slow paced fighting system and finishing blow system... Altough its not too slow to actually bother me...

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SSBM,

There is no fighting game I've played that you can do what you can in SSBM, in terms of dodging- jumping- movment in general and interacting with the environment.

+ There are limitless ways to combo your opponent, and there are NO bs cinematic or (button combo) auto combo's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom