What Makes a Good Fighting Game

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like off-the-wall fighting games. Power Stone anyone? Smash Bros. was also fun. I like DOA. I loved Soul Calibur (1.) I loved Fighting Vipers. I dislike Tekken. I loved X-Men vs. Streetfighter. Wee!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love games like SSBM, DOA and Soul Calibur 2.

IMO, SC2 is the best fighting game I've ever played. Not just because of the combat system, but it's also incredibly polished. The graphics are superb, the characters have distinctly different fighting styles, and their styles all seem fairly realistic with just a hint of that special-attacking goodness. o/

Kilik for the Victory. o/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
does anyone here actually like king of fighters?

I like 2d games... like capcom vs snk2, mvc2, street fighter when the other person isnt being a cheap whore, and tekken.

i liked doa 3 for the xbox, but i played doa4 and was like eh...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
does anyone here actually like king of fighters?

I like 2d games... like capcom vs snk2, mvc2, street fighter when the other person isnt being a cheap whore, and tekken.

i liked doa 3 for the xbox, but i played doa4 and was like eh...
KoF is cool, but the series' latest installments are blah-tastic. x:

Kyo Kusenagi FTW. o/

That game had some seriously messed-up hard-to-perform special attacks, rofl. :p I could never get that **** right with the Dreamcast controller's piece of **** directional pad, lol.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Interesting characters with unique fighting styles. Nobody likes flat, uninteresting characters, which is why I think the VF series isn't popular even though it's the most technically sound 3-D fighter. I honestly dislike the Tekken fighting system (only because I think "juggling" is a stupid concept in modern, especially 3-D gaming; it exists in other fighting games but none nearly so much as Tekken) but I love Tekken's characters. They are half the attraction imo.

An intense combat system, i.e something that can be both fast AND thoughtful at once, and effectively separates newbies from veterans.

Variety: many different characters, many different stages, many different moves, many everything is generally good as long as you keep ONE CRUCIAL thing in mind

Balance. Easily the hardest thing for any game to do is to be able to see the metagame and balance it accordingly. When you've got 20+ different characters with 20+ different styles it's a near impossible kind of task. When a game is broken, nobody wants to play it.

Below that I guess is how pretty it looks, how many players you can have, etc., but I think that's the major stuff right there.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hitokiri said:
Interesting characters with unique fighting styles. Nobody likes flat, uninteresting characters, which is why I think the VF series isn't popular even though it's the most technically sound 3-D fighter. I honestly dislike the Tekken fighting system (only because I think "juggling" is a stupid concept in modern, especially 3-D gaming; it exists in other fighting games but none nearly so much as Tekken) but I love Tekken's characters. They are half the attraction imo.

An intense combat system, i.e something that can be both fast AND thoughtful at once, and effectively separates newbies from veterans.

Variety: many different characters, many different stages, many different moves, many everything is generally good as long as you keep ONE CRUCIAL thing in mind

Balance. Easily the hardest thing for any game to do is to be able to see the metagame and balance it accordingly. When you've got 20+ different characters with 20+ different styles it's a near impossible kind of task. When a game is broken, nobody wants to play it.

Below that I guess is how pretty it looks, how many players you can have, etc., but I think that's the major stuff right there.

dude you can juggle in doa just as bad.

then only juggles in tekken are wall juggles, and its your own fault for getting in the corner anyways.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmcoMTYA4P4

Only off the wall?

I used to know one for Jin in Tekken 5 (back when I played) It basically involved me landing a really fast, really low-risk move that launched you into the air. After that I would hit you like 4-5 more times and take off about 1/4 or 1/5 of the bar I believe. Every time I landed that easy launcher, there was no point *competitively* in me -not- doing that combo. This is karate Jin, btw, not even high tier. Anyway it just makes the game silly. Obviously you can play without a focus on that stuff but the fact that it's even there, and so advantageous, is a problem.

I never had much experience with DOA so I won't defend it. When I played it I found it to be really fluid and fast-paced. I heard that the reversal system was too easy, though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well Tekken and Mortal Kombat steals the crown IMO.

They both have the uniquness and the never ending new versions.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only fighting game I've ever truely liked and have had fun with is Super Smash Bros for the n64.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom