What is a "WEP KEY"?

Best answers
hi i just bought a wifi link that plugs into my usb port and gives wireless internet to my psp, nds, etc. but... i need to enter in the WEP key into my psp to access the internet and i don't know what it is, if someone could tell me what it is and how i can find out mine that would be great, thanks.

Best answers
It opens on mine. "Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) is a scheme that is part of the IEEE 802.11 wireless networking standard to secure IEEE 802.11 wireless networks (also known as Wi-Fi networks). Because a wireless network broadcasts messages using radio, it is particularly susceptible to eavesdropping.

WEP was intended to provide comparable confidentiality to a traditional wired network (in particular it does not protect users of the network from each other), hence the name. Several serious weaknesses were identified by cryptanalysts ? any WEP key can be cracked with readily-available software in two minutes or less ? and WEP was superseded by Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) in 2003, and then by the full IEEE 802.11i standard (also known as WPA2) in 2004. Despite the weaknesses, WEP provides a level of security that can deter casual snooping"
There's part of it. It tells what it is. It has solutions in the link if you can get it to work.
copy and paste this into your browser.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy

Best answers
um, that doesn't really tell me how to find out mine, but thanks, now i know what it is.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds like you connect to the internet through a router, and your wireless is password protected.

Best answers
i want to know how i can find out mine now... if anyone can tell me?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, whoever set up your router will know how to get the WEP key, ask them and they will get it for you.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you know how to get into your router settings, and can find the wireless security section, you may be able to unmask your WEP key.

Best answers
hmm i don't think i know how to get to my router settings.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Someone in your house must know if they set up the wireless with a WEP key. Ask around.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
type this into internet explorer, firefox, or whatever browser you use

If it's passworded, you have to get the password from whomever set it up.

If you are trying to jack someone elses wireless, give up, it ain't happening on a PSP.

Best answers
Yeah, but there's also the case where the router's username and password are:

"admin"/""

If you use a Linksys, there's a good chance that's what your un/pass is.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sandstorm said:
Yeah, but there's also the case where the router's username and password are:

"admin"/""

If you use a Linksys, there's a good chance that's what your un/pass is.
If wep is set up, I doubt it.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know my old d-link was 192.168.0.1, whereas my linksys is 192.168.1.1.

Retired
Best answers
or you could download some software out there on the net and hope there is enough wireless traffic so you can crack the WEP key. but then again if you didn't know what WEP was the chances of you using these tools is low.

Solution #2 - Router in your house has a reset button, go through the steps to reset the router and go to the manufactures website and look at guides on how to set it up

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
LOL Lite, I was thinking the same thing. A freind of mine bruteforced a WEP key in 46 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom