What is a good router?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What is a good router to use in a house full of gamers?

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
linksys wrt610n

Connect and share a high-speed ADSL line, 'always on' connection to internet;4-port Gigabit switch, works in either the 2.4 or 5 gigahertz radio bands to help avoid interference;Wireless-N technology for robust range and speed and more complete coverage throughout your home;Wi-Fi Protected Setup helps make wireless configuration secure and push button easy;Advanced wireless security and a powerful firewall help protect you from Internet hackers

4-port Gigabit switch, works in either the 2.4 or 5 gigahertz radio bands to help avoid interference
Wireless-N technology for robust range and speed and more complete coverage throughout your home

Wi-Fi Protected Setup helps make wireless configuration secure and push button easy

Advanced wireless security and a powerful firewall help protect you from Internet hackers

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@ madman - The reviews for that router are horrible.

If you want to go Linksys, the WRT54G is the absolute best router they've ever released.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I also need to be able to set my NAT type open.

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
ASUS RT-N16 with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware.

with
128 MB of ram
32 MB of flash memory
and a
533 MHz Cpu, for a router, this is a beast.

You should be able to find it for about $100 that's in Canadian dollars.

If my WRT54G v.4 ever dies, the N16 is what I would most likely get.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only thing is I need something that connects to this because the network setup with this like 3 years.

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
That's coaxial connection, do you have an all-in-one modem and router or something?

I think we more info.

What type of Internet do you have cable or dsl.

I'm assuming you have a router currently, what kinda is it? model number?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have Cable but my router is a Wireless Cable Modem Gateway.

Netgear CG814WG.

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Ya so it is a modem and router all-in-one thing.

To my knowledge ISP's usually provide those, I haven't really seen any around for sale but then again I haven't I've never in the market for one.

So for your situation, if you really need a new router I would either contact your ISP and get them to set you up with a stand alone modem, then you get whichever router you decide to get and set that up.

OR

Get a new router and use just the modem function of your Netgear CG814WG, although I'm not sure if that possible, you'd have to play around with I guess.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ya so it is a modem and router all-in-one thing.

To my knowledge ISP's usually provide those, I haven't really seen any around for sale but then again I haven't I've never in the market for one.

So for your situation, if you really need a new router I would either contact your ISP and get them to set you up with a stand alone modem, then you get whichever router you decide to get and set that up.

OR

Get a new router and use just the modem function of your Netgear CG814WG, although I'm not sure if that possible, you'd have to play around with I guess.
Alright. Thanks man!

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't get anything D-Link. My first two routers were D-Link and they both gloriously failed at lasting more than a few months, both with absolutely horrible reception (wireless routers).

Switched to NetGear and the damn thing has lasted me years, not a single problem. I don't know current models, but I trust the brand pretty well.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Definitely get a Linksys. I have had a WRT54G..S I think for a couple of years now, flashed a custom firmware and it's been a beast ever since. I should get me an N router though, this current Linksys only has a wireless output of 2,5 MB's per second, wired we can get 6,0 MB's per second, and wired straight to the modem, we can get 12 MB's per second. So yeah, wireless G isn't the fastest around anymore.

Best answers
Draytek if you have some money to spare. You'll pay probably twice what you'd pay for a Linksys or D-link, but it'll work extremely reliably and won't choke your browsing if you (or someone else) is using the network heavily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom