What inspired you all to make this mod?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I sort of have a good mod in my mind, but I was wondering, What inspired you guys to start ESF?

I just don't want to just give up on it, so I'm coming to the pro's. I just need the right motivation. ^^

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is this directed soley to the team?

I'm sure they have their various reasons. Some probably wanted some experience, some probably wanted something nice (and sexeh) to put on their resume, and some probably just wanted cookies.

Draft up a design document for your mod idea. Usually that'll tell you if it's truly something you want to work on, or if it's something you just thought would be cool one night. If working on the design makes you more excited about the project, then that's a good sign. If not, then... that's probably not a good sign, and you might want to change the idea around a bit.

That's my bit on game design. =E

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I don't really know much about modding..But you would need a SOLID idea and somethign that your extremely yearning to do, nothing like "woa! what if i made a mod about *whatever*! you could this, that, and even this!" You would need a personality that would be fixed on this strongly so you woudldn't blow it off easily, because it's not something that within a month you will get "Okay it's comming along nicely", because it has almost been a year (i think more?) since 1.2 came out and they are still working on 1.3.

You would have to try and forsee what you would have to go through to create it, such as recruiting team members, making sure THEY are dedicated, make sure you know what this will have (revised ideas) and make sure the team members agree on basically what you want, you would have to commit to the project, so you would probably need to know how to code or model/animate, cuz they are usually the 2 biggies (codding>modeling in the cases i've seen).

You would also need to know how to work with the fun stuff and the boring/hard/frsutrating stuff, like in Flash, because if you don't, it could severly diminsih your dedication to the mod.

But, I am no develpoer, only using my expierinces on making a long-term flash movie. But in overall, make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

And if you choose not to do a mod, I say learn Actionscript so you can make your own flash game :p

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
back in 1989 mastasurf & harsens got really and I mean REALLY drunk and thought it would be cool to make a DBZ game, but they didn't have enough manpower + skill to do it.
then in 1994 they found a little boy down in the gutter.
They took him and raised the kid as if it was their own coding minion/son.
He was named pcjoe, and by the age of fifteen, he was so well trained in magical the arts of codingh4x, that he made a complete basic melee system on the HL engine.
this lead to the creation of ESF, and the rest... well that's pretty obvious
others became interested so more team members got recruited, site was launched and with the site came the forum on which we are posting right now.
this story always brings a tear to my eye

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chang Wufei said:
LMAO HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA! XD!!!
As funny as Prozac is, I'm gonna go ahead and ask that you try to at least stay on general topic. It would mean an awful lot to auntie Pain. Thanks.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Prozac said:
coding minion
Coding minions o/

Didn't Mastasurf himself explain how/why ESF was started in one of the radio interviews? (the one with the annoying 13 year olds lol)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt said:
Coding minions o/

Didn't Mastasurf himself explain how/why ESF was started in one of the radio interviews? (the one with the annoying 13 year olds lol)
This may sound dumb, but... Radio? what do you mean?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF was interviewed on Half-Life Radio before (twice, wasn't it?), and yeah, I think Mastasurf did explain the beginning of ESF during the interview.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It was origionally called Powerup. It was to feature dragon ball only. But it got outgrown and became ESF. PcJoe wasnt always a coder. He did other things (sprites I believe) before he coded for ESF. I could go into more, but that is a basic summary of the current arguement brough up by DD. So if you want to know more, ask specific questions via PM. I tend to remember history all too well.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well if I remember correctly, joe used to do models and sprites for Battle of the Millenium.

-Karrde-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom