What if 1.0 and 1.1 were switched?

Best answers
Alright. Here's an interesting question. How do you think the overall responses would be if 1.1 was 1.0 and when 1.1 came out, it was 1.0, so the versions had switched over. Do you think people would like a stable server and framerate over smoother, if not mistimed, animation, choppy framerate, and servers crashing on a time schedule?

I personally would think 1.0 would be considered an improvement over 1.1, as odd as that sounds. I'd rather take the defects of 1.0 over 1.1 since apparently there's not going to be a happy medium. I'd rather be able to see what the hell I was doing when a beam was exploding and I'd rather hear sounds that didn't resemble a pinball rolling in a pepsi can when I charged.

What do -you- think?

Best answers
Oh, don't be complaining. I don't think 1.1 is that unstable, I haven't seen a server crash so far, and my fps has been normal (with the exception of now, when all HL mods seem to be laggy, see my other topic). Think about it: in 1.0, you couldn't even hold on to charged beams. That alone was a great improvement, and allowed beams to be much more useful. Giving Goku a small SB and torps increases the use of KI attacks, which is nice for Goku players, but not too spammagey for others. Vegeta's Renzoku kicks ass and no one seems to think it's cheap. I haven't had any trouble with sounds, and i can usually see what's going on. I really like 1.1 better, it not only makes Trunks, Vegeta and Goku better, it makes all characters more fun to play because of increased beam usage and decreased melee-counter cheapness.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just yesterday I played on a server for almost 2 hours. Absolutely no problems. My ping was about 50 the whole time and my FPS was actually higher than it would have been in 1.0

Best answers
I'd like to know what servers you played on. I went into this one server, I believe one of the ESF 1.1 servers and it was on kami. I'd go into the server, pick my character, move around, and look at the console screen. It was like Devil was there. And I'm not complaining. I'm stating my opinion and wondering what other people's opinions are. And it's called hold right click to hold a beam, at least in 1.0. I already made a post on what I think would be an ideal 1.1. Check the 1.1 is amazing thread.

Best answers
I've only seen improvements with 1.1.

The reason so many people have issues is because of their lack in ability to understand how computers and software coorolate.

They refuse to take the time and troubleshoot their own issues, rather than try and fix things on their own they go post complaints here. 1.0 Seemed good because it was a major step up from the alpha, in reality 1.1 has improved sooo many things.

Its expected to have some dissapointments and issues, but you guys really leech off of others hard work. I'm disgusted by everyones behavior. Even for children its unacceptable.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
beta 1.1 melee is worse then 1.0 but the attacks are better...... but the lag of 1.1 is higher so i prefere 1.0

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The lag isn't higher. Fix your settings. Once I did that my ping was much lower than before, and i connect to games much faster, with higher, more consistent fps.

Do I have to make a tutorial on how to set the damn game too, or what?

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find less lag in 1.1, and the melee is improved. I find that it is more challenging for people who capitalized on exploits like insta-counter.

Besides, if 1.0 and 1.1 were switched, we'd lose: Trunks' Sword, Kame Torpedoes, Smaller Spirit Bomb, Beam Jumps, and Multi-PS's.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Many people are using the term laggy to describe their loss in framerate, which, if you explore a bit and turn many settings off or as low as possible, you can easily fix.

Main Menu--->Multiplayer--->Customize---->Advanced. most of the options are there. play with them a bit and you can fix your drop in FPS

Best answers
Actually Trunks can still do the instant block counter so they essentially fixed nothing they said they would. Melee is just plain goofy in 1.1 compared to 1.0, and I'm no block whore.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only time I notice anything with my fps is when the 20 player server is full and people are sitting back on each side of a map with vegita just spamming the ki blasts. My ping is MUCH better with 1.1 and allthough I've noticed wierd overflow and random quits happening I feel I can fix that by changing a driver and/or going to a different server that feels healthy.

Best answers
I believe that Ping Booster program has a lot to do with the lower pings in that one set of ESF 1.1 servers. I ping like, 14 in there. But if I go to someone's homemade server, it's 100+ easy now.

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is one thing I will admit to messing up on, the sword..
You see, the sword is derived from the melee class in the code, and small parts are recoded so it can sheath/unsheath + do the insta kill... The peice of code where I disable the insta-counters is recoded differently in the sword file, so it doesnt inherit the regular melees code for that specific function...
In basic terms, the sword doesnt have the code to disable the insta-counters.
All I can say is sorry about that, thought i had it covered.

Elsewise, we specificly said that ESF is ment to be played on dedicated servers. Playing on other peoples servers basically sucks, the lag is horrible. If you want to be useful about the FPS issue, please fill this out...
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23365

Edit: Going to reply to the "what do -you- think" part...
Do you think people would like a stable server and framerate over smoother, if not mistimed, animation, choppy framerate, and servers crashing on a time schedule?
I think you're degrading 1.1 to garbage, lets get acouple things strait...
1) 1.1 is much more stable then 1.0, unless devil decided to crash servers more often.
2) Mistimed animations? What the hell are you talking about? The beta 1.1 animations are MUCH better then beta 1.0's, I really like them...
3) Choppy framerate, I'm not going to say anything this one. Some people seem to get the choppier framerates, and others seem to get better... Like I said above, if you want to be useful, please fill out the form in the post.

I personally would think 1.0 would be considered an improvement over 1.1, as odd as that sounds. I'd rather take the defects of 1.0 over 1.1 since apparently there's not going to be a happy medium. ... I'd rather hear sounds that didn't resemble a pinball rolling in a pepsi can when I charged.
1) Some people like the new sounds, others don't, tough **** I guess.
2) You would rather take the defects of 1.0? Wooo, lets crash the server with shields, powerstruggles, spirit bomb powerstruggles, insta-counters ( YES, I LOVED THIS ONE!! ), ping based head on collision, etc.. Yes, I would rather take the bugged up version over the newer non-buggy version with new features.
3)
I'd rather be able to see what the hell I was doing when a beam was exploding
I don't get what your saying, that makes no sense. Explosions are still the same, I dont think we even changed the sounds for them.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Originally posted by Halorin
Alright. Here's an interesting question. How do you think the overall responses would be if 1.1 was 1.0 and when 1.1 came out, it was 1.0, so the versions had switched over. Do you think people would like a stable server and framerate over smoother, if not mistimed, animation, choppy framerate, and servers crashing on a time schedule?

I personally would think 1.0 would be considered an improvement over 1.1, as odd as that sounds. I'd rather take the defects of 1.0 over 1.1 since apparently there's not going to be a happy medium. I'd rather be able to see what the hell I was doing when a beam was exploding and I'd rather hear sounds that didn't resemble a pinball rolling in a pepsi can when I charged.

What do -you- think?
If you feel you must whine about it, then keep 1.0, no one is stopping you. :rolleyes:

THERE I EDITED IT lol :p

Best answers
I'm not 'qhining' about anything. I didn't know I'd be 'qhining' if I wanted to know people's opinion about ESF in the ESF chat forum.

Best answers
Originally posted by Cookster
Its expected to have some dissapointments and issues, but you guys really leech off of others hard work. I'm disgusted by everyones behavior. Even for children its unacceptable.
You have to understand that the silent majority actually enjoy and support the team. If you don't believe me, go over to the Natural Selection forums, and get deafened by the sound of people crying, "If they change that, then I'm never playing NS again!"

As for the upgrade - I'd settle for either 1.0 or 1.1 at the moment. My computer went kaput Sunday morning. :\

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Halorin
I'm not 'qhining' about anything. I didn't know I'd be 'qhining' if I wanted to know people's opinion about ESF in the ESF chat forum.
Sounds like your qhining right now... using his typo like that just makes you come of as a jerk. He was only giving you his opinion of your proposal, which many of us can relate to.

You're trying to make the point that a hundred other people have tried to make in the last 2 days; you're trying to make the point that there are people out there who believe that 1.0 was better than 1.1 for some reason. The reasons have already been argued and there just doesn't seem to be a great reason to start up another one of these threads just because you aren't happy. There are other servers out there which are still running 1.0, and there should be for quite some time. Everybody has their own oppinions and yours have been argued more than once already. It just doesn't seem all that logical to whip out another thread with the same thing in it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
you are significantly crazy. 1.1 is a big improvment over 1.0, and if you dont like it, get used to it. People say the melee sucks, but i have seen someone get round the ki based swoops dead easily, it just takes practice. As for the lag, i think half the time people just imagen it

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok.

This is going to be the last time I'm going to say this.

We are NOT MAKING THESE THREADS TO CREATE HEATED DEBATES. Asking opinions is FAR different from what's happening here. If somebody feels that there are problems, let a team member respond. They can handle the long and short of what's going on with the changing aspects of the game. And, believe it or not, they can actually help you sort out your problems. WOW!

As I said. If you are gonna start these threads and turn them into a heated debate where you destroy each other's images, then they are going to be closed.

From this point forward, I want to see CIVILIZED discussion over 1.1, not these heated debates.
Understood? I hope so.

And with that, if this thread steers that way again, it will also be closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom