What has happened to this world?

Best answers
Sorry about this rant, im slightly pissed off.

It seems as though all compashion in this world is fading. Nobody seems to care about the values of helping or making somebody smile, and no, not by making fun of something as almost everybody i know does as a means of laughter.

.. Sigh.. I was trying to purchase a rare coin on the internet for my ailing grandfather who collects massive amounts of interesting coins, and not one of the 3 people in my house wanted to bid for it before it's last 5 minutes on auction wore out. (It's not because of money either, because i have plenty of money, just not a credit card)

All i wanted was to show my grandfather that he is still in my thoughts. His son, my father refused to come downstairs because he was in bed, his girlfriend refused to help because she was watching her soap opera and my sister refused to come help because she was watching tv.

I always thought highly of these people and thought that they cared about humanity and what many consider "karma". Obviously, i was wrong. And there goes the timer on Ebay, the bidding is over and so is this once in a lifetime chance to bring a smile to somebody's face, somebody's essence, somebody's existence, to let them know i know of them and their life.

This is pathetic, what is this world coming to?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You are just noticing this now. Compassion has always been a rare thing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Um.....you could have bid on it and then paid later you know. You dont have to bid and pay in that 5 minutes. If it was a "buy now" then you could have clicked the "buy now" and confirmed it and then waited for someone to give you a credit card later.

Sorry no one came to help you at that moment, but there really wasn't any rush. So its just as much your own fault as it was theirs. Next time, go ahead and bid for it. Most auction sites allow an average of 3 days for you to pay. Thats more than enough time to ask for/steal someone's credit card then pay them back.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How can you judge the entire race of humanity by the actions of three people. I'm not saying that everyone in the world is a holy angel but I don't think its fair to say that compassion no longer exists. Maybe in your family its like that but certainly not in mine.
Surely you'll be able to bring a smile to your grandfathers face. Possessions are worth naught when there is love. Visit him and tell him you nearly bought him a coin. I'm sure knowing that he was on your mind is more than enough to make him happy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are other ways to make your grandfather know you think about him, and while what they did wasn't very compassionate, you can't just judge them becuase of this one incedent. I mean sure it sucks, but they are probably good people over-all. I disagree with Opty, I know tons of great people that care for others, there are just times like these that blind us from all of the good things that people do.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well yes it's a little sad that those three people don't care enough to make your grandfathr happy, but idont think you should judge everyone in general on those three people. Even though alot more people are like that, not everyone is. And like there isn't a million other "very rare" coins on ebay. I'm sure you can find another. And if you really want to make your grandfather happy just go over to his house with a card and hang out with him for a while, maybe even the whole day. Maybe do things around his house for him. You dont have to give him something to make him happy, maybe just spend some time with him. Even though you seem a little angry right now, just think, maybe those people didn't know how much that coin would have ment to him. Can't always just be pissed because someone doesn't want to do something. Some people just want to be lazy sometimes.

[Like me]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Welcome to those who have lost their faith inhumanity.

Lid

L
Denominator if that is the worst thing you see in people you must have a very narrow look of the world. Then again I got to "girlfriend" of father and realised just why they were all so lazy.

Best answers
Humanity is going to hell. Not everyone is like this, but 50% or more of the world is- If they dont get anything in return, its not worth it. People are trying to change but cant. Old Habits die hard. Because of our stupidity and failure to realize that the way this world is going, what we do does count, and what we dont do hurts us in the long run. The world, not to go into religion or anything ill stay away from it but, is suppose to be like this towards the end of the world so says the bible. But do not discuss on that, keep this open lol. Helping a granny across a street or helping your neighbor is rare these days, but it is occasionally recognized. And in doing so, there is truth to people that there is still Nice people out there, but some have lost what it means. Technology has made many blind to what is really important. But they dont realize it, they think it is making their lives better, and better for the people around them, not true, but in some cases is true. The truth is with the way technology is rapidly increasing, time with friends, famliy will descrease until nothing is left.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Well, people are people.

I have the mindset that everyone is an ass, just I treat certain people like they aren't asses. People will always have instinct, which is to put themselves over everything else (not all people, and not all the time, but it's instinct.)

so just live life like a party, if something ****ty happens, just wipe it and go on.

Remember, some turds float, and some sink. But in the end, they all get flushed.

Best answers
Lid said:
Denominator if that is the worst thing you see in people you must have a very narrow look of the world. Then again I got to "girlfriend" of father and realised just why they were all so lazy.
Heh.. My view on the world is not narrow minded.. I cannot even begin to tell you how much i understand about life, existence, logic, and reason. Most of these things i have come to understand through, dare i say, drugs.

I just used my family as an example. And not to put them down, they are great people. My family is Portuguese, my sister raised $4000 to go to Costa Rica with my help, my father is an intensly respectable man..

I sometimes think that without my father's stories, insights, and culture being thrown my way, i would just be another uncultured person who cares nothing for anything or anybody for that matter.

Hell.. Ever since i moved to Canada it seems like i have been engulfed in a cloud of ignorance towards the world.. Not to sound steriotypical, i feel like i am living in a place that has no meaning but to spend money and die. I cant wait to move back to Europe and Africa.

God..

Any place but this history deprived, value degraded, respect voided, consumer whoreing, once courtesy filled land.

P.S.
ES_TANK said:
The truth is with the way technology is rapidly increasing.. Time with friends, family will decrease until nothing is left.
You dont know how many times i have seen this in my dreams. I fear what is to come with the way things are going now, but i do not fear my inevitable death. I believe that death is not the final rest, it is the final awakening.. This life on earth is nothing but a trip our young soul takes to wake up and smell the coffee.

To end with a quote i honour dearly.. "All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is give to us."

And by the way.. Does anybody here read anything about the study of logic? If anybody actually has any sense of existentialism, i'd suggest watching "Donni Darko" and analyzing it intensly. Then reading up on time travel. Hope is truly something that you can discover for yourself.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Denominator said:
Heh.. My view on the world is not narrow minded.. I cannot even begin to tell you how much i understand about life, existence, logic, and reason. Most of these things i have come to understand through, dare i say, drugs.
You'd be surprised how being high increases your understanding, or should I say, what you THINK you understand. Maybe I misunderstood but the way that came out sounds like a bad example.

Humanity as a whole may be going down the toilet (as so admirably described by Magus) but individually and amongst our friends, family and loved ones we are resourceful race. We fight for our survival and whats best for ourselves and those close to us. Your family maybe had a bad day. I stick by my previous comment to not judge humanity so harshly.

Lid

L
Taking drugs does not make you anymore insightful. At the time it just seems deep when in fact you come across as a faux-Nietzsche only not nearly as meaningful.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
as we know, humanity is fickle, pick a pound and not give a penny, im afraid its how it works with average people, if they see that its going to give them effort or grief, they tend to refuse to do it and stick to there meaningless task. even manners are in short supply in todays world. people are just becoming more self-egoistic and willing to step over other people for there goals. save your willingness in others for a good slap later on \o/

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I look at life as being a coincidental mix of numerous destinys that only co-exist for their own selfish mental and physical euphorias. No matter how much you try to create a positive outlook on life, the news, people around you, and the experiences that change your psyche, dominate a negative tone in an almost progressive manner, that shapes your outlook on life.

They say that you should learn from your mistakes, and consider them lessons, and since life is full of mistakes, couldn't you consider life a lesson? Then you ask, "A lesson for what?" Here's where religion comes into play, and all the forms of reassuring answers that are supposed to make you feel rightious and have personal gratitude when it's damn hard to not naturally be a materialistic prick.

The world has slipped into this "selfish" and "materialistic" epitome, because of a lack of parental guidance, that has slowly become worse since the beginning of time. Parents have children with idea that they are "growing up" and establishing the completely final "mature" account of "status" in the world. This whole concept is not only "selfish," but when the parents find out of serious and stressful having a kid can be, the "selfish" attitude towards raising a kid only increases. They look for excuses and way of getting of raising their kids emotionally, and sometimes physically. Their "status" is being jeapordized by the uncomfortable situation having a kid creates, and they eventually just throw their growing child infront of an entertaintment device, such as television or the latest popular plastic toy. In the end, the kid becomes naive to the real problems that are waiting for him/her outside the thin walls his/her parents consider a "barrier."

Which is why you see all these law suits against violent video games, and similar material that are recieved visually through other means, but still have the basic subliminal message of violence, sex, and immoral behavior. The parents should acknowledge these things as a tool to help their kids prepare for the harsh and coldness that today's society unhesitantly radiates, instead of letting them naively waltz into them, and then ironically scolding them for not knowing.

You should have told them about it!

Best answers
Denominator said:
Sorry about this rant, im slightly pissed off.

It seems as though all compashion in this world is fading. Nobody seems to care about the values of helping or making somebody smile, and no, not by making fun of something as almost everybody i know does as a means of laughter.

.. Sigh.. I was trying to purchase a rare coin on the internet for my ailing grandfather who collects massive amounts of interesting coins, and not one of the 3 people in my house wanted to bid for it before it's last 5 minutes on auction wore out. (It's not because of money either, because i have plenty of money, just not a credit card)

All i wanted was to show my grandfather that he is still in my thoughts. His son, my father refused to come downstairs because he was in bed, his girlfriend refused to help because she was watching her soap opera and my sister refused to come help because she was watching tv.

I always thought highly of these people and thought that they cared about humanity and what many consider "karma". Obviously, i was wrong. And there goes the timer on Ebay, the bidding is over and so is this once in a lifetime chance to bring a smile to somebody's face, somebody's essence, somebody's existence, to let them know i know of them and their life.

This is pathetic, what is this world coming to?
u dont know how right u are..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom