What happens after you die?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
In your opinion, what do you think happens after you die?

I like to think that after I die, I am, essentially reincarnated into a newborn. And life, for me, begins anew. Of course, I have no memory of my previous life.

So what do you think happens to you?

***NOTE***

This is not a religious thread. Your religious beliefs, if you have any, may govern your decision, which is fine, but please don't bring your religion into this thread unless it's to say "I'm catholic so i believe I got to heaven" That's fine, but nothing more than that is really needed, unless you want to explain why.

I'd like to see what people think happens.

Also, before certain people decide to come in here and start making false accusations, like usual, there is no sarcasm in this thread. Thank you.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You believe your reincarnated into another human or just another animal? At one point in time (I'm pretty sure this goes for now with our 6 billion+ population), there were more humans alive than had ever died.

I believe that once you die, your dead. There is no after life, there is no reincarnation, you're just dead. It's like a sleep or, imagine if you will how it felt before you were born. Nothing.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In my opinion,after you die nothing happens. It would have been nice for an afterlife to exist but i don't think there is one.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
You believe your reincarnated into another human or just another animal? At one point in time (I'm pretty sure this goes for now with our 6 billion+ population), there were more humans alive than had ever died.

I believe that once you die, your dead. There is no after life, there is no reincarnation, you're just dead. It's like a sleep or, imagine if you will how it felt before you were born. Nothing.
I used to belief it was basically just sleep. And I understand my belief doesn't make sense. But it's what I like to believe. And it was another human, not animal. Though I would love there to be a Heaven. Hell, not so much. But a place of eternal paradise would be nice

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm fine if ones beliefs don't make sense, as long as one doesn't try to enforce said beliefs on anyone else they can believe whatever the hell they want.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Exactly this.

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think its a black image forever, just like when you sleep, so I guess i'm with sub.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I used to believe in the Buddhist idea of rebirth. Which is that life is caught in a cycle of birth and death (called samsara). In that when we die, our consciousness is carried over to a new life. However, our consciousness is neither different nor similar to the consciousness of our old life.

At least, that's the way I understood it.

As to what I believe now, I have no idea. However, I still don't believe in a literal heaven nor hell nor any similar forms of afterlife. And I don't believe in nothingness.

So, the jury's out on that one at the moment.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I used to believe in the Buddhist idea of rebirth. Which is that life is caught in a cycle of birth and death (called samsara). In that when we die, our consciousness is carried over to a new life. However, our consciousness is neither different nor similar to the consciousness of our old life.

At least, that's the way I understood it.

As to what I believe now, I have no idea. However, I still don't believe in a literal heaven nor hell nor any similar forms of afterlife. And I don't believe in nothingness.

So, the jury's out on that one at the moment.
I am curious, what made you change your beliefs?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm fine if ones beliefs don't make sense, as long as one doesn't try to enforce said beliefs on anyone else they can believe whatever the hell they want.
It's impossible to be in nothingness, it's impossible to experience nothingness. Before you were born, you weren't in existence, it's an unintelligible state you are in before you are born. You don't remember any of it.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's impossible to be in nothingness, it's impossible to experience nothingness. Before you were born, you weren't in existence, it's an unintelligible state you are in before you are born. You don't remember any of it.
Of course you don't remember any of it, you didn't exist. Just as when you die, you won't experience anything because you will cease to exist. You're only conscience because of your brain. You're only able to read what I type and experience the world around you because of your brain. In death, your brain is buried 6 feet underground being eaten by maggots, rotting away. No more consciousness, no more anything for you. Nothing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

pretty much sums it up for me

i don't care what crazy religious **** you believe in, it won't affect our relationship, but if you start preaching and trying to convert me, saying there is an afterlife and such, that's when I get thoroughly annoyed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've always thought that there's nothing after you die, that it just ends there.

Déjà vu makes you want to believe in reincarnation, but that's just the optimistic way to look at it no matter how you put it.

It'd be great to have a place to go to once you die though.
However, you have to look at it the realistic way.

The time you die, everyone will start to forget you. A decade passes, and most won't ever know you existed.
All we will ever be, is corpses in the ground being eaten by maggots.

You live to die.

Life is great, but it makes you depressed to think that it's short and can end suddenly , whether you wanted it or not.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm surprised at some of the statements here. Reincarnation is an elegant theory. Wouldn't mind it if that were what happened. Nobody needs to ask what I think; they already know.

What bother me about the notion of ceasing entirely to exist is the strength, and the sheer presence of consciousness. It's difficult for me to describe, but the fact that I am here, actively thinking, more than an object...I can't shake the feeling that I merely exist within my body, not that my body IS me. Like, a computer can think and work as it does, but I don't think anything exists within it to truly experience what the computer goes through. Like I said, it's almost impossible for me to explain through language what I'm talking about. I could say it's consciousness, but that's not quite it...

What reinforces my feelings a bit (laugh if you will) are the "Ghost Hunters" shows. I've had some personal haunting experiences before, and this show goes far enough to be skeptical about what the crew sees. They analyze, try recreating the thing they saw, to explain it, before labeling it as paranormal. They strongly believe that entities we call ghosts are comprised of energy. This makes a lot of sense to me. After all, it is a known scientific fact that energy cannot be destroyed, merely transformed. The consciousness that defines a soul seems so potent to me that I find it hard to believe that it would simply dissipate upon the destruction of the container.

That's my take on things, anyway.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I feel you J-Dude. I am not a religious person, but given the way humans think, how we live, and what we accomplish, we are VERY different from the rest of the organisms. We made it possible to talk and see someone on the other side of earth from our desk, but we just "go away" after we die? Even if that is true, that's pretty hard to believe for me.

Biologically, yeah we just stop operating, but if we are capable of theoretically unnecessary things like unconditional love, laughter, and art, I do not think the idea of "something" happening after death is too farfetched

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have different beliefs. One is reincarnation, and the other is eternal paradise.

Personally, I highly doubt that there's just.. nothing when you die. It's really hard to believe that. Although I can understand an atheist. For them it must be hard to believe that your soul enters eternal paradise, or you magically end up being born in a different body with all your previous memories wiped.

But I definitely believe that there's something waiting for us when we die.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I'm surprised at some of the statements here. Reincarnation is an elegant theory. Wouldn't mind it if that were what happened. Nobody needs to ask what I think; they already know.

What bother me about the notion of ceasing entirely to exist is the strength, and the sheer presence of consciousness. It's difficult for me to describe, but the fact that I am here, actively thinking, more than an object...I can't shake the feeling that I merely exist within my body, not that my body IS me. Like, a computer can think and work as it does, but I don't think anything exists within it to truly experience what the computer goes through. Like I said, it's almost impossible for me to explain through language what I'm talking about. I could say it's consciousness, but that's not quite it...
I actually think I know what you're trying to say, and it's why I don't believe there is 'nothingness' after I die.

I definitely understand why people think there is nothingness; it makes total sense. But at the same time, after experiencing so much. There's so much to birth, so much that goes into making an animal or human, so much into living, that death is just over? Nothing after it? The end? Game over?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think that when people form their view on this subject, it's mainly crafted by what they want to believe. No one wants to cease to exist, the very thought of that is hard to contemplate, but logically speaking, I just don't see any reason on why reincarnation would happen or why we would go to an eternal paradise.

Actually, the very notion of heaven is confusing to me. By what standards is one judged when they go to heaven. I was lucky enough to be born in modern times and as such, I'm not racist, I'm for womens rights, I'm for gay rights, I'm for total equality. Yet if I was born in, say, the 1600's in America, I would surely be a racist and do many unforgivable acts. Does this make me a bad person? Does this make the people living back then bad people? I'm sure the people living back then would have my views if they were born into todays society. I get the feeling that if heaven did exist, it'd either be overwhelmingly filled with racists / prejudice people or it would be empty, mainly open to those born during modern times.

I'm not trying to change anyones opinion here, I'm just thinking aloud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom