What does NSTC means?

DMW

Best answers
In video games i cant figure out what the NSTC means,does anyone have any clue.Im beginning to think it has somthing to do with the region the game is in,Im wondering cuz i was about to buy a mod chip and by the purchase choices(its a set,dont need the whole set)it said NSTC(JAPAN) next to it.Anyone have any clue?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it basically stands for "games shipped in north american region".

DMW

Best answers
Really well thats good to know,thanks for the help Icye.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NTSC stands for "National Television Standards Committee." It's a video format. There are several in the world. Japan and the US use NTSC. A large part of Europe uses PAL. France uses SECAM. There's a few more.

NTSC: 525 lines, 29.97 FPS.
PAL: 625 lines, 25 FPS.

People argue about which is better--NTSC has a higher refresh rate, PAL is higher resolution but slower.

You don't need a mod chip to display Japanese NTSC video on your TV, but your game system most likely needs a chip to play Japanese games because that's the way most systems (excluding the Nintendo DS, surprisingly) are designed. Anyway, hope that answered any possible questions you had.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
NTSC stands for "National Television Standards Committee." It's a video format. There are several in the world. Japan and the US use NTSC. A large part of Europe uses PAL. France uses SECAM. There's a few more.

NTSC: 525 lines, 29.97 FPS.
PAL: 625 lines, 25 FPS.

People argue about which is better--NTSC has a higher refresh rate, PAL is higher resolution but slower.

You don't need a mod chip to display Japanese NTSC video on your TV, but your game system most likely needs a chip to play Japanese games because that's the way most systems (excluding the Nintendo DS, surprisingly) are designed. Anyway, hope that answered any possible questions you had.

you need a region x disk if your not in NTSC if you want to run one of their dvd's though. that doesnt apply to games. if you want to play any imported games, ull need a mod chip.

you will also need a 21 pin scart lead, instead of the default one that comes with your system, because of the way the video formats work, you will get a black and white, and usually grainy screen without one.

unless your tv supports 60htz (i believe).

edit: the PSP is also region free, (the uk model is anyway...) you can play any game, or movie, from any region.

DMW

Best answers
Why didnt they just do that with ps2,make it region free,well thank you guys for helping me out.So now im gonna get 30 bucks to go buy a mod chip or mod chip substitue(this disk changing thing)and go buy Naruto:Naritamate Her 2,FullmetalAlchemist:DreamCarnival
and a few other games but those two are the two i want most.Again thanks for explaining that for me.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pretty damn inconvenient isn't it? They make it so you can't play certain games so that one certain area isn't the only place people are buying from. Lets say any game could be played in any ps2 around the world, people oculd just buy all the games from the US since it will work fine, so they do that to balanced the regional purchases.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chakra-X said:
Pretty damn inconvenient isn't it? They make it so you can't play certain games so that one certain area isn't the only place people are buying from. Lets say any game could be played in any ps2 around the world, people oculd just buy all the games from the US since it will work fine, so they do that to balanced the regional purchases.

almost, it has a lot to do with exchange rates too. for example, i can get almost any game imported from japan, and the total cost is about £15 cheaper than if i buy it here.

i only have 1 imported game though, and no chipped ps2 XD

the other thing it has a lot to do with, is console outputs. its hard to make a console which will output to both an NTSC monitor, and a PAL monitor. since they both use different frequencies.

the US ps2 and the UK ps2, also both operate at different voltages, (i assume that would make a difference).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've noticed quite a few UK PS2 games come with the choice between 50hz PAL or 60hz NTSC. I have a TV capable of supporting the latter and you really notice the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom