Weird Combination Type Map Status

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In the other thread I was reminded to use the "Check for Problems" while using triangles to make up a mountain on my map, and when I used the "Check for Problems" I had a whole list of errors. I hit the "fix all (of this type)" button since all of the errors had to do with invalid surfaces and it completely destroyed my map (70% of my map was messed up). I don't know why Hammer does this, but when you fix certain errors that involve a brush it resizes the brush so that it extends to the end of the grid or it deletes the brush.

Another problem I was having was compiling the map with .wad files I made with Wally's, in which an error pops up saying "cannot open [name].wad".

So I decided to discountinue that map for now. I apologize for deleting the other thread, but I was really mad that my whole map was ruined and I didn't want to bother remaking most of it. I really appreciate the help I received though.

I still can't figure out how to use the triangles to make up the mountain though, and that tutorial didn't really help me that much.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When you have Hammer fix invalid brushes it just does the simplest thing it can to make the brush convex and valid. That's why using triangles, the simplest primitive, is so flexible - there's very few ways to make an invalid brush, and you can approximate any kind of surface. I'll work on a tutorial. :)

The WAD package you created either has to be in your ESF folder, or compiled into the map (using either wadinclude or nowadtextures). If it isn't then it won't be found and the map won't load.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, I really appreciate the information.

About the WAD's, I didn't know you could compile them into a map. Maybe that was what was causing the compiling problem.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey DD, that's a good tutorial, did you create it just now? You should put it up at esfworld or something! Hope that solves your problems MC.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DragonDude said:
DD's Triangle Brush Tutorial(tm)

If anything isn't clear, just ask. Hopefully it'll help.
Oh! Alright, I get it. I really appreciate the help, that tutorial cleared up a lot of things.

donnierisk said:
Hey DD, that's a good tutorial, did you create it just now? You should put it up at esfworld or something! Hope that solves your problems MC.
It does.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, so you know now, that when you make a block, you cut it up into 2 triangles, and when you vertex, the top and bottom vertices don't move away from each other, if you know what I mean, in other words you have to select the top AND bottom one to make hills, etc. REMEMBER!

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Small update (Video): http://www.freewebs.com/danotoriousmc/Moviefxg.wmv

Don't mind the music, I forgot that Fraps audio recording default is set to "What U Hear", and I was listening to that song while recording.

Side Question: How do you get Fraps to take screenshots, or make videos of the whole editor rather than just the 3d view point?

I'm still working on the mountain (I had the delete the whole thing due to invalid brush errors, not to mention it looked terrible). I manage to fix a lot of stuff in that map even though it was pretty much ruined from before (took a while).

Edit

I did have a lot more done then this but like I said in the beginning of this thread, 70% of the map was ruined due to a lot of invalid brush errors which caused them to either be deleted by Valve Hammer or stretched to the end of the grid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom