Ways to cool down your CPU

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The whole system has been getting temps of over 140 Degrees Fahrenheit, and 60 Degrees Celcius. I wonder, without spending much money, how I can cool down my system? The case is currently off, and an external fan uses too much electricity.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What type of internal fans are you running, and how many are there? Did you personally install your active heatsink on the processor? Is there open space for air to move around in your case? Do you use ribbon or round cables?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Internal Fans: 3 - 1 Mobo, 1 Case, 1 Graphics Card. About what type, im not totally sure, but I got 1 small, and 2 medium.

Heatsink - No, although the PC was custom build.

Open Space - There is plenty of space, except around the HDD / RAM part, where (tied) cables are breeding.

Ribbon or Round Cables - I'm not totally sure on this. (If my assumptions are right, the round cables are cable-cables, whereas the ribbon cables are the many cables packed together to form one 'snake'.) I'm using both, but I have more round cables.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heatsink - No, although the PC was custom build.
You're saying there's no Heatsink on the processor? There is your problem. Didn't one come with your CPU?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
You're saying there's no Heatsink on the processor? There is your problem. Didn't one come with your CPU?
Make sure you have a heatsink under the processor fan and system fan. You may want to add a 80mm or 120mm fan to the case if you have a mount for it. Make sure those cables aren't choking off air to the Optical Drives near the top.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Get a custom hsf, you can get some good oens for around $30 - $60. I'd reccomend getting a thermaltake Big typhoon (It sports a 120mm fan on it and is a heatpipe heatsink & way a bit for a heatsink, the only thing you have to worry about is if it will fit in your case :p) or get a zalman cooler.

Best answers
you could always a airconditioning unit big and noisy but work

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom