Water found on Saturns moon

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OMG THERE IS WATER ON THE MOON! EVEN THOUGH WE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT, WHAT WITH THERE BEING ICE AND ALL! THAT MUST MEAN THERE'S LIFE!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, these guys need to get out more, just because you see water doesn't mean there is going to be life in the planet/moon. I don't see anyone saying "oh look that one has CO2 as an atmosphere, maybe something lives there."

MMM anaerobic organisms, of course no one ever thought of that.

"We have the smoking gun" that proves the existence of water, said Carolyn Porco, a Cassini imaging scientist from the Space Science Institute in Boulder, Colo.

That made me laugh. Proves the existence of water eh? I'll prove the existence of water, let me just go get a glass first, i'll get some from the sink.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They weren't claiming that there's a good chance of life on that planet, only a greater chance than you know... say Jupiter :p

Pretty neat stuff, not all frozen liquids are water :O

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
OMG THERE IS WATER ON THE MOON! EVEN THOUGH WE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT, WHAT WITH THERE BEING ICE AND ALL! THAT MUST MEAN THERE'S LIFE!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, these guys need to get out more, just because you see water doesn't mean there is going to be life in the planet/moon. I don't see anyone saying "oh look that one has CO2 as an atmosphere, maybe something lives there."

MMM anaerobic organisms, of course no one ever thought of that.

"We have the smoking gun" that proves the existence of water, said Carolyn Porco, a Cassini imaging scientist from the Space Science Institute in Boulder, Colo.

That made me laugh. Proves the existence of water eh? I'll prove the existence of water, let me just go get a glass first, i'll get some from the sink.
You're a very negative guy. Every post you make, you have a sarcastic comment insulting someone or something.

This is a significant discovery because for the first time, we are almost certain that there is water on another planet. Water is obviously one of the things considered to be essential for life on other planets, hence the reason this discovery is so important. If there is water on Earth and now water on Saturns moon, that means that the chance we find water on other planets is significantly increased.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
You're a very negative guy. Every post you make, you have a sarcastic comment insulting someone or something.

This is a significant discovery because for the first time, we are almost certain that there is water on another planet. Water is obviously one of the things considered to be essential for life on other planets, hence the reason this discovery is so important. If there is water on Earth and now water on Saturns moon, that means that the chance we find water on other planets is significantly increased.
This isn't a significant discovery because we KNOW there is water on other planets. Dude we found life on mars. They were microscopic and they died shortly after, but it was life. We know there's water on other planets because there is water on Earth. It's simple common sense.

We know there is life on other planets we know there is water on other planets, we just haven't seen them. Our planet is the only planet in our solar system to have life. Of course there is water on Saturns moons, Saturn has a **** load of ice rings...

Also, just because we're the only planet that needs water to sustain life, doesn't mean every other being in the universe is the same. What they are proposing is a theory not a law.

If the mods have a problem with my "negativity" and my "sarcasm" then they'd have done something either already, or in the near future. Leave it to them.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I have to agree with Sub to be honest Fire Phoenix. Even in the "Sub Clan" Suggestion you pointed out negative stuff on to less players, and on my comment on it. Even though you may have some facts, yet you are saying them in a negative way.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
This isn't a significant discovery because we KNOW there is water on other planets. Dude we found life on mars. They were microscopic and they died shortly after, but it was life. We know there's water on other planets because there is water on Earth. It's simple common sense.
The thing is, we don't know that there was bacterial life on Mars. We found a meteorite in Antarctica that is believed to be from Mars. In this meteorite, we found something that resembles a fossil of a microscopic organism. We do not know for sure that it’s a fossil of a microscopic organism, it was never proven.

Fire Phoenix said:
We know there is life on other planets we know there is water on other planets, we just haven't seen them. Our planet is the only planet in our solar system to have life. Of course there is water on Saturns moons, Saturn has a **** load of ice rings...
You cannot go claiming things that you do not know for a fact. We do not know there is life on other planets, no one knows that. For the record, I do believe there is other life on other planets, but since we have no proof, we can only speculate. The reason that this discovery is so significant is because it is a small bit of proof that life could be sustained outside of earth.

Fire Phoenix said:
Also, just because we're the only planet that needs water to sustain life, doesn't mean every other being in the universe is the same. What they are proposing is a theory not a law.
That is true, but we can only go by what we have on Earth. On Earth, life needs water to sustain it, it needs an atmosphere to sustain it. We can only assume it needs this on other planets until we have proof otherwise.

Fire Phoenix said:
If the mods have a problem with my "negativity" and my "sarcasm" then they'd have done something either already, or in the near future. Leave it to them.
I mean no offense, I’m just saying you should chill out with the sarcastic comments. They appear very rude.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:

We know there is water on other planets? Absolutely wrong. We know there are water molecules throughout the Universe, but this is the first time we've SEEN liquid water on another celestial body. That in itself is friggin amazing. Common sense isn't scientific proof. Its common sense that out of the 40 billion galaxies throughout the universe, there has to be intelligent life somewhere. Thats obvious. But that isn't proof.

You're second paragraph is your first paragraph in disguise so I won't bother.

We are searching for "life as we know it". This is something repeated very often. Life as we know it needs 3 things: liquid water, some kind of atmosphere with oxygen, and energy. We're looking for those three things. We can't look for something we don't know exists because we don't know it exists.

And yeah, quit being an ass. You have no idea how important this is.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why is it so important? It's not that we're going to live on Saturns moon or build crap on it.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's important because it's proof, albeit small, that there CAN BE life on other planets.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If liquid water can exist on a moon the size of England or Arizona, then chances are it can exist on an extrasolar terrestrial planet. If bacteria is ever found on Enceladus, then life can exist pretty much anywhere. Considering Enceladus is a moon of Saturn, and Saturn is extremely far away from the Sun, its amazing that it has liquid water. There are so many factors that make it possible. Right now they're saying that since Saturn reflects more energy than it actually absorbs, it probably heated up the moon. They also said energy may have been created through flexing due to gravity from several celestial bodies, and that combined with Saturn's reflected energy may have melted the ice.

I bet you guys wouldn't be impressed if we were able to detect Black Holes...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
I bet you guys wouldn't be impressed if we were able to detect Black Holes...
I'm not impressed because it isn't affecting the way we live life today. Maybe in the future, when our grand kids are alive, we might, or maybe worry.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I suppose extraterrestrial life would have to castrate you before it matters.

Best answers
*sigh*

It is interesting.

I find it fascianting that ya'll are able to dispute this -- positively or negatively -- in regards to this issue. I like to stay neutral, and I'll say this: it is interesting, in a remote fact type of way... But what does it mean us? I care as much for this as I care for knowing that the dirt that's on my shoes was stepped on by a great Indian war chief.. Not at all. It's a cool fact, but so what? It wont change me in anyway. That's how I view this water on a moon...

It's very interesting, and when they get more information, I will be glad to hear some more.

I don't see why ya'll are gettin so worked up about it, though.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If life can exist on a moon where it shouldn't be possible, then life can definately survive elsewhere. They aren't searching for water just to say "HEY LOOK! THERES WATER!". They're searching for life; intelligent life. If searching for and finding extraterrestrial intelligent life isn't interesting, then I don't know what is. We're taking this in baby steps, but eventually we'll find what we're looking for. Hubble can almost see the beginning of the Universe. It think we're able to see 14 billion years or so into the past. Once we launch the new telescope, we'll be able to see even farther. Maybe we'll be able to find extrasolar terrestrial planets that meet the requirements for life as we know it. That'd be a lot better then having to stare at a star and try to see if a wobble effect is present.

Best answers
Like I said... it IS interesting. But it doesn't affect any of us right now. Hence the reason I don't find arguing the value of this information very constructive.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats some extremely short-sighted thinking, but ok. Why think ahead, right?

Best answers
Short-sighted? Buddy, we (meaning our generation) aint gonna live to see them MAKE anything of this particular find.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you say so, "buddy". If you say so.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not caring about what is affecting you now is kinda like not carring about the national debt (for the americans), the natural resource consumption, or global warming because you think you won't be alive to experience it.

I say it's pretty interesting that water was found there. Maybe a new source of energy can be found on other planets, or a jewel surpassing the diamond, we really have no idea what to expect on planets that are not earth. Maybe their is a new type of organism kingdom, maybe the organisms aren't synced with our dimension, we are going by what we know what life to be.

It doesn' t affect us today, but the idea of not caring about a console until it is out is basically the same way of thinking as well, though I understand where thoughts like this are comming from. If we can eventually find a new planet for humans to live on, we can migrate the population if Earth begins to decay at a dangerous level (...somehow).

But I really hope we don't find an intellgence to equal to or better than the human intelligence, because I can garuntee some war will start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom