warning p2p program users

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its finally happened, *sighs, anyone (i think that includes anyone in the world) that own p2p programs are now being watch and will get fined $1000 if caught download copyrighted songs. the only way it seeems you can get caught is if you download anything off the network. i use kazaa lite (non-spyware, adware) but i need to view certain vids on my computer. im not trying to promote warez or anything like that, but i think anyone with a p2p program should take extreme caution and maybe even stop using a p2p program.

=/\/\C

Best answers
my cousin say's you can still d/l games off kazaal and imesh but i think you'll be watched 2 o_o

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its not the downloading u get introuble for its the hosting the files for other users.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can you post a link to an official thingamabob, I'd like to read more into this.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"US CODE COLLECTION, CHAPTER 10 - DIGITAL AUDIO RECORDING DEVICES AND MEDIA" states as follows:

“No action may be brought under this title alleging infringement of copyright based on the manufacture, importation, or distribution of a digital audio recording device, a digital audio recording medium, an analog recording device, or an analog recording medium, or based on the noncommercial use by a consumer of such a device or medium for making digital musical recordings or analog musical recordings.“

So generally, downloading copyrighted music is highly legal as long as you don't burn it to a CD/sell it.

Best answers
yeah they are my freind told me about this too. but the best way to keep any musci u have downloaded hidden on kazaa, is to not share it, just right click the file and hit dont share that way theres no way they can get it.

Best answers
maxstokkebye2 said:
yeah they are my freind told me about this too. but the best way to keep any musci u have downloaded hidden on kazaa, is to not share it, just right click the file and hit dont share that way theres no way they can get it.
yeah but if no1 share, no more thing to dl, so doing that is dumb :/

theres like 1 million ppl using kazaa, they wont go at each house check on ur comp if u have kazaa.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pink_Fat_buu said:
yeah but if no1 share, no more thing to dl, so doing that is dumb :/

theres like 1 million ppl using kazaa, they wont go at each house check on ur comp if u have kazaa.
also there are 230 million users using kazaa. and they arent seeing if you have kazaa, their seeing if your downloading anything illegal on the network. you can keep kazaa, as long as you dont use it to download and have people download off of you.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=676&e=2&u=/usatoday/5275821

=/\/\C

Best answers
MC said:
also there are 230 million users using kazaa. and they arent seeing if you have kazaa, their seeing if your downloading anything illegal on the network. you can keep kazaa, as long as you dont use it to download and have people download off of you.
Why do ppl have kazaa installed? not for the fun of having it on the comp, its to dl illegal music, video, games and blablabla, and why ppl would keep kazaa for somehting other than that? what can u do cept dling and sending stuff? nuthin :/

and i dont think they gonna make 230million ppl pay 1000$ :/ cuz what if no1 pay? what can they do to 230 million ppl? :confused:

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You cannot bring a "class action" suit against the public, or a 230 million strong group. You can't individually try 230 Million people, that's tens of thousands of dollars, and millions of ISP DNS/MAC records would have to be looked through. The recording labels cannot afford this kind of battle.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The fbi has been monitoring and sending out auto emails to isps to recommend shutting off the users. There monitoring kazaa. Kazaa is not a true p2p program. If the control server goes down then kazaa goes down. An example of a true p2p program is direct connect. In the US and some other country's it is legal to have digital copies of your songs that you have purchased. There is no way to tell if you have the songs or not unless they obtain a search warrent and go through your house for the cds which would be absurd. The riaa has continually tried sinister things to try and counter this. They tried to slip in a line into a bill, that almost passed, that they would be able to hack into anyone's computer in search of copywrited items. They have also tried a number of different bills and ideas to gain such leverage but have failed. We're lucky that some part of the us goverment still works. Also if somethign large was to happen there would be an appeal and most likely be overturned as in a couple of cases recently dealing with the open source community and linux. This is a subject me and my friends discuss a lot so forgive me if I ranted.

Best answers
A question, is downloading a non-us copyrighted material through p2p illegal? I don't think it is...

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sasuke said:
A question, is downloading a non-us copyrighted material through p2p illegal? I don't think it is...
no, its not illegal if you download non-copyrighted material, just copywrited stuff.

Pink_Fat_buu said:
Why do ppl have kazaa installed? not for the fun of having it on the comp, its to dl illegal music, video, games and blablabla, and why ppl would keep kazaa for somehting other than that? what can u do cept dling and sending stuff? nuthin :/

and i dont think they gonna make 230million ppl pay 1000$ :/ cuz what if no1 pay? what can they do to 230 million ppl?
i need it to view certain vids on my computer.

=/\/\C

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the only thing I download is music,software,and videos nothing else.....But I took them out of my shared folder to put it in my other drive so I'm not gonna get caught I guess...Anyway there lots of websites that let you download music and lots of websites who let you download dbz videos >_< How come they don't tell them nothing!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"Well the only thing I download is music,software,and videos nothing else....."

What else is there? Text files of Stephen King books?

Freeloading jerk kids...you're all going to end up getting the internet regulated and taxed by the government just so you can download DBZ eps, scooby doo, and 3dsmax...****in' A.

(And for the record, those DBZ sites get shut down and forced to remove the episodes all the time).

Best answers
well i think that its absurd that they would even THINK of fining us for somthing like that its kinda alot with such a community... but i think its also to scare ppl into to not sharing anymore... cause if ppl stop sharing... ppl cant download... and if that happens WE are the ones to blame for any p2p's downfall not the government or RIAA cause they can try and sue us all but its too big of a community... so by not only saying somthing like fining us all its incentive to stop us from sharing and downloading so it works both ways to stop spreading of music.. wether they DO fine us or wether we stop sharing... its a risk we have to take on wether this is THAT important to the community to keep p2p alive...

Best answers
the music industry are rather selfish to be taking such drastic action, it's not as if the industry is collapsing as a result of this.
reminds me of the metallica drummer, Lars Ulrich who shut down Napster and became....well, a very much hated guy by many napster users.

Music download programs open the field of availablity of music to millions of fans and people may stumble into music that they never heard before and find that they love it, then go out and buy that groups CD's. Music download programs are a fail-safe to wasting money on music you don't like. Say a person walks into a music store and sees a CD that got mixed reviews. They can go home and download a couple songs to see if they like it or not. If they don't, they saved their money, if they do, they go back and buy something that they know they'll like instead of not taking a chance on something they don't know much about.

You may say, "Yeah, but why spend money when you can download the whole CD", but I think you'd be surprised by how many people who go buy the CD, I know I do. Music download programs just get the bad wrap for the people that download entire albums, but that is a minority to the casual music downloaders. I know many people that buy a band's CD after downloading a couple songs, and I personally hate burned CDs and have nothing but the actual, printed versions.

I only download songs if they are a random assortment that I'm putting together (like a 70's mix or something like VH1's recent greatest songs list). Otherwise I buy the CD. Besides, you look like such a cheap ass when you show people your CD "collection" that consists of purely burned CD's.

Best answers
Well this is the best part of living in holland!
U can't get cought.. yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom