Warlock draining a soul. (WoW Fan art)

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Warlock draining a soul. (Update: Wed,Oct 17)

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/118/amarrosrefpc8.jpg
Alright I fully intend to complete this art piece and have it look damn good by the time its done which is why I'm posting it here for critique and the like.

Things I plan on changing so far:
-Must look younger.
-Making hair look longer (Currently put to the back, somewhat ugly at that)

I intend to have this warlock draining a soul with his right hand, the dark purple energies will be absorbed through his hand. On his other hand it will be unleashed/re-absorbed into the soulshard. (Soul shard is place holder ATM, will be half-empty/half-cystalized with final effects added VIA photoshop)
He will be wearing a robe/horns.

I need replies on this thread/art as it updates please, feed back is greatly appreciated.
Harsh critique is accepted, just keep it constructive.
I plan on making this similar to the Bruce Lee art(partial anime-like figure/Line art/detailed colour).

Best answers
Dude! That looks pretty good. Sorry, i'm not good at giving proper crits.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the armour on his closest shoulder (in terms of perspective) looks weird... almost like you've forgotten which planes you're drawing.

generally speaking it looks ok, but the front hand is way too big, should only be about as big as his head, have you tried setting up some perspective lines? it might help.

to clarify about the front shoulder pad, it looks like it's angled the wrong way.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks good so far. Those are some badass looking shoulders, even if they look a little bit weird (as Lee said). Although I think I know why you did that. When a person raises their arm, the shoulder would no longer be able to perfectly curve around it. It would be lifted up. So once the arm drops, it would look more like the right shoulder.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nah, what i mean is... he's drawn it with the hand moved toward the camera from the body, while the shoulder pad is angled as if the hand were moved away from the camera, either paralel or back from the body.

edit:

shouldn't a warlock, who's about to steal someones soul, have a slightly more sinister, and less passive face?

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the armour on his closest shoulder (in terms of perspective) looks weird... almost like you've forgotten which planes you're drawing.*

generally speaking it looks ok, but the front hand is way too big, should only be about as big as his head, have you tried setting up some perspective lines? it might help.

to clarify about the front shoulder pad, it looks like it's angled the wrong way.
shouldn't a warlock, who's about to steal someones soul, have a slightly more sinister, and less passive face?
Thank you for the critique, made some edits hopefully a step forward.
(You're also quite true on the first part, had just came out of WoW in-game with the cartoony-like mindset/art style of the game. Also attempted to gather too much from the reference screenshot.*)

-Tilted his eye brows to be more angry and a grin to be more menacing.
-Tilted the shoulder pad, hopefully adjusting to look more proper in perspective.
-Redrew his right hand/arm to reflect above change.
-Added some of his hair to show in the front shoulder for general idea of length.
-Added the protective pads under the shoulder pauldrons.

Dude! That looks pretty good. Sorry, i'm not good at giving proper crits.
Support/Motivation is welcome. :]

Edit- I think I need to scale up the right hand a tad, and add a bit more of the protective pad in his right shoulder pauldron. (Similar to his left one, instead of just 'ending.')

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok, when i say right, i mean his right. just so i'm clear :p

the left hand size is just about right, so is the other now, i like how it looks, it feels much more relaxed.

time to push it now though, how far into the spell is he? and if he's taking someones soul, does it make sense that the casting hand is facing them in a "ima blow you up foo" position, rather than having it turned round, with the fingers somewhat clenched in a "come here" kinda motion?

i would imagine any form of necromancy would be quite stressful too, as getting it wrong kills you, try to express that in his body, or face, add some tension to his muscles and posture etc.

it's coming along great. should be really good when you're finished.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Further progressed on the art.
Need C+C Please, thanks.

-Added more length to the hair on the sides of his face.
-Added horns (Place holder), as well as the rest of his hair.
-Added more progression on his main robe piece with belt.
-Cleaned up shoulder pads a tad.
-Added an over-sketch of the intended concept over the line art.

---
Made some progress.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to go ahead and say, that is ****ing AWESOME! \o/

Just letting you know, if you **** up on the soul drain effects, I will send a team of monkey assassins to kill you.

Yeah. Kill you.

Otherwise, very, VERY good job :)

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm a bit perplexed about the shoulders colour scheme, as you can see on the reference picture its more of a darker red than the purple he has on the robe. (RP servers = +Dress up game)
Not sure if I should have the shoulders match the robe, or continue with the dark red they normally are.
I also forgot the cape, which I will probably be removing the small.. cape-attacher things on his shoulders.

Maybe short-cut it and make a new layer with the blue tint over the actual robe, like the way it was drawn.

Best answers
I'm so confused... is there a face in his shoulder?

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

I'm still going to finish it.. Aheh, it'll be a christmas present.
But yeah, C+C and I'm not going to do much more with the right hand, as it'll be illuminated by the 2nd light source.
(Drain soul effect, on his left and right hands.)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's ****ing awesome!

Did you deliberately leave the belt uncolored?

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Final 'wip' shot before I finish.
Any C+C before I touch up the colouring and add the effects?
Edit- Yes, I've already filled in his ear.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The horns look like they're just floating there. Try to make it look like they're actually protruding from the head with some extra shading and highlighting

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
great !!! hei you paint its with opencavas or photoshop , and if you have a digital table for paint it , is hard paint with the mouse.
soory english

Best answers
This is probably way too late, but the drawing misses dynamics and expression.. It's way too static, too puppet-like. Imagine yourself standing in a position like that, even try to mimic the pose yourself.. It'll feel uncomfortable and unnatural.

Another thing is proportions. The frontal hand should be a tad bigger and should be turned a bit clockwise (now his wrist seems broken). The head is too big as well.

Other than that, it's nicely drawn.. Not really my style, though.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Due to my stupidy for trying out Ubuntu, wiping out my hard drive and currently recovering from a reformat I would like to state:
I will no longer be working on this art as I no longer have the software, nor files to continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom