Want lagless water? all mappers read

Best answers
Alright ever notice how when you create a map with lots of water you get a nice drop in framerate and some increase in ping? well its because the waves are being rendered constantly, and they are rendered everywhere on the map, now do you want a solution?

ok download wally, search for it on google

now load up your wad that includes water textures and all that good stuff, now notice that all of the water textures have a ! behind the texture name? well edit the texture name and remove that ! and now when you create water for your map, there will be no waves and therefore, water will not be constantly rendered and will be a big waveless pool or whatever

well now theres a bugfix i have, when you go underneath this lagless water you can see past the surface of the water and enemies above water cant see you, well heres a fix, make an identical copy of the water area and shrink its height and stick it right underneath the water surface and make it a func_illusionary

and make sure that body of water is a func_water :)

have fun creating smoother maps

I hope the maker(s) of the esf maps with plenty of water in them take this suggestion into mind for future beta's

and heres a side note, decreases compile time

-Guerilla

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
i´ve already known that, but .. oh well .. nice tutorial ^_^

Best answers
Problem I would do that to to increase FPS but...
There is a slight problem you see maps for HL will only compile with less than 60,000 patches...Func_water just adds crap loads of patches. so can't do it. As for the func_illusion the powerup sprite is that of dust instead of water so we can't use that just because of looks.

Retired
Best answers
Been thier done that. the real problem with that is when powering up it checks to see if you are above water or land. weather its an func_water or a !water, putting any non-water brush on top will mess up the pwr-up fx. i have a few other ideas on how to fix. but i give you props for thinking of it. most people would not have.

edit: doh helps when i read strykers post too :). note to self wait till i am fully awake b4 posting

Best answers
Originally posted by [ESF]zero
Been thier done that. the real problem with that is when powering up it checks to see if you are above water or land. weather its an func_water or a !water, putting any non-water brush on top will mess up the pwr-up fx. i have a few other ideas on how to fix. but i give you props for thinking of it. most people would not have.

edit: doh helps when i read strykers post too :). note to self wait till i am fully awake b4 posting
so what you are saying is that if you have eather a !water textures or a func_water it will be a water effect...like if you have a just a ordonary block with no enititys ties to it but have teh texture of !water it will have a water effect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom