Walmart return policy loophole?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm, I thought about this during Christmas.

At my walmart, if you buy a game and have it opened, you can no longer return it for a full money refund, but only for an exact copy of the game.

So I was thinking...

What if I bought a game, played it and beat it, and went to get my money back and they didn't let me, so I just get an exact brand spanking new unopened copy of it. Can I just go straight back and tell them I want to return the game they just exchanged, since you know, I have a receipt saying I bought it and it's unopened?

So, in short, my plan is, return an opened game to walmart, exchange for an unopened version, and turn around and return that unopened version for your money back.

Will it work?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
meh, ignore any and all signs on the wall about any return policy at wal-mart.

my cousin bought a 360 at a GAMESTOP, 2 1/2 weeks later it got the red lights, knowing that gamestop wouldn't take it back he took it to walmart instead and said it was a birthday present, so he didnt have the reciept. (which was a full on lie). At first they said they could only offer an exchange, so his foot was in the door. He could get a brand new 360 for trading in his broken one, but he wanted a wii instead.

so he said that it breaking was kind of a buzzkill on him wanting another 360 so they paid him full price back for it, for a 360 that wasnt even purchased there. The chances that this will work at all wal-mart locations is sketchy, but ive been returning stuff there for years against their policy, (cash back instead of a exchange on software and the like) and not once have i been told no.

you are going to way too much trouble just to "scam" wal-mart.

if this kind of thing floats your boat however, just go to gamestop, an employee once explained to me how to "exploit" their exchange system.

you have 7 days no questions asked, you can take it home, beat it and bring it back for an exchange of any game at same price or store credit of its full purchase price, essentially renting a new copy of any game over and over again.

so much as he explained, they dont care for what reason your brining it back, so long as its within that 7 days.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

my cousin bought a 360 at a GAMESTOP, 2 1/2 weeks later it got the red lights, knowing that gamestop wouldn't take it back he took it to walmart instead and said it was a birthday present, so he didnt have the reciept. (which was a full on lie). At first they said they could only offer an exchange, so his foot was in the door. He could get a brand new 360 for trading in his broken one, but he wanted a wii instead.

so he said that it breaking was kind of a buzzkill on him wanting another 360 so they paid him full price back for it, for a 360 that wasnt even purchased there. The chances that this will work at all wal-mart locations is sketchy, but ive been returning stuff there for years against their policy, (cash back instead of a exchange on software and the like) and not once have i been told no.

if this kind of thing floats your boat however, just go to gamestop, an employee once explained to me how to "exploit" their exchange system.

you have 7 days no questions asked, you can take it home, beat it and bring it back for an exchange of any game at same price or store credit of its full purchase price, essentially renting a new copy of any game over and over again.

so much as he explained, they dont care for what reason your brining it back, so long as its within that 7 days.
Yeah, I got guitar hero 3 and I'm going to return it today to get my money back, and get the Les Paul Gibson guitar over this X-plorer guitar. walmart does not sell the Les Paul Gibson guitar, so I do need to make an exchange with them to get my money back.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm, I thought about this during Christmas.

At my walmart, if you buy a game and have it opened, you can no longer return it for a full money refund, but only for an exact copy of the game.

So I was thinking...

What if I bought a game, played it and beat it, and went to get my money back and they didn't let me, so I just get an exact brand spanking new unopened copy of it. Can I just go straight back and tell them I want to return the game they just exchanged, since you know, I have a receipt saying I bought it and it's unopened?

So, in short, my plan is, return an opened game to walmart, exchange for an unopened version, and turn around and return that unopened version for your money back.

Will it work?
It might--I know some stores will mark on your receipt what's happened--might not let you return it twice.

That's not necessarily 'abusing' GameStop's policy--the store I worked in, we actually went out of our way to tell people that. It gets parents to buy kids games they're on the edge about, because they can return it for another game within a week. Some stores will let you use them as a rental place--paying only the initial cost of the 7-day period, but in my store, if we noticed people doing that, my manager would talk to the customer.

Best answers
Kaination post how it goes, i'd like to try something like that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't try it :<

What I did do though was I bought guitar hreo 3 with the X-plorer and wanted the Les Paul, so after I played with the X-plorer, all I did was buy the Les Paul (had to have a $110 on hands), and i switched the games and put the x-plorer in it's original packing, and bam. Retruned it and made it look like I never opened it at all.

got my $100 back, so in all I only really paid $110.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom