Vista Gets PWNED

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If I say I lolled, does that make me even more of a geek?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tell the people in all of the lands "Microsoft just got Owned by a student"

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I don't see how this is pwning, I've used vlite half a year ago when I installed Vista on my pc (Using XP again). All it does is removing some parts, so what? :p. New features of Vista may be big, yes.. But I seriously don't see how this is pwning. Sure 15gig is big, and 1.3 - 1.5gig is hella lot better, but removing some pretty big features on the installation, is not pwning at all.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't see how this is pwning, I've used vlite half a year ago when I installed Vista on my pc (Using XP again). All it does is removing some parts, so what? :p. New features of Vista may be big, yes.. But I seriously don't see how this is pwning. Sure 15gig is big, and 1.3 - 1.5gig is hella lot better, but removing some pretty big features on the installation, is not pwning at all.
It's giving you freedom that Microsoft themselves don't give you. That's pwning.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
It's giving you freedom that Microsoft themselves don't give you. That's pwning.
Even though vlite has been out for ages.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Huh...Well, at least it gives me more reason to bother upgrading to Vista in the future. I've only considered it because of Direct X 10 really, but since I know that Vista's processes tend to devour your resources even when idle, I can't have that much crap slowing me down. I work in 3D animation, and the better performance I can get, and the faster the rendering times, the better. With something like this, I might just get the best of both worlds. Sounds pretty win-win to me. Just have to wait for people to sign off on Vista as being beyond it's Beta stage and actually being a stable OS.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Rendering probably won't get much faster with freeing up disk space. RAM and CPU are waaaay more important.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Rendering probably won't get much faster with freeing up disk space. RAM and CPU are waaaay more important.
I guess it removes uneeded processes. And that frees up RAM and CPU.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess it removes uneeded processes. And that frees up RAM and CPU.
Exactly. I hear Vista, as it is now, runs so many background processes even when idle, that it's like running Half Life 2 in the background of everything you do. If that could be adjusted, I'd be much more convinced to upgrade to Vista.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, nothing new here. XP has been pwning Vista for over a year now.

I might check this out... might. I'm pretty cozy as it is with XP, and should I tire of that, I need simply boot into Ubuntu.

In fact, Vista has so many issues that there is an entire page devoted to it on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Windows_Vista
Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Windows_XP

Or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Linux

Or the criticism section of the Windows 9x, Windows ME articles.

No difference.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Exactly. I hear Vista, as it is now, runs so many background processes even when idle, that it's like running Half Life 2 in the background of everything you do. If that could be adjusted, I'd be much more convinced to upgrade to Vista.
It's not running that many processes in the background, at least not a lot more than XP is. The problem is that some of the processes take a ****load of memory to use. Specifically 2, one being dwm.exe, which is basically the Aero desktop. The other being explorer.exe, which regulates the entire indexing thing Vista does(you know, for the instant searching of files on indexed disks.)The sidebar also uses a lot of memory. But as you can see all these things are more or less optional, so you can save some memory with that. But unless this mini version of Vista disables those (which I doubt, because they are the features that makes Vista, Vista) you probably won't save that much memory.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not running that many processes in the background, at least not a lot more than XP is. The problem is that some of the processes take a ****load of memory to use. Specifically 2, one being dwm.exe, which is basically the Aero desktop. The other being explorer.exe, which regulates the entire indexing thing Vista does(you know, for the instant searching of files on indexed disks.)The sidebar also uses a lot of memory. But as you can see all these things are more or less optional, so you can save some memory with that. But unless this mini version of Vista disables those (which I doubt, because they are the features that makes Vista, Vista) you probably won't save that much memory.
This is not true. I don't know how many times I've heard this fallacious argument. Vista has higher requirements than XP, yes. But the high RAM usage (which is a good thing) is not indicative of that high requirement.

XP's architecture is built around using as little memory as possible. So as little as possible would be loaded into RAM as possible, meaning when it came time to use something, ALL that data had to put fed into the RAM from the slow hard drive.

Vista's architecture is based around a function called "SuperFetch." It keeps more things in the RAM, ready for quick, faster-than-hard-drive access, so you get it FASTER (i.e. MORE PERFORMANCE) when you need it. If you're using MS Office every day from 2:00 to 4:00PM, Vista will load much of it into memory, decreasing your start-up and access times, whereas in XP, it'll have to load all of it into RAM when you click the open button.

Vista tries to anticipate your habits and plan accordingly.

Even on my system, which has 4GB, the OS usually has around 2.6GB loaded into RAM. This doesn't mean that the system is "bogged down"--it means it's taking ADVANTAGE of my RAM. If you need the RAM for something intensive, such as a game, it'll quickly/instantly flush everything out and replace it with the game, which is what would have happened anyway under XP.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh, even if a lot of the stuff is superfluous, when I buy Vista eventually, I want my money's worth.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh, even if a lot of the stuff is superfluous, when I buy Vista eventually, I want my money's worth.
If you hold off long enough, you'll be able to get Windows 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom